PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to do a non-horde Orc army?

Wolfblade670
04-05-2008, 04:37
I've been mucking about trying to decide on just a single army for Warhammer, but it's hard. I've always had a soft spot for greenskins despite their infamous unreliability. Because my budget and painting time is limited, I was curious is it possible to do an Orc army that isn't hordy? (I know it seems like an utter contradiction, but I'm curious.)

Ward.
04-05-2008, 04:43
Yes, but it's effectiveness will be questionable.

Specifically aim for a mounted army, also ebay tends to have decent ork stuff on the cheapside ($15 aus. average for a boar chariot comes to mind)

stampy
04-05-2008, 04:45
Orc lord of somesort on wyvern or maxed out lvl 4 orc shaman. Then more mounted heroes. Have an army using wolf/spider riders for core followed by boar boyz. Be about as small as you could get it i reckon. Smaller if you have a giant or two for your 2 rares

alextroy
04-05-2008, 04:53
Possible? Sure. Effective? I doubt it.

A better bet is to invest in the Battle for Skull pass as your base. For $60 you get a 1000 points of goblins which are mostly wearing robes (easy painting) along with the small rulebook. Add a few boxes of Orc Boyz and a Orc Lord and/or Shaman (or even cheaper, maybe you can get your hands on somebody's 6th edition Starter box Orcs). Maybe a couple of war machines. Now you've got a Orc Horde for less then $250.

sing Sang a song
04-05-2008, 04:58
try grimgor ironhide army i think its less horde than other orc army, and add wyvern in that army too!!
but if you want better information please tell us your budget limit~

theunwantedbeing
04-05-2008, 05:05
2 giants. 400
Grimgor. 800
3 other character's as maxed out as possible. 1200
Chariots and big uns with lots of equiptment. only need 800 worth

Shouldnt give you that big an army.
Budgetwise that might be a fair bit though.....

Chaplain Mortez
04-05-2008, 05:40
You can also do Black Orcs, which are very elite infantry. An army with big 'uns and Black Orcs is about the size of a High Elf army.

bluey
04-05-2008, 05:57
As someone said before a grimgors ard boys army works well because your main troop choice are black orcs, which are both strong and relatively expensive points wise. They are also now are in plastic making them that bit cheaper

W0lf
04-05-2008, 10:09
Grimgor ard boyz dosnt work as it was written with 6th edition.

Try grimgor + 23 Black orcs (6 wide, 4 deep)
Block BSb + 23 black rocs
as a centre its ~ 1200 pts right there.

Pretty un-hordish if you ask me. Works well too (ive tried it) thou can get a tad bland.

Braad
04-05-2008, 20:37
I tried this one time. It worked quite well, though it might be the surprise effect and taking a highly mobile army to exploit the rules of that certain scenario (taking him out as much as possible before reinforcements arrived).

It was sort of like: warboss on wyvern, shaman, big boss in chariot, big boss on boar, savage boar boyz, wolf riders, arrer boyz, chariot, trolls, giant... And the boss on boars goes with the trolls.
I massacred the guy. Very nice.

Gimp
04-05-2008, 20:44
Unfortunatly you cant use Grimgors Ard Bozs any more

but you can make a black orc army.

The Anarchist
04-05-2008, 21:00
I think few people have missed the wolf rider and orc boar riders, boar chariots and a orc warlord on wyrvyrn. you max out on these with a few shamns on what ever mount they need and you have a fast as hell army with no horde element at all realy.

Fredmans
05-05-2008, 08:42
I find that the horde aspect of O&G has been seriously weakened. I think that an O&G army with only three or four blocks of ranked infantry does very well, even better than a horde O&G army. Due to animosity and low leadership there is very little synergy between units so a MLU (multiple large units) approach mostly leads to your units being in the way of each other. I am not saying it cannot work. I merely propose that a non-horde (with some blocks of ranked infantry) army runs smoother.

/Fredmans

Gralph!?!
05-05-2008, 08:50
you probably can do a non horde style army but the effectiveness is a little unreliable. the reason the hordeaspect works well for them is that the orcs would have lots of units and if you fail a fear test here or thereor animosity kicks in then there are plent y of other units to do the job.

lets see.

a black orc warboss, a black orc big boss bsb, a couple of black orc units with shields on as a 3+ save orc is rather scary. a giant and then for core choices use 4 units of 5 wolf riders with short bows or something. that way the army is fast enough to harass and the blackorcs are really hard to break as they effectivly get strength 5 on the first turn and a 3+ armour save and you have to pretty much be some sort of elite infantry to fight that.

soulcrusher
05-05-2008, 10:10
yeah you could, but go heavy on shamans, war - machines a mounted stuff e.g. chariots , boar boyz etc

remember though by doing a non - horde orc army you are taking away one of there greatest strengths.

Leogun_91
05-05-2008, 10:33
Gorbad Ironclaw allows you to take any number of big unz as core (and gives you a solid Ld 10 to about anything if you chose to go non-horde) which means expensive core, then a few units of Black orcs and boarboyz big unz and maybe Ruglunds armoured orcs, then you have to chose what to include as everything costs so much.

Lordsaradain
05-05-2008, 11:15
As core 2 units of 5 Wolfriders.
Then fill out your special and rare and you can create a "non-hordey" army.

Avian
05-05-2008, 12:12
How un-horde-ish do you want it? Take a Wyvern rider and a couple of Giants and you have 850 pts right there in only three models and that's not a bad setup by any means (apart from against a couple of armies). Add in three more characters and you are up to 1400 pts. Toss in some fast cavalry, a block of Boyz and some special units depending on taste and you have an army.

Necromancer2
05-05-2008, 12:54
I'd do, 2 units of Borcs, 1 unit of NG's with 3 fanatics, then fill out rest of core on Wolf Riders. After Characters get a giant or what ever fits.

Disciple of Caliban
07-05-2008, 11:47
black orcs all the way, at least 2 * 24, maybe even throw in a 3rd if you like, but then you'd have few boar boyz/chariots. If you're really looking to drop the model count add grimgor to one unit, and borgut to another (ok, you cant use his rules, but i love that model). Then add a few core units (orcs only, no gobbs, even if they are riding spiders or wolves) and your pretty much set.

If you only want the horde to save money then go with skarsnikz horde, buy the man himself and a few skull pass boxes (i currently have 5, but will probably add one more) and you're well underway. Trade the dwarfs for more goblins and you can build a 2k army really really cheaply.

Chicago Slim
07-05-2008, 16:36
I've recently done an Orc chariot army (Shaman Lord in a Boar Chariot, plus 3 Black Orc heroes in Boar Chariots, and 3-4 chariots from Special choices; filled the rest of the points out with two infantry units, including a big block of Big Uns, and a couple units of Arrer boyz).

Prior to that, I've done 7th ed armies driven by two or three good mid-sized (15-20) Black Orcs, backed up by one or two units of Boar Boyz (elite infantry + cavalry, hardly a horde).

Orcs have PLENTY of elite infantry options (one unit of Big Uns, and up to 4 units of Black Orcs, in 2000 points, or take Gorbad and bring as many units of Core Big Uns as you wish!) as well as cheap and plentiful artillery (I've done 4 Bolt Throwers, 2 Rock Lobbas and a pair of Doom Divers in 2000 points), and decent heavy cav plus unlimited cheap fast cav...

So, yeah, you can build all sorts of non-horde armies, with Orcs. Not so much if you're emphasizing Goblins, is all.