PDA

View Full Version : stupidity and stuff

Jagosaja
04-05-2008, 23:37
I had a battle today and lost :cries:

Silly as it is, some questions why it happened bother me so much that I cannot sleep :wtf:

So, be so kind in clarifying these, thus curing my insomnia over bitter loss :D

1) If a character on a flying mount suddenly becomes stupid, he has to move half his movement forward. Is this half of M value of the mount, or 10", ? Also, due to being flyer, does he fly over interposing enemy models or does he charge?

2) Does The Hunters Spear of The Lore of Beasts inflict D3 wounds as Bolt Thrower does, or just one wound?

3) If a wizard casts Remains in Play spell, will he cancel it by using a bound spell afterwards? Technically he is not the one casting but the power within the item is released.

4) Do we have a conclusion on what base size do we mount Hellsteed?

Thanks in advance!

Khorneflakes
05-05-2008, 00:29
1) i would think half ground movement

2) trickie but i think it would be 1 wound

3) i think it would as reading a dispel scroll cancels out a remains (or it did)

4) i believe its a regular cavlary base

please dont take the above as gospel, and im sure more learnid (sp?) people will put me in my place:D

chivalrous
05-05-2008, 00:49
1) Difficult, but I think from the example and the use of Movement with the capital 'M' in the Trolls example, I'm inclined to say you use the Movement value in their profile.
c.f. BRB, p. 52, third paragraph

2) The spell doesn't say the missile is a bolt, just that it "goes through the ranks of the target in the same way as a missile from a bolt thrower" (BRB p. 115) There's nothing there about multiple wounds.

3) ? I'm trying to remember if the most recent FAQ's addressed this.

EDIT: 3) There is some precedent for bound spells cancelling out spells already cast by the user on the first page of the Empire FAQ (http://ca.games-workshop.com/WhiteDwarf/download/2006Errata/Errata/WH/2008-empire_faq.pdf).
"Prayers of Sigmar work exactly like Bound Spells. Thus, whenever an Arch Lector casts a prayer, it forces any previously cast Remains in Play prayer cast by the Arch Lector to be automatically dispelled"
The emphasis is mine and I know this will be argued 'till the cows come home, then trampled by the cows, but all I intend to show here is precedent and therefore support for the case for Bound Spells to dispell Remains in Play spells already cast by the bearer.
If I were you, I'd save the years of debate and refer back to the rather underused "The Most Important Rule" on page 3 of the BRB and dice off each time the situation arises until GW's next round of FAQ's in about 2010.

SuperBeast
05-05-2008, 01:01
4) Do we have a conclusion on what base size do we mount Hellsteed?
It's a single wound mount, so a normal cavalry base is fine.

Lord Aries
05-05-2008, 01:07
1.) Half ground movement.
2.) No, otherwise it would mention that it did d3 wounds. It has to specifically mention it, or otherwise you are just implying things.
3.) Yes, YOU are casting the spell still. This was more than covered in the official errata and FAQ.
4.) 50mmx25mm normal cav base.

WLBjork
05-05-2008, 06:39
1) Stupid troops move at half speed. There is nothing forbidding a fly move, so a half-speed fly movement is perfectly fine.

DeathlessDraich
05-05-2008, 09:46
Looks like all the questions have been answered , except (3) which some will disagree :D

1) Stupidity forces half speed movement during the compulsory phase and prevents , magic, charge declarations and shooting only - pg 52. It *does not impose restrictions on other abilities* e.g. flying, moving through difficult terrain, cause fear etc.

2) Hunters spear is identical to a bolt thrower only in the way it *penetrates*. No wound multiplication.

3) RIP is negated when the Wizard *attempts to cast* another spell - pg 110.
Bound spells however are *automatically cast* - pg 121.
Technically this is an argument for assuming that bound spells do not negate RIP unles otherwise stated, since no casting attempt has been made

The new Empire FAQ was unnecessary and redundant as the Empire book already specifically states that the *Arch Lector casts a Lore of Light spell* - a casting attempt is made which therefore negates RIP spells.

The FAQ failed to address the primary issue of bound spells and RIP.

4) Hell steed is a cavalry mount. - Monster Chapter

Khorneflakes
06-05-2008, 00:25
i cant believe i got those mostly right woo hoo to me!:D

Masque
06-05-2008, 01:19
3) RIP is negated when the Wizard *attempts to cast* another spell - pg 110.
Bound spells however are *automatically cast* - pg 121.
Technically this is an argument for assuming that bound spells do not negate RIP unles otherwise stated, since no casting attempt has been made

The new Empire FAQ was unnecessary and redundant as the Empire book already specifically states that the *Arch Lector casts a Lore of Light spell* - a casting attempt is made which therefore negates RIP spells.

The FAQ failed to address the primary issue of bound spells and RIP.

DD, I think you're looking at the wrong part of the FAQ. See the third question on the first page of the Empire FAQ.

DeathlessDraich
06-05-2008, 09:10
Yes, thanks Masque seen it now.