PDA

View Full Version : Zombies.. and lots of them...

athamas
05-05-2008, 20:44
an army just for fun...

Vampire, Master of the black arts, Flayed Hauberk, Scepter of Noirot, 200

Vampire, Master of the black arts, Book of Arkhan, 185

Vampire, Master of the black arts, helm of command, Black Periapt, 195

27 Skeletons, full command, 236 [the bunker]

20 zombies, standard, muscian, 92

20 zombies, standard, muscian, 92

1000 pts exactly..
basic aim is to swamp the enemy with zombies untill they make a mistake..

i have 11 {+1} power dice and 5 {-1} Dispel dice, casting IoN on a 4+ repeatadly, and then raising units when needed/ if able [along with the book for that lucky strike.. ] and some Ws 6 zombies for extra fun...

so other than being a massive raising fest, [but my guess 40+ zombies a turn wuill be raised....] this could make for an interesting battle in a themed setting [how long can you stand against the horde of zombies type of thing...]

Demon-Face
05-05-2008, 20:51
mabye something that can actually kill?
black knights
get rid of a few skeletons and add a unit of 5

LiMunPai
05-05-2008, 22:01
You will have to have lots of Zombies, as it will pretty much take 3 squads to kill anything: one in front, one in flank, one as crossfire. It only takes 1 to tar-pit though.

In all, you will have to support a squad of zombies for each unit in the opponents army, plus 2 as killing squads that roam. That is alot of zombies, and I don't even know if it's practical, space-wise, to have that many zombies on the board. I think it would be fun though.

2 dice on the sceptre every turn is the most effective way to make squads, but a smart opponent will dispel raise dead, and allow you to uselessly IoN zombie squads as much as you want. You would have to play against a cooperative opponent to win, but you may be able to pull out minor losses pretty regularly.

Edit: With 3 Raise Dead's a turn, 2 will probably go off against 4 dispel dice, with 2 IoN's supporting them. 2 squads of 10 zombies a turn is pretty good.

Spirit
05-05-2008, 22:48
I don't see how any 1k army will stand up to this kind of punishment to be honest.

tarpitting and using free zombies to kill them when they run lol.

Couple of things. Fit a battle standard in there, 3 skeletons gets you one and it will save you losing an extra zombie every turn, probably will come in quite handy.

If possible, 5 dire wolves for flanking, they are easy to hide, and will kill a combat in one go.

I would drop 10 skeletons (you have so many power dice you wont need more that the 3 ranks imo) for the bsb and 5 wolves.

I would even be tempted to drop the musician, because you have 3 vampires and 3 command, but you only need the unit to be 5 models wide. Musicians wont lose you anything if you have a bsb around (it will cancel out the 1 lost from not having the musician) and with 9S5 attacks and 3S3 attacks on your skellies you wont be drawing many combats.

l1ttle
06-05-2008, 16:38
I love the idea; I mean it's crazy. I would want to see the face of the opponent when he finds out that you're zombies have a ws 7^^

Be Afraid
06-05-2008, 16:53
my brets/lizards/woodelves or ogres would laugh at it,

im sure if you werent playing compatant players you could get a few wins in though.

Andrew Luke
06-05-2008, 18:07
Could be fun, but you could wipe all his army off the table and still lose if he killed enough of your summoned units lol

athamas
06-05-2008, 19:16
he would have to kill over 20 of them.. .28 if you include the points for table quarters...

care to explain how Be Afraid?

superduperkoopatrooper
06-05-2008, 19:40
I think Be Afraid's point is that any army with troops that have multiple attacks and cause fear/are ITP will just never lose a combat all game and IF they do it probably won't be enough to break them.

If you're trying to make a competitive list then I have to agree that you'll struggle to kill anything when you face competent combat oriented armies.

Having said that I think it would be a blast to play against so I wholly recommend you give it a go.

Be Afraid
06-05-2008, 20:18
[QUOTE=superduperkoopatrooper;2586815]I think Be Afraid's point is that any army with troops that have multiple attacks and cause fear/are ITP will just never lose a combat all game and IF they do it probably won't be enough to break them.
QUOTE]

well elaborated lol

ye, most armies that are played in a fairly compatative enviroment could take it.

tbh, once ur general dies, ur gone, thats quite a big gamble of a 2 wound hero. i charge 2 units of knights into ur bunker, i should kill all 3 vampires, the u get 3 skellies attacks back, if that, and crumble, game ove, mopped up my turn 4.

most armies WILL kill you general.

but against people that are not so gd, it has a pretty good chance.

still, i wish you all the best.

Trogdor
06-05-2008, 20:48
Haven't read the new army book yet (!) - how do zombies get THAT big a WS increase? They are barely efficient enough to worry snotlings under normal circumstances...
Anyway, I like the idea. It's a characterful army list and would make for an entertaining game against a smaller, static firepower based army like an Empire or Dwarf gunline.

LiMunPai
06-05-2008, 20:54
It shouldn't even be an issue that this is beatable. Shoot 1 unit out and run the rest of the game. If he comes out of his side of the table, hit him where he's soft and spread out. At least, that's what my Wood Elves would do if I was trying to win against the list, and I'm pretty confident in saying that WE in general have a great chance of beating this list.

Assaulting the bunker, however, is what I would do against this list, because it is the most fun thing to do. By his turn 2, he probably has 6 units of zombies, 2 of which are probably redirectors, and 4 legitimately large units. It will be really hard to crack, but might happen, it might not. It comes down to positioning and rolls in combat: should be a good game.

Belerophon709
06-05-2008, 21:02
Haven't read the new army book yet (!) - how do zombies get THAT big a WS increase? They are barely efficient enough to worry snotlings under normal circumstances...
Anyway, I like the idea. It's a characterful army list and would make for an entertaining game against a smaller, static firepower based army like an Empire or Dwarf gunline.

