PDA

View Full Version : Blackadder series 5!!

DeathWish
21-04-2005, 00:48
It's been anounced that the BBC is doing a whole new series of Blackadder!

Whether or not it's going to be set straight after the last one is open for debate but they are going to at least going to be explaining how they survived the last episode when they were ordered to advance towards the enemy very slowly.

Rowan Atkinson is still going to be in it as is the actor who played Baldric (if somebody could remind me what his name is before I go mad it would be much apriciated) though Fry and Laurie have still to be comfirmed.

Rest assured, it will be funny :)

DW

*note* most people have probally already heard this as I read it over five days ago but I can't remember it having being brought up here so hey.

Delicious Soy
21-04-2005, 00:49
Why don't they move it to a new time period like they did with the other seasons?

DeathWish
21-04-2005, 00:54
I don't know what'll they'll do but if they move it much at all it'll become present and that would be................interesting. And they'd have to be fairly carefull if that were to be the case I'd imagine.

DW

Marneus
21-04-2005, 01:23
Tony Robinson plays Baldrick, he used to do this kid show that I loved, just can't remember what it was called.

A soviet russia Blackadder could be interesting, but that'd kinda break the whole englishness of it.

arxhon
21-04-2005, 01:24
That totally rocks. I love Blackadder. It's Rowan Atkinson's finest work, imo. Mr Bean was funny too, but i prefer the Blackadder.

DeathWish
21-04-2005, 01:28
Tony Robinson plays Baldrick, he used to do this kid show that I loved, just can't remember what it was called.

Cheers for that, I hate not being able to remember things like that. Oh and I don't suppose the kids show was called Timmy Mallet or something similar?

DW

Minister
21-04-2005, 01:38

A soviet russia Blackadder could be interesting, but that'd kinda break the whole englishness of it.Maid Marien and her Merry Men as the Sherif of Notingham?

astrocortex
21-04-2005, 02:05
Maid Marien and her Merry Men as the Sherif of Notingham?

He was also the story teller on a kids program called Fat Tullip's Garden

Dargon
21-04-2005, 04:53
*note* most people have probally already heard this as I read it over five days ago but I can't remember it having being brought up here so hey.Well, it's the first I've heard of it, so thanks for the heads up! :D

All I have to say is... FANTASTIC!

Since the last series was during WWI, WWII would be a likely setting for a 5th season, although it would probably be too similar to the 4th Season.

Blackadder in the late 60's surrounded by hippies, drugs and flower power could be highly entertaining.

Or, since Blackadder is usually close to a position of power (though without any of his own), perhaps we will find him a modern industry they can poke fun at, such as the British Music Industry, Television Industry, or Stockmarkets.

Whatever the setting, I know I'll be looking forward to it.

Just a thought...

TheHood
21-04-2005, 05:00
I read an interview with Rowan Atkinson a while back that they were thinking of making a Blackadder film set in Tzarist Russia.

Perhaps that would be incorporated in the new series?

Although of course it has the problems of taking it out of an 'English' setting and it would be set before series 4 in terms of the timeframe.

However, it is a thought.

Cheers

Drabant
21-04-2005, 08:03
Wow, more Blackadder, is it really true? Would feel strange if it wasn't in an English setting though. Maybe a WW2 setting, but those are almost never funny. It's good to see more Blackadder, I've never understood those people who love Mr Bean and dislike Blackadder. Heretics.

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 08:50
Rest assured, it will be funny :)
You obviously don't remember Blackadder: Back and Forth, made a few years ago. An abysmal programme with no real laughs in whatsoever.

I loved the last 3 series, but i won't get my hopes up about this new one til i've seen a few episodes.

Sai-Lauren
21-04-2005, 09:16
Well, one of the things Rowan Atkinson mentioned years ago was a series set in the future , and as Dr Who's basically taken over the entire BBC... :p

The boyz
21-04-2005, 09:19
More Blackadder ideal. I love that program.

salty
21-04-2005, 10:28
I love Blackadder as much as the next guy, but, and I don't want to burst bubbles, last time someone started a Blackadder rumour, the BBC said a firm "Nope. No more Blackie and Balders." :(

It may have ahd something to do with the fact they were toying with setting it in the Swingin 60's, and Baldric was going to be a hippy guitarist called 'Bald Rick'.

