PDA

View Full Version : Working with WE

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 05:59
Edit: Updated list is 10th post.

Thanks for reading this in advance. I'm working on a 2k WE list and right now have 76 points free. Here's my list so far:

1 Highborn (general, with waywatchers) w/ Scout Kindred, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Shield, Light Armour @ 236 pts

1 Spellsinger (probably alone) w/ level 2 upgrade & 2 dispel scrolls @ 175

1 Branchwraith (in a dryad unit) w/ level 1 upgrade & a Cluster of Radiants @ 140

1 Noble w/ Alter Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield @ 158 pts

Characters = 709 pts :eek:

10 Glade Guard @ 120 pts
10 Glade Guard @ 120 pts
10 Glade Guard @ 120 pts
5 Glade Riders w/ musician @ 129 pts
8 Dryads @ 96 pts
8 Dryad @ 96 pts

7 Wardancers @ 126 pts
6 Wardancers @ 108 pts
5 Wild Riders w/ musician @ 130 pts

5 Waywatchers @ 120 pts
1 Great Eagle @ 50 pts

1924 pts so far... quick notes:

I really dig the the general and the waywatchers though I know many others won't. So far in my proxy games they've really performed well as a unit and have succeeded to at least change my opponents' tactics every game. (I love messing with people's minds). So they're staying.

My friends play: HE, VC, TK, DE

I realize I'm kind of top heavy with characters. I feel as if I need the magic protection due to my opponents but am debating dropping the alter noble. I love the idea of him, but he hasn't worked out well for me. I could then drop the Eagle, drop another point somewhere and add the dreaded Treeman. But I already have an eagle, love the model, and like the idea of eagles a lot more than the idea of hulking tree monsters.

So anyways, I'd love some help!

P.S. Haven't fought the new VC book yet... so not a 100% sure what I'm in for.

samuel44
01-05-2008, 10:03
I really don't like the waywatcher nobles, but if you have your mind set on him then its not my place to tell you otherwise.

Keep the alter noble. I find him to be really useful, especially aginst VC where he can't be shot. He's such a good force multiplier, will get you an extra 3-4 wounds in most fights. and he's so quick he should be able to help out in a number of combats where he is needed.

If your playing on aboard with many tress try taking Calaingor's stave, tree-singing is really useful.

I agree the tree-man is great, i always take mine, even when palying smaller 1000pt battles.

Persoanlly i would take 2 squads of wild riders instead of glade guard but thats my personal opinion.

Good luck

samuel44
01-05-2008, 10:13
Just has another look at your list, why not try.

1 Highborn (general, with waywatchers) w/ Scout Kindred, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Shield, Light Armour @ 236 pts

1 Spellsinger (probably alone) w/ level 2 upgrade, dispel scrolls, Calaingor's stave @ 175

1 Branchwraith (in a dryad unit) w/ level 1 upgrade @ 115

1 Noble w/ Alter Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield @ 158 pts

Characters = 684 pts

10 Glade Guard @ 120 pts
10 Glade Guard @ 120 pts
8 Dryads @ 96 pts
8 Dryad @ 96 pts

6 Wardancers @ 108 pts
6 Wardancers @ 108 pts

5 Waywatchers @ 120 pts
Treeman @ 285pts

1997 pts

I would even think about dropping the branchwraith altogether and getting some standards and musicians for some of your other squads. Sure the branchwraith will give you a bit more combat resolution in his one squad, but i think would rather spread it over the whole army with a few standards. However, this could leave you lacking a few dispel dice. Its a tough choice.

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 15:29
I like the list you come up with, and I'll have to give it a try. The problem is I'm really attached to that darn Eagle even though it isn't the most useful... and I really like the 30 GG bows firing across the table. If I dropped the Branchwraith I would only have 3 dd... I don't see that ending well against VC, TK, or HE.

