PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Proxy List

pkain762
01-05-2008, 03:11
me and my buddy are trying out a couple of new armies... and i wanted to see how the dwarves play... i like the models/style/and theory behind the dwarves, so i wanted to see if i liked how the army played out...

so here is a 2000 pt list..... it's my first dwarf list.... so be brutal and let me know what works and what doesn't.....

General: thane 137 pts (goes w/hammerers)
Oath stone, shield, RoSwiftness RoResistance

Heroes: Thane 79 (goes w/thunderers)
GW, dwarf hand gun

Rune Smith 151 (goes with other thunderers)
RoSpellbreaking, Robalance, GW, Shield

Engineer 74 (goes w/cannon)
GW

Core

warriors 205
*20 w/command

thunderers 165
*14 w/command

thunderers 165
*14 w/command

Special

Bolt thrower 60
Engineer RoBurning

Cannon 100
RoReloading

Hammerers 240
*15 w/command
RoCourage

IronBreakers 275
*15 w/command
RoSlowness

Rare

Slayers 222
*20 w/standard banner

Organ Gun 120

Total 1998

like i said let me know... be brutal.... and help a brother out haha

kain

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 05:43
Slayers aren't rare... so you've got 5 special choices. I would dump the slayers entirely and bulk up your iron breakers and hammerers. Also, I like have ranks of six for hammerer units. Try 18 for the Hammerers and 20, 24, or 25 for the iron breakers which tend to need their ranks. You should still have quite a bit of extra points from the slayer unit, so I'd recommend getting another bolt thrower.

Sarael
01-05-2008, 09:06
I love the fluff behind Slayers. I hate the rules for Slayers. They are too expensive for how fragile they are. Outside of the WS & T of 4 and the axe, there's nothing else about them that says "Dwarf". Plus, they're Special, not Rare.

After dropping the slayers and thinning down your 2 units of 14 gunners to 3 units of 10, I'd bulk up the combat units a bit more, possibly add another BT (always worth their points from my experience on the recieving end, and I run a speed list).

If you feel you MUST have the slayers, then drop the BT and still turn your thunderer units into 3 of 10. Tunderers pepper the approaching enemy thinning them down so they don't have quite so many ranks, then provide flanking units for your big combat blocks. Anticipate where combat is going to take place and set your big blocks up so that the gunners can support them.

pkain762
01-05-2008, 12:43
thanks for the info, i must have read the slayers off of the wrong page.... but hey that's why i put this list up there..... so since the slayers..... generally are just tarpits... is what i've read and you're saying..... i am going to add another unit of thunderers and beef up the combat squads... and i'll see if i can fit another war machine in there

i'll post the update when i get home from work... thanks for the help

and if i wanted to take another bolt thrower wouldn't i have to drop a special choice.... cause you can only have four special choices right? i'd look it up but i'm at work

kain

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 15:32
and if i wanted to take another bolt thrower wouldn't i have to drop a special choice.... cause you can only have four special choices right? i'd look it up but i'm at work

kain

2 Dwarf Bolt Throwers = 1 Special Choice. Thus, most players take 2 or none. Personally I'm a fan as they're cheap warmachines that provide good support for my beloved organ guns.

pkain762
01-05-2008, 15:35
ok you see i didn't know you could take two bolt throwers for one special choice.... thanks for the info..... i just got the army book yesterday so i'm still reading through a lot of the rules

kain

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 16:35
ok you see i didn't know you could take two bolt throwers for one special choice.... thanks for the info..... i just got the army book yesterday so i'm still reading through a lot of the rules

kain

Quite understandable. If you have other questions feel free to ask!

pkain762
01-05-2008, 17:40
yeah i think i know the answer but i'm just making sure...... w/the two bolt throwers as 1 special choice.... they each ge their own crew right? so there would be six guys (three for each BT)?

just making sure i'm correct on this

and here is my new and improved list

GW, dwarf hand gun

Engineer 89 (goes w/cannon)
GW RoWarding

Core

warriors 205
*20 w/command

thunderers 125
*10 w/command

thunderers 125
*10 w/command

thunderers 125
*10 w/command

Special

Bolt thrower 65
Engineer RoBurning

Bolt Thrower 60
engineer

Cannon 100
RoReloading

Hammerers 276
*18 w/command
RoCourage

IronBreakers 340
*20 w/command
RoSlowness

Rare

Organ Gun 120

Total 1982

how's that looking?