Honest to God, no word of a lie!

I do hope it comes back though.

Salty :)

Riddy
21-04-2005, 13:09
Well, one of the things Rowan Atkinson mentioned years ago was a series set in the future , and as Dr Who's basically taken over the entire BBC... :p

And the fact that baldrick has built a working time machine (See Blackadder back and forth, although i would advise you dont) would make this perfectly feasable (sp?)

Drabant
21-04-2005, 13:14
feasable (sp?)

feasible

(filler ;P)

sigur
21-04-2005, 13:15
Wow, great news as I also love this series.

I'd also like seeing it placed in the 60ies, not with all this hippy cliché stuff
(I think we all had enough crappy jokes about soft drugs in the last 10 years), but more sat in a cold war spy's war scenery. I think that there's some kinda tradition of movies with this topic in GB and they could put in some nice references and stuff.

DeathWish
21-04-2005, 13:27
You obviously don't remember Blackadder: Back and Forth, made a few years ago. An abysmal programme with no real laughs in whatsoever.

It'll be the same guy writing it so I'm definitely going to be open minded 'cause he's given us lots of ace stuff and only a little that’s been mediocre so……….

DW

*edit* Never mind I got confused with the "Goes Forth" and "Goes Back and Forth".

Odin
21-04-2005, 13:35
Well, one of the things Rowan Atkinson mentioned years ago was a series set in the future , and as Dr Who's basically taken over the entire BBC...

Maybe they'll merge the two - Rowan Atkinson can be the Doctor, and we finally find out that the Doctor's surname is Blackadder. ;)

Actually, I reckon the best option would be to make him an MP or a Lord. Plenty of opportunity for plotting , backstabbing and scheming there. Baldrick could be his personal assistant. Get Fry and Laurie in there as well and you're away - a cross between Yes Minister and Blackadder (two of my favourite sitcoms).

Edit: I notice by the way that you haven't provided a link. There's nothing about it on the Beeb's website: Blackadder on BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/)

I am sceptical. But I would love it to be true (as long as it's got Ben Elton and Richard Curtis writing, and they make sure it's still funny).

Sai-Lauren
21-04-2005, 13:42

Well, that was done for the millenium dome, and we all know precisely how much came out of that project that was any good :rolleyes:.

DeathWish
21-04-2005, 13:57
Edit: I notice by the way that you haven't provided a link. There's nothing about it on the Beeb's website: Blackadder on BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/)

I am sceptical. But I would love it to be true (as long as it's got Ben Elton and Richard Curtis writing, and they make sure it's still funny).

Well to be honest I read in paper last Friday or Saturday at work. I'm back in to work tomorow so I'll see if it's still kicking about in the staff room.

DW

Paddy
21-04-2005, 13:58
Maybe they'll merge the two - Rowan Atkinson can be the Doctor, and we finally find out that the Doctor's surname is Blackadder. ;)

Actually, I reckon the best option would be to make him an MP or a Lord. Plenty of opportunity for plotting , backstabbing and scheming there. Baldrick could be his personal assistant. Get Fry and Laurie in there as well and you're away - a cross between Yes Minister and Blackadder (two of my favourite sitcoms).

Gagh, beat me to it - I was going to suggest Blackadder a Prime Minister.

I can't decide if a series 5 would be a good thing or not though - remember Only Fools and Horses was ruined when it went past the natural ending ("Time on our hands" - when they became millionaires), and it would be a shame after such a great ending to Goes Forth to have it spoiled (and before anyone says it, specials like Back and Forth don't count, alright! :D )

Odin
21-04-2005, 14:05
Gagh, beat me to it - I was going to suggest Blackadder a Prime Minister.

No, too succesful. He ought to be an MP or a minister. The Prime Minister should be played by Fry or Laurie. I like the idea of Laurie playing a dim PM (a bit like the Prince Regent character in 3rd), with Fry playing someone who pulls the strings, probably competing with Blackadder for who has the most influence. Damn, maybe I should write it.