Gaftra
01-05-2008, 16:03
i wouldnt worry about your charecter levels, seems like alot for WE but consider that something like VC, or chaos is usually putting in 100 plus pts. the thing to consider is how youre going to beat sold CR units like dwarfs and lizardmen. these units can be a nightmare with good T and decent saves when youre counting on just wounds. also do you have a BSB and war banner in there? those are two essential tools to winning large combats.

treeman=solid gold always a good choice, just watch out for cannons!

Andrew Luke
01-05-2008, 17:12
Stuff the treeman! ;) If you plunk down an Eagle and waywatchers against me you are getting full comp points! Your right, it is a cool model, and it is so tactically potent as a redirector/march blocker. I say build on that theme (Which is PERFECT for your general) and make a mobile and shooty force. The opponents hitty units spend the game chasing your fast units while they are shot to bits from the woods. Should be a lot more fun for you than plunking down a Treeman and just marching it toward their line, relying on stats to win and not craftiness.

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 18:00
Stuff the treeman! ;) If you plunk down an Eagle and waywatchers against me you are getting full comp points! Your right, it is a cool model, and it is so tactically potent as a redirector/march blocker. I say build on that theme (Which is PERFECT for your general) and make a mobile and shooty force. The opponents hitty units spend the game chasing your fast units while they are shot to bits from the woods. Should be a lot more fun for you than plunking down a Treeman and just marching it toward their line, relying on stats to win and not craftiness.

Well my basic strategy is as follows:

Have a bowline (GG) that forces the opponent to come to you. Cause havoc while they march with Waywatches, my general, the Alter Noble, Eagle, Glade Riders, Treesinging and maybe Wild Riders. Once the opponent gets close to my bowline, bring out the Wardancers and Dryads. It's not an invincible strategy by any means and of course no two games are the same but I think it's a fair one and fluffy. Marching straight towards the enemy seems out of character to me (as you mentioned w/ the Treeman) and simply running around the entire time doesn't seem like my opponents will have a lot of fun. So that's what I'm working out of... which means if I don't end up going with the Treeman I still have 76 points to spend somewhere. 101 if I drop the Cluster of Radiants.

northwoodDreamer
01-05-2008, 21:05
If I was to strip this list down to the models I already own it would look like this:

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders w/ Musician
7 Wardancers
6 Wardancers
5 Waywatchers
1 Great Eagle

It comes out to be just over half of a 2k army.

That really is the core of the army I'm attempting to make. The bowline with the close combat support and then the 3 units to cause havoc in my enemies movement phase (WW, Eagle, GR). So really I need to make my characters and other units go around that core. As previously stated, my buddies play VC, HE, TK, DE, and others may be starting Chaos and Lizardmen. Thus my biggest worries are magic and enemy knights (Black Knights, Dragon Princes, Silver Helms, Cold One Knights, and Knights of the Blood Keep maybe) which move fast enough to not be bugged by my havoc causers (Eagle, etc.) and aren't easy for my lowstrength units to kill. Thus a Spellweaver or a Highborn with Bow of Loren & Arcane Bodkins seem like a good idea. But yeah... just hard making decisions when I don't get to play a whole lot and thus don't get to proxy a lot. So if you have any insight it is most welcome!

P.S. I'm not opposed to mounting my Eagle with a Highborn or Noble in order to free up another rare slot.

SpeedyGoat
01-05-2008, 23:27
If your not sure about keeping your alter then make him into a eagle riding noble with helm, HoDA and a spear instead of GW. Can be a fun alternative to an alter.

As for your core list it looks good.

If you are worried about magic there is no better for wood elves than weaver with the wand, accompany him with a branchie and your set. To make your magic into more than just defense add a spellsinger with caligors to put pressure on their dispel pool.

just some thoughts

northwoodDreamer
02-05-2008, 05:47
Right, so after doing some serious thinking I've now come up with this list:

1 Spellweaver (general) w/ Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Stone of Crystal Mere (in an archer unit)
1 Noble w/ Great Eagle, Additional Hand Weapon, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow

10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders w/ Musician

7 Wardancers
6 Wardancers
5 Wild Riders w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner

5 Waywatchers
1 Treeman

1999 pts.

