PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit Into Fresh Enemy

Fraoch
03-05-2008, 20:50
Looking to get opinions on the below scenario that has come up a couple of times in our games:

Two units with a small base size (eg monsters) are in combat. One unit is in the front arc of of an enemy with long flanks but facing towards this unit's flanks. This unit then breaks the unit it is fighting and pursues straight forward far enough to contact the large units flanks - this is treated as a new charge.

The problem is that a charge must contact the facing that it started in, however pursuers must always pursue straght forward. The three option I can see are:

- unit charges the front of the enemy unit
- unit charges the flank of the enemy unit
- unit moves straight forward and halts one inch from the enemy unit

I favour the 2nd option but was outvoted in favour of option 1.

Masque
03-05-2008, 21:23
Here's how it works. If the straight forward pursuit move would contact an enemy unit you may choose to charge that unit. If you do then instead of doing the straight forward move you can (and sometimes must) wheel to charge the appropriate facing and maximize models in combat.

Assuming I understand your example the pursuing unit must charge the front of the fresh enemy rather than the flank.

Fraoch
04-05-2008, 11:46
Hi Masque, thanks for the response.

Is this method not inconsistent with pg 43 which states 'pursuing units pivot on the spot to face the chosen direction of pursuit and the move the full distance indicated by the dice in the same direction as the fleeing units they are pursuing'?

Tarax
04-05-2008, 11:51
No. The example you state is about units fighting multiple units from different side, eg front and flank. The fleeing/broken unit will move away from the unit with the highest US. That unit can move straight forward. The other unit will have to turn/pivot to face the new direction.

Jonke
04-05-2008, 13:11
Masque has got it correct. As soon as a pursuing unit is found to reach a fresh enemy unit with its pursuit move it has follow all the rules for a normal charge. See p. 45.