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 14:24
If they do another series it should still be from history. I don't think it would work as well with modern jokes/references etc. - and making it all about politics would make it just as dull as 'Yes minister', 'Drop the Dead Donkey' et al. Politics and comedy just don't mix in my view.

The special Dickensian 'Blackadder's Christmas Carol' was good, it's just the back and forth monstrosity, mainly because of the modern jokes etc.

sigur
21-04-2005, 14:36
Politics and Humor go together very well and humor HAS to be political from time to time, especially nowadays.

charlie_c67
21-04-2005, 14:40
Nope read a report saying it was gonna be in the sixties and blackadder or bald rick was gonna be the illegitimate son of one of the royal family. Hmmm that claim sounds familiar coughprinceharrycough.

Tony Robinson was indeed the sherriff of nottingham in Maid Marion, he wrote the series too. It also starred Danny John Jules, better known as the cat from Red dwarf or Asad from Blade II. A sorely missed series, at least you can still get the books!

Edit: Oh and Rabies was in Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves.

Sai-Lauren
21-04-2005, 14:50
...making it all about politics would make it just as dull as 'Yes minister', 'Drop the Dead Donkey' et al. Politics and comedy just don't mix in my view.

Sorry, I'll have to disagree there, Yes Minster is one of the funniest comedies ever to be broadcast on the BBC.

It's intelligent-funny rather than slapstick-funny (say, Vic & Bob or Fawlty Towers for example - whilst Blackadder's somewhere between) or instantly-quotable-and-forgotten-about-six-months-after-it-goes-off-air-funny (Fast Show, League Of Gentlemen, Little Britain etc).

Some of Nigel Hawthorn's speeches in YM are works of art. :D

And politics and comedy don't mix? You've obviously never seen any footage from the house of commons! :p

Anyway, back on topic, I did hear something about a new Blackadder a few weeks ago, but it was a kind of in one ear, out the other conversation. I think it all depends on whether they can get RA and TR back. I believe they both would do it if it happened.

Odin
21-04-2005, 16:04
If they do another series it should still be from history. I don't think it would work as well with modern jokes/references etc. - and making it all about politics would make it just as dull as 'Yes minister', 'Drop the Dead Donkey' et al. Politics and comedy just don't mix in my view.

Two very good comedy series' there. I think you seem to have missed the fact that Blackadder always was political - plenty of obvious and not-so-obvious political jokes in there (Ben Elton was one of the writers after all!). What about the 3rd series episode where Baldrick becomes an MP? I do agree it should be historical though - but as they're always moving forward it'd have to be 20th century politics - 60s/70s would be ideal - Cold War, Profumo scandal, CND protests... plenty of good stuff there to work from.

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 16:10
Sorry, I'll have to disagree there, Yes Minster is one of the funniest comedies ever to be broadcast on the BBC.

Two very good comedy series' there.
Evidently its just me. I do like 'intelligent' comedy, but i have no interest in, or even understand, politics. Which is probably why i don't see comedy there.

I do love Not the Nine O Clock News though, which is quite political.

Odin
21-04-2005, 16:46
Evidently its just me. I do like 'intelligent' comedy, but i have no interest in, or even understand, politics. Which is probably why i don't see comedy there.

Don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you? I think people generally don't have much interest in politics until they're in their 20s. Of course, plenty of people never take an interest in it, which is fair enogh I guess.

Anyway, I'm a civil servant, so that probably explains why I enjoy Yes Minister. :D

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 16:55
I'm 24, i'll have you know! :p

Which is why i appreciate such comic genius as Blackadder, and why my idea of comedy isn't going around shouting that you're the only gay in the village!

I guess i'll just never be interested in politics!

Sai-Lauren
21-04-2005, 17:20
Which is why i appreciate such comic genius as Blackadder, and why my idea of comedy isn't going around shouting that you're the only gay in the village!

That makes two of us then.

Apologies if it seemed like I was having a go with the intelligent-funny, that was not my intention. I suppose YM is fairly dry and talky, but to me, that only adds to the humour - IMO the best comedy is played straight.

