PDA

View Full Version : Charging question.

Nykster
03-05-2008, 17:42
I'm new. Actually, i'm Brand new.

When assaulting...charging, sorry, 40k terminoligy will get in the way.

When charging a unit, and they don't line up, what happens?
example
x=me
o=opponent

xxxxxx
xxxxxx
----oooooo
----oooooo

or
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx <--- what happens to these guys on the end?
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo

I know that player o can opt to redress his ranks to put more people in the front rank, but does he have to, and what if he doesn't? Can i increas my rank with the guys that aren't fighting??

thanks in advance

alextroy
03-05-2008, 18:22
Carefully read the charging rules in the BRB for details.

In summary, the charging unit must move in such a way to make the maximum number of models in both its and the opponets units come into BTB contact as possible as long as the movement will not result in a failed charge.

Jonke
03-05-2008, 18:46
A unit in combat which won but did not break its opponent may execute a Turn or Change formation manouver, and only if it would increase the number of models in btb with the enemy. See pp. 46 and 12-14 of the brb)

Malagant
03-05-2008, 19:16
GW has a FAQ/errata that explicitly discusses what you're describing:

http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/errata.htm

Look for the discussion on "Clipping"

Nykster
03-05-2008, 20:15
A unit in combat which won but did not break its opponent may execute a Turn or Change formation manouver, and only if it would increase the number of models in btb with the enemy. See pp. 46 and 12-14 of the brb)

But what if you want to decrease your front? If i have several models that are not in base contact with the enemy, can i reduce the number of models in my front rank and add more ranks?

Brodrick
03-05-2008, 20:52
GW has a FAQ/errata that explicitly discusses what you're describing:

http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/errata.htm

Look for the discussion on "Clipping"

Careful about using Appendices as rules. Those are only suggestions.

Some people believe in sliding after the charge in oreder to "maximize frontage."

Others believe in clipping, or doing what is shown in the OP. While you are obligated to get as many models into base to base contact with your allotted movement, you might have a few models hanging out in the middle of no where.

My advice would be to discuss it with your opponent.

BloodiedSword
03-05-2008, 20:59
The appendix in question is very clear in stating that to play by the letter of the rules is to play with clipping, and that to slide to maximise frontage is a mutually agreed "gentlemanly solution" that bends the rules.

Anyway bear in mind that this is only ever an issue when at the absolute maximum range of your charge - otherwise, you can and must wheel during your charge in order to maximise the frontage.

Masque
03-05-2008, 21:12
But what if you want to decrease your front? If i have several models that are not in base contact with the enemy, can i reduce the number of models in my front rank and add more ranks?

There is no way to decrease your frontage to get more ranks while you are in combat.

Tarax
04-05-2008, 11:57
Remember that when charging both the charging and the charged unit can not change their formation. Only when the combat phase is over and none of the units involved has fled, can the winner change formation (or turn) in order to bring more models in base-contact. See re-dress ranks, BRB p.46