PDA

View Full Version : midgets getting stomped

pkain762
04-05-2008, 02:56
yeah so i proxied a dwarf list against a brettonian list today.... and i got stomped.... obliterated.... destroyed..... i took a lot of shooting units ( 3 thunderer units, 2 BT, cannon, and an organ gun) and a few solid combat units (warriors, ironbreakers, hammerers)

basically he had 5 or 6 units of knights... and they charged me by the end of turn two.....

i probably spread my forces to far apart..... i spread accross the enitire board.... probably not good for dwarfs... but this was my fisrt battle with them.... so i didn't know....

so what i'm asking i guess is.... how does a dwarf player slow down and win a battle where you get charged by all his knights on the second or third turn?

the only thing i can think of is cut back on the shooty units..... ie thunderers.... and add more units like long beards warriors and another unit of IB or Hammerers....

i don't know i'm just trying to see what vet dwarfs would do in these kind of situations.... well all situations pretty much.... cause there's never going to be a battle that the dwarfs aren't going to be out maneuvered......

kain

RavenBloodwind
04-05-2008, 04:11
Some thoughts:

Your spreading out certainly was unlikely to be helpful.

Shooting is a solid tactic for dwarfs, however the poncy Brets and their prayers to the lady put a damper on your shooting phase.

Things you can use to slow down your opponent:
1) Gyrocopter: great march blocker with a template shooting attack. Doesn't look like you were really using your rare slots anyway.
2) Anvil: rune of wrath and ruin halves the target units move in the next turn. Rune of oath and honor can help a miner unit hurry across the board once they show up.

With a very fast moving enemy (all cav brets, slaanesh demons) you're really going to have to have a real army to meet them when they inevitably arrive. Shooting the bejeezus out of them on the way is certainly a great plan but you're not getting enough opportunity to shoot.

pkain762
04-05-2008, 16:31
yeah it's only a matter of time before they get into the ranks... but a gyro and an anvil may be helpful against something like that.... i'll read more into it and see what i can come up with..... thanks for the advice.... any other advice against brets and cav in general would be helpful

kain

intellectawe
04-05-2008, 17:07
Refused flank.

Don't ever spread out your army against speed-wind armies.

Delpoy your entire force on one table edge, denying an entire flank from your enemy to get at you with.

Throw in Thorek, and you're gold.