I guess if we all liked the same things, the world would be a very boring place indeed.

Odin
21-04-2005, 18:40
"I'm 24, i'll have you know!

I guess i'll just never be interested in politics!"

Fair enough. It's not like the likes of Blair and Howard are particularly inspiring anyway. Anyway, returning to subject, I'm sure Blackadder would work with him as an MP or a minister - there's no need for it to be about politics, just using politics as a backdrop. After all, Blackadder Goes Forth wasn't exactly all about war.

Seer Spankwell
21-04-2005, 20:41
I'm 15 and can appreciate political humour. I also agree that little britain is awful, *prepares for bombardment of abuse* I think a new blackadder will be good as long as it is done properly, and they dont try and make it all "modern" and "trendy"!

glimli
23-04-2005, 08:13
please god let this be true. its highly unlikely that it would be a ep 4 follow on as its tradtioanl that they all die at the end of the series. a napoleonic war one could be very hilarious. i just think ww2 is a bit similar to ww1 and has been done to death already.

The pestilent 1
23-04-2005, 11:58
im expecting a falklands one myself.
could be quite interesting.

Brimstone
23-04-2005, 12:37
Actually, I reckon the best option would be to make him an MP or a Lord. Plenty of opportunity for plotting , backstabbing and scheming there. Baldrick could be his personal assistant. Get Fry and Laurie in there as well and you're away - a cross between Yes Minister and Blackadder (two of my favourite sitcoms)..

That was the plan for the 4th series but then The New Statesman was released so they decided to go with WW1 instead.

So that would be my preference now if one did go ahead. Wouldn't be the same without Fry & Laurie though.

Rich
23-04-2005, 15:48
I would like to see another historical setting. Either that or futuristic. The idea of a present day or near-history setting really doesn't appeal to me very much.

salty
23-04-2005, 15:58
A Napoleonic Blackadder would be great, but didn't he squash the Duke of Wellington in "Blackadder Back and Forth"? ;)

I don't know about a futuristic one though. Maybe he gets shipped off to Iraq or Afghanistan? :D

Kohhna
23-04-2005, 16:52
What I want to know is are the original writing team of Curtis and Elton attatched to the project?

Compyraptor
23-04-2005, 19:13
We've already had a Napoleonic Blackadder. He was butler to the Prince Regent in Blackadder the Third.

As for series 5, I haven't really got a clue which time period it could be set in. WW2 or Cold War esponiage ?? some distant futuristic setting ala end of Christmas Carol ?? Or maybe they can break tradition and make the series set in periods before the current serieses. Roman Britain ?? Prehistoric/Celtic Britain ?? The Dark Ages ?? The Crusades ?? Well I'm sure that if they do make a Blackadder 5, they'll find a decent enough setting for it.

grey_painter
24-04-2005, 11:36
It is intriguing. Although I'll have to reign my hopes in just incase.

Personally I can imagine the serious and power hungry Blackadder put in the flower power sixties having lots of comic potential. The character always works best when his ideals and plans are completely at odds to all those around him. Oh yes and Baldrick being around all that free love and still not getting any :)

I'd rather it didn't go futuristic though, just doesn't feel right that Blackadder should be in the future. Besides we've got lots of good Red Dwarf series for that. Similarly I can't see the cold war working because it keeps making me think of Johny English. Theres already plenty of good modern political comedy around at the moment too.

*shrug* I have enough faith that it'll still be good no matter when it is set. I hope anyway.

salty
24-04-2005, 14:23
@Compyraptor: Sorry, should have been more specific, I meant a late Napoleonic Blackadder, maybe just before/after Waterloo, or during the reign of Victoria?

Rich
24-04-2005, 15:48
On the Blackadder site, there is a statement dated february saying that the BBC denies plans to make a fifth series of Blackadder set in the 60s. However, the info we are currently going on was taken from a quote by Richard Curtis in the Daily Express last week:

Writer Richard Curtis told the Daily Express of the show's return: "We'd always said we'd do it, and yes we definitely still want to."