Kept my core, have decent anti-magic (not sure how it'll stack up vs. the likes of VC, TK, and HE), and now have quite a few units to mess with my opponents. The Noble is unique but should be a very effective Wizard or warmachine hunter with 7 str 4 attacks (including eagle) on the charge. The presence of a Treeman should draw a lot of focus from my opponent when it really isn't crucial to my battle plan. I'm not sure if the Wild Riders are overkill with the War Banner. Also, this list looks like it'll have problems with enemy knights. I miss my lord with bow of loren and arcane bodkins... hmm. Any general advice on the list?

samuel44
02-05-2008, 07:37
I find the bow of loren, arcane bodkins combo is not great, anyone who knows what they're doing will keep they're knights hidden/safe. It justs takes up lots of points on your lord that you don't really need. Do what wood elves always do, surrond and then multi-charge. Or, block they're path with trees, can really mess up the oponents day.

Looks good though, tell us how you do.

warhawk95
02-05-2008, 15:46
I find the bow of loren, arcane bodkins combo is not great, anyone who knows what they're doing will keep they're knights hidden/safe.

This is the reason I would take him, just by putting him on the table your opponent will keep his knights out of this guys 30 inch bow shot range and if you make him an alter (like i do) then it really 48 inch range. I would keep him and make him an alter then your opponents high AS units have to fear the GG at short range, the HB alter, and the WW due to KB (at short range).

I liked the first list alot more than the new one. I would change one or two things though, first off drop the lvl 2 on the SS with the scrolls it is really wasted points, she still wont be able to get anything off against the standard magic defense. I would then suggest changing the HB to an alter for the extra attack for the BL combo and give him the helm of the hunt and a GW. He is fragile so you could give him a WS instead of the helm. Then I would drop the second alter altogether, beef up the WW to 6 and both WD units to 7, add in a standard to the WR unit. Then with the remainig points get another unit like a WHR, they would add to the mobility theme of the army and shooting, plus they are excellent mage killers w/ hit and run.

Overall it is a good list but if you change what I suggested then it really just makes it more efficent IMO:cool:

northwoodDreamer
02-05-2008, 18:30
Thanks for the advice Warhawk! I think I like your ideas for my first list better than I like my second one too. I'll give them both a try tonight as I'm proxying with a couple buddies and see which I like better. Thanks for the help everyone! And feel free to continue commenting if you'd like.

SpeedyGoat
02-05-2008, 21:43
just a few notes on your second list if you do plan to use it. Tour eagle noble is illegal as you can't have XHW while mounted. It's best to just give him a spear for S5 on the charge.

I would probably just take 3 scrolls and ranus on your waever if your going to take him. Not sure what you meant by lvl 2 on yor waever as he comes as lvl 3 min.

northwoodDreamer
03-05-2008, 05:01
Well I played a proxy game using the second list and got a minor victory over HE. It was just barely a minor victory when I had scored a solid victory against the player before. My Treeman, Wild Riders, and Wardancers all drastically underperformed. The Noble killed 8 Swordsmasters with HoDA but was then shot down by Shadow Warriors. My mage did nothing, as the opponent didn't go too heavy with magic. I had absolutely no answer for his White Lion unit (20 strong) and his 5 Dragon Princes w/ a Lord with the +3 str lance chewed me apart - though in my sixth turn I had wiped out the DP's but hadn't touched his lord. I was unable to kill a single one of his characters. So, I'm going back to the original list.

I now played a game using the original list with the changes recommended by Warhawk against a TK army. I caused him to forfeit in his third turn and at that point had enough points for a minor victory. Needless to say, I was a lot more happy with that result. The Warhawk Riders knocked out a Screaming Skull Catapault crew in my second turn and his heirophant (sp?) which was in a unit of Tomb Guard in my third turn without sustaining a single casualty. So I'll be sticking with that list. Thanks for th help everybody!