PDA

View Full Version : Hunters in the Dark vampires

Longrunripper
05-05-2008, 18:50
So i've been browsing my friends vampire counts book, and the Hunter in the Dark power caught my attention.
My question is, does 4 Hunter in the Dark vampires work at 2000pts? Will they just get minced? If they were kitted out nicely, could they weather a few turns of combat while the cavalry (literally) arrives?

Combo with 240 points of core (minimum)
2 x Black Knight Units
2 x Corpse Carts
1 x Blood Knights
1 x Blood Knights or Black Coach (which admittedly wouldn't really work without a swarm of wizards around it...)

Mostly just fast stuff to catch up. Will only being able to have one of those units march without the vampires near (with the banner banner) be massive problem? Should on vampire hang back on a steed to push the army forward?

It's a shame there aren't any other scout units.

Thoughts?

soulcrusher
05-05-2008, 19:05
nice idea however you have no backbone so yeah you would get minced, you seriously need skeles, or zombies or a few necromancers to raise dead stuff

athamas
05-05-2008, 20:16
you have to weather the first turn, that is all....

after that you should be in combat, and killing things...

personaly i would drop the carts, and take as much fast stuff as possible,

then aim is purely to keep your this alive long enough for them to hit the enemy line...[then everything sould be in range for raising...]

its a possible army.. but would only work well against certian armies..

if you could get enough danse's off you could potentially have first turn charges..

its worth trying out, but dont be suprised if things go horribly wrong on occasions...

blurred
05-05-2008, 20:24
It's an interesting idea.

The only real downside I see is the fact that you have to spend some points on three useless skeleton/zombie/ghoul blocks and that your vampires will have to weather one round of shooting before they can hit the enemy ranks (well, you can get a first turn charge, but not very likely). The latter could probably be fixed with two varghulfs. If you get to start, that's six targets for the enemy to focus on and with the right moves the varghulfs will provide the ability to march for your troops.

Then just load on black knights and other hitty things and you're good IMHO. :)

athamas
05-05-2008, 20:28
yeah, with Vargulfs being considwerably cheaper than Bllod knights, and alot more controlable i would be tempted to take 2 of them.. [blood knights need points spending on them, esp with this stly of army where they will effectivly be un supported for a turn they will need the magic banner of anti missiles]

2 vargulf will cost about the same as a kitted out unit of blood knights, and although not hitting as hard, could be far more use...

anyway, deff. take one vargulf and maybe a nice unit on blood knights.. and with the points saved get more black knights... [and usefull banners for them, the doubl unit strength would be good, aswell as the always marching banner for the most flank ward unit,]

andy10k
05-05-2008, 21:02
I agree that 2 varghulfs will be very helpful, as if you have 2 of them on either side of your stuff at the back, then they can all march as long as they're within 6" of the 'gulfs.

Interesting theme anyway :D

LiMunPai
05-05-2008, 21:25
Your lord level general doesn't want to be out of a unit for really any reason. I would like to see him back, supporting 3 ghouls blocks with the summon ghouls power. Make one of your Hunter in the Dark vamps have ghoulkin and the flayed hauberk, so that these units can keep up. This gets you 3 scouting Vamps that raise dead and disrupt, or Van Hel's into units.

Your solitary Lord Vamp, if you boost him to do so, can make 3 min ghoul blocks with ghasts into a fighting force if all you cast in IoN, and use 6 dice every turn (That's 4 casts that each make 3.5 ghouls is they aren't dispelled, plus, the average success is a 5.5, which needs 2 dice to dispel)

With Black knights and Varghulfs, I like the list. It certainly is different.

druchii
06-05-2008, 05:03
So i've been browsing my friends vampire counts book, and the Hunter in the Dark power caught my attention.
My question is, does 4 Hunter in the Dark vampires work at 2000pts? Will they just get minced? If they were kitted out nicely, could they weather a few turns of combat while the cavalry (literally) arrives?

Combo with 240 points of core (minimum)
2 x Black Knight Units
2 x Corpse Carts
1 x Blood Knights
1 x Blood Knights or Black Coach (which admittedly wouldn't really work without a swarm of wizards around it...)

Mostly just fast stuff to catch up. Will only being able to have one of those units march without the vampires near (with the banner banner) be massive problem? Should on vampire hang back on a steed to push the army forward?

It's a shame there aren't any other scout units.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see a Blood Dragon flying circus army. You've got four super tooled lords on hellsteeds, parked inside one of three units of ghouls (and one vamp has ghoulkin) and atleast two swarms of felbats and two varghulfs. First turn, ghouls march, and disgorce four flying vampire monstrosities, while the varghulfs and the felbats flock up to beat on some warmachines/support the vampires.

From what I've strategerized not much your opponent can do about it.

d

Sarael
06-05-2008, 12:02
Nope, not much at all, except that characters on mounted creatures can't join units. Give them Winged Horror instead, and they can benefit from the ghouls' ghoulkin movement, keep from getting shot, and still get off a first turn charge possibly (28" range from deployment) against even a defensive army. The local gunlines I play against are setting up further and further back because they don't know if I'm bringing winged horrors or dread knights... either way it's a 2nd turn vampire in their faces, and they're so far back that they tend to flee straight off the table.

Also, try Felbats as a screen to make your KoBK more reliable, if they are to your liking (they are very much to MY liking).

Longrunripper
06-05-2008, 14:52
nice ideas. I was definitely considering ghoulkin for getting the core across the table too. Using that and flying vamps is a much safer, cheaper (only one vamp has to buy ghoulkin as opposed too all of them getting HitD) way of doing it, but doesn't really sit with the theme/idea. However, in the dace of efficiency, it may be more favourable.

Sarael
07-05-2008, 07:55
The only problem I have with HITD is that you still can't get in a first turn charge unless the fool marches forward and bares his neck, er, back to you.

The only problem I have with Winged Horror is that you can't also take Ghoulkin with it on the same hero Vampire (Lords, of course, can have both).

However, combining both on the same vamp more or less locks your opponent down and prevents marching. Would be nice if you had some shooting to take advantage of that...

Anyway, HITD is a nice ability, but I've never used it, only because it doesn't suit my style of play. Go ahead and try it out, you don't need to model it at all so that's a nonissue. As for suggestions on how to use it though, I honestly have none.

Longrunripper
07-05-2008, 12:26
Can a vampire, assuming you get first turn, not set up 10" away, as per Scout, and then charge 12" (M6)?

blurred
07-05-2008, 18:11
Can a vampire, assuming you get first turn, not set up 10" away, as per Scout, and then charge 12" (M6)?

Sure he can, but he has to be out of sight when he is deployed so he probably won't be seeing anyone.

Longrunripper
07-05-2008, 18:44
Didn't clock the out of sight part. I had infiltrate in mind, which allows being in sight. D'oh.