PDA

View Full Version : Necromunda - unusual weapons

Grimlaw
17-10-2005, 03:56
I have converted an Assault Cannon for my Delaque Heavy. I know it isn't game legal, but it looks cool anyway. I might even get around to making an appropriate costing for the weapon and using it one day.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with some non-Necromunda weapons, converted the miniature, and written up some rules to go with that conversion?

EVIL INC
17-10-2005, 15:34
Sounds cool. even if you never get to use it as an assault cannon, you can always just call it a fancy autocannon or heavy stubber. With Necromunda, its a lot easier to do conversion work like that and get by with it due to having such few numbers. Especially with heavy/special weapons.
Post a pic if you can.

Jo Bennett
17-10-2005, 19:25
I'd go with about 600 credits, and make sure you keep the rule about triple jams blowing it up completely.

StugMeister
17-10-2005, 20:11
I built a PlasmaCannon for my Delaque heavy out of an Eldar Dreadnought weapon. I added a tonne of wires and a massive backpack. I used the heavy mini who is holding a HeavyStubber aloft.

Grimlaw
18-10-2005, 07:30
I'd go with about 600 credits, and make sure you keep the rule about triple jams blowing it up completely.

Most definately. Where's the fun in an assaultcannon, unless it could blow up?

THs pictures I have attatched are of my Delaque assaultcannon heavy, my Delaque Sniper, and my Delaque biker.

Jo Bennett
18-10-2005, 12:56
Would you like to consider adding some sort of bracer to that assault cannon, maybe a pole tucked inside the heavy's back foot? I have a suspicion the recoil may result in some... misplacement of limbs.

boogle
18-10-2005, 20:33
very nice conversions, especially making the biker look so good (wish i was that good)

Grimlaw
19-10-2005, 06:30
Would you like to consider adding some sort of bracer to that assault cannon, maybe a pole tucked inside the heavy's back foot? I have a suspicion the recoil may result in some... misplacement of limbs.

No, only because I have based this conversion on the two soldiers in the first Predator movie, who used the minigun.

In Predator, an American special forces soldier wears a portable minigun and operates it in a tactically impossible manner, as a hand-held machine gun. The famous film sequence was captured in typical Hollywood fashion: with specially constructed props and with little regard for the minigun's real-life tactical employment. First, the actor's (Jesse Ventura) weapon, though authentic, fired specially loaded, reduced-charged blanks, as full-charge ammo would produce too much recoil. Second, the external electrical power to spin the gun barrels was supplied through a cable hidden underneath the actor's uniform, giving the false impression of a self-powered unit. And finally, the minigun's longest on-screen firing time exceeded 20 (continuous) seconds. A real minigun (at 4,000 rpm) would consume 1,300 rounds of 7.62 mm ammo, weighing over 100 lb (55 kg). Although not an unrealistic load for a muscle-bound soldier, it is doubtful that such a burdensome weapon system would be carried behind enemy lines, on foot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

I have gone purely for what looks good, not what's practical.

Thank you Boogle, the biker took me quite a while to convert (it has parts from 8 different miniatures).

Jo Bennett
19-10-2005, 13:01
fair enough, just a thought. :)

Grimlaw
19-10-2005, 13:39
But, I had considered putting bipods on the heavy bolter and the autocannon, like the SM Scout heavy bolter. I just couldn't make it fit and look good.

WLBjork
21-10-2005, 12:31
Hmm, some time ago in the Necromunda mags, there were rules for the Chaos Cutists with (unofficial) minigun rules.

Not sure if they went up anywhere, but seems a little more reasonable thn a full Assault Cannon.

Grimlaw
22-10-2005, 02:41
I converted the miniature purely for the pleasure of owning a one of a kind miniature, never dreaming that I would ever be able to use it (Firstly, only a raving looney would ever permit me to actually include it in a game, unless it was a multi-player, Necromunda gangs Vs Genestealer incursion. Secondly, it would represent around 700 to 800 of my points, sunk into just one gang member, a very tempting target, and an unrecoverable loss when the assault cannon blows up).

The cultist's minigun rules sound promising, could you please direct me to where I could find a copy please?

Jo Bennett
22-10-2005, 12:07
hell, I'd play against it, just for the fun of seeing it in action. What sort of ammo roll are you thinking, 4+? 6+? I think 4+ would probably be sufficient given the number of times it's going to jam. I would definitely be keeping my guys spread out. Have you seen lock stock and two smoking barrels? I'm thinking kind of like the absurdly large machine gun in that.

WLBjork
22-10-2005, 12:40
I converted the miniature purely for the pleasure of owning a one of a kind miniature, never dreaming that I would ever be able to use it (Firstly, only a raving looney would ever permit me to actually include it in a game, unless it was a multi-player, Necromunda gangs Vs Genestealer incursion. Secondly, it would represent around 700 to 800 of my points, sunk into just one gang member, a very tempting target, and an unrecoverable loss when the assault cannon blows up).

The cultist's minigun rules sound promising, could you please direct me to where I could find a copy please?

To the best of my knowledge the rules are only in Gang War issue 2. Mail Order may be able to lay their hands on a copy, otherwise you'll have to try the wanted section. The weapon is actually called a Gatling Cannon, and is described as looking like an Assault Cannon.

Briefly, it costs the same as a Heavy Bolter. It is almost a Heavy Stubber, but it loses 8" at long range (and 4" at short range), gains 1 sustained fire die and the ammo roll is 1 "pip" worse.

Grimlaw
23-10-2005, 02:21
Thanks for that Wolf Lord Bjork.

Jo Bennett - I was thinking of using actual sustained fire dice, more chance of jams.

talos935
24-10-2005, 12:01
If it was used as an Assault cannon it would have have short 1-10" +1 long 11-30" +/-0 and -1 to hit unless model has S5+(this is rare, but possible) S7 sustained 3 dice +5 ammo,

Jo Bennett
24-10-2005, 14:38
Thanks for that Wolf Lord Bjork.

Jo Bennett - I was thinking of using actual sustained fire dice, more chance of jams.

So was I, but you still have to take an ammo roll every time you roll a jam, bon't you?

Grimlaw
25-10-2005, 07:49
Yes, definately.

I'm going to have to make some time so I can write up some rules for this assault cannon.

WLBjork
25-10-2005, 10:07
Oh, I forgot about blowing up. :o

Blows up like Assault Cannon, causes S4 hit on user. Normal repair rules apply (i.e. repaired for next game as default).

Jo Bennett
25-10-2005, 11:26
I think the triple jam blow up should be more devastating, like the user automatically going out of action, and the cannon needing 10% base cost to repair, and the assistance of one ganger in post game. Normal blow ups follow normal rules.

Grimlaw
25-10-2005, 11:28
Well, with this collection of good ideas, would anyone like to write out a set of rules for us all to try?