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 18:04
You are right in the six crew and that list looks a lot better to me. Use the extra points you have to put some Runes of Stone on your characters. The +1 armor save sometimes makes all the difference.

Emeraldw
01-05-2008, 23:00
I tried building your list in Army Builder, according to it your over 2k with your second list. The issues seems to be with thunderers, they are 140 with no options on them. It is 14 points a model.

Unless you meant Quarrellers, in which case they are 11, with crossbows and with no champion (but with SB and musician) are 125.

With those changes, it comes out to be exactly 2k.

pkain762
02-05-2008, 00:40
ah.... lookiing at the wrong models in the army book.... haha good deal

kain

pkain762
02-05-2008, 04:13

GW, dwarf hand gun

Engineer 89 (goes w/cannon)
GW RoWarding

Core

warriors 205
*20 w/command

thunderers 155
*10 w/mus and std

thunderers 155
*10 w/mus and std

thunderers 155
*10 w/mus and std

Special

Bolt thrower 65
Engineer RoBurning

Bolt Thrower 60
engineer

Cannon 100
RoReloading

Hammerers 240
*15 w/command
RoCourage

IronBreakers 288
*16 w/command
RoSlowness

Rare

Organ Gun 120

Total 1999

there fixed w/the correct point cost.... i did accidently add up the quarrellers pt cost instead of the thunderers.... whoops haha that's ok rookie dwarf mistake

haha

kain

Dwarf Runelord 45
02-05-2008, 04:38
Ok General on a oath stone cannot move... so even though a 6 inch movement sucks.. do you really want 377 points (General + Hammers as hammers cannot ever abandon the lord unless in a flee reaction) to be avoided and manuvered around so they dont get into combat? It is a choice i do enjoy but only when im playing an player i know i can bait into attacking it....

For example frenzied units... put a gyrocopter in front... frenzied unit charges... gyro flees and smack the frenzied unit is in CC with the Thane. Its a hard trick to manage so because your just trying the army out. I advise for you to take a normal Thane general and beef up your second Thane.

northwoodDreamer
02-05-2008, 05:33
Ok General on a oath stone cannot move... so even though a 6 inch movement sucks.. do you really want 377 points (General + Hammers as hammers cannot ever abandon the lord unless in a flee reaction) to be avoided and manuvered around so they dont get into combat? It is a choice i do enjoy but only when im playing an player i know i can bait into attacking it....

For example frenzied units... put a gyrocopter in front... frenzied unit charges... gyro flees and smack the frenzied unit is in CC with the Thane. Its a hard trick to manage so because your just trying the army out. I advise for you to take a normal Thane general and beef up your second Thane.

That's good advice. I always stay away from commenting on Oath Stones as I feel I don't quite get understand them, but in general I agree with Runelord's comments.

pkain762
02-05-2008, 14:18
good advice... i'll tweek that a lil bit then..... i wasn't aware of that lil tidbit on the oathstone

kain

pkain762
02-05-2008, 14:27
i just read over the oath stone rules...... and it doesn't say that you can not move with that unit.... it says that when you set the stone.... you can not move..... it doesn't say you can not move prior to that..... you set the stone when charged and then you can not move.....

that's what i read... doesn't say you can not move the entire battle.... which i don't think makes any sense

kain

Grom Wronghand
02-05-2008, 14:55
AFAIK, you are right, you can move with the oathstone until you set it. A good trick is purposefully maneuvering them into a position to be flanked or rear charged which your enemy will gladly take, and to their surprise, it won't work.

pkain762
02-05-2008, 16:00
yeah that's why i think i'm going to try it out and see how it works.....

kain