VC have a magic item called Helm of Commandment that lets the vampire using it lend his WS to a nearby unit of troops. Requires that he himself is not in combat.
Vamp Lords have WS7, regular vamps (heroes) have WS6.

athamas
06-05-2008, 21:55
tbh, once ur general dies, ur gone, thats quite a big gamble of a 2 wound hero. i charge 2 units of knights into ur bunker, i should kill all 3 vampires, the u get 3 skellies attacks back, if that, and crumble, game ove, mopped up my turn 4.

most armies WILL kill you general.

but against people that are not so gd, it has a pretty good chance.

still, i wish you all the best.

how are you going to charge 2 units of knights into my bunker...

it would be behing a large and ever expanding unit of zombies...

you wont get the first turn charge, so i will get a minimum of 1 turn of sumoning, most likely 2 by the time you have any form of positioning..

by that time i have 90+ extra zombies in the way...

i see your tactic, but your methodology sucks..

this is equivelent to saying 'ill just bait your bloodthirsta' when the thing can fly and although it has to charge, it can charge any viable unit and has a 20" charge rangne.. so i wil lsimply charge you generals nice big unit that you really dont want to run away.. or simular..

yes, if my general die i will lose... but your knights will have a hard time winning against 25 zombies in their flank... even if they dont run, they are out of the game...

Spirit
06-05-2008, 22:21
Be afraid, you can only charge the bunker with your knights to kill the general if 2 conditions are met.

1: His sunnomed units dont prevent you from doing it (against that much magic in 1k, good luck)

2:His general is in the bunker unit. If he places them outside the unit, you wont kill the general, even bowmen wont do it becaus ehe can hide.

against ogres or brets it takes one well placed zombie unit (and ALL of the vampires can choose raise dead) to stop an entire unit, if you charge them, you will get flanked or be taken into terrain.

You are assuming combat armies get to fight on their own terms against vamps, which they do not get to do against 10 power dice.

Ozorik
06-05-2008, 23:21
think Be Afraid's point is that any army with troops that have multiple attacks and cause fear/are ITP will just never lose a combat all game and IF they do it probably won't be enough to break them.

I think that this is one of the central points that people dont understand with undead, especially VCs.

So what if your highly expensive elite unit doesnt break, the fact that they have spent most of the time fighting a limitless sea of free zombies means that they no longer have any impact on the game, they may as well be dead.

Just because the solution seems simple doesnt mean that it actually will be.

I think that this list will be very nasty in 1k points against your standard genrilist. The only way that I can see to win fairly easily is to shut down the magic phase (not likely) or kill the general before he has a chance to raise sufficent zombies to totally screen himself, again not likely. It wont win big against most armies as it has no melee capability to speak of but it would be an interesting game.

I just hope the OP likes painting zombies.........

athamas
07-05-2008, 06:44
lol.. painting zombies....

that will happen once i have painted.... something... [not lifted a paint brush in over half a year currently.. will get back into it soon though, once exams are out the way...]

i tend to build place holders for large zombie units, so that severly reduces painting...

and its 12 power dice effectivly.. :D [i can see issue with current khorne hordes of chaos but beyond that...]

Ozorik
07-05-2008, 11:42
You could try this instead.

Vampire the flayed hauberk, summon ghouls, dark acolyte.

Vampire BSB, master of the black arts, scepter de noirot.

Vampire book of arkhan, master of the black arts.

20 zombies ,standard.

20 zombies, standard.

10 ghouls, ghast.

10 ghouls, ghast.

10 ghouls, ghast.

= 995

Not quite as many zombies a turn but probably a more powerful army. You can still raise enough zombies to absorb enemy charges and get your own rear charges in. When you have pinned a unit in place like this then a flank charge by the ghouls should break most units. Zombies and skeletons just dont do enough damage on their own, even medium melee blocks are likely to kill enough zombies to counteract the zombies likely +6 CR bonus. The ghouls should provide enough punch to get that all important victorious combat.

The 'bunker' unit is expensive and it adds nothing more to your army than another tarpit in a list crammed full of them.

eleveninches
07-05-2008, 11:48
Could try:

Vamp (+2PD, powerstone, black periapt)
Vamp (+2PD, 2 powerstones)
Vamp (+2PD, 2 powerstones)
10 Ghouls
10 Ghouls
6 Black Knights (FC, barding, banner of the dead legion)
5 Dire Wolves

USe powerstones to cast raise dead in turn 1, then use turn 1-4 power dice to raise the units to a decent size, screening your ghouls and vamps. Use wolves to marchblock to get more turns of magic summoning. Once enemy has engaged the zombies, smash the black knights into their flank. By the time the enemy gets into combat, your zombies should be large enough to not crumble, and by turn 6 the enemy will only get points for the dire wolves and maybe a few 50 point summonned units, whereas you will have 2 table quarters and all of the victory points gained by the black kights

adreal
07-05-2008, 12:18
The OP's original army looks like a good challenge in what was it 1K? Saying 'oh I'll just do this' doesn't actually make this list weaker, and I don't think it's intended to be a WAAC list, but more a hey I like the idea of zombie horde, so bleh have fun. It could be a very dull game, or something funny from time to time.

Anyway to the OP for painting the zombies you could try dipping to get a good effect on them, well it works well on tyranids so....

greensky
07-05-2008, 14:10
Yeah, this would be a fun army to play, although probably rather frustrating to play against...It would be nice if you could have something a little more killy in there, like maybe some wolves or similar. However, the only way I see of beating it is to kill the general/a couple of the other vamps...cause I don't see many armies being able to kill 20+ zombies/turn (and even if they can, they won't be able to keep up, since after all they will have to face them all raised up again...)