PDA

View Full Version : Magic bows

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-05-2008, 21:26
If a character has a magic bow can he use a mundane great weapon in combat? He obviously cant use the bow in cc...?

BloodiedSword
05-05-2008, 22:22
Just reading the rules for Magic Weapons on page 121 would have made this very clear, but I will quote the passage for you.

A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons, although it can carry a shield as normal.

Emphasis mine.

TheDarkDaff
06-05-2008, 12:24
You just have to remember that (as per the Wood Elf FAQ) the shots from a magic bow are not counted magic hits (only Magic Arrows count as magic hits).

Anaris
06-05-2008, 12:26
No, the shots from a Wood Elf Magic Bow are not magical. It has no bearing on any other Magic Bow.

marv335
06-05-2008, 12:28
It's worth remembering that this was a change from 6th to 7th ed.
previously a magic bow would prevent you using a mundane hand weapon.

Masque
06-05-2008, 14:02
It's worth remembering that this was a change from 6th to 7th ed.
previously a magic bow would prevent you using a mundane hand weapon.

This is untrue.

Lord of Skulls
06-05-2008, 14:22
This is untrue.
You wouldn't happen to have anything to back up this statement?

Masque
06-05-2008, 22:22
You wouldn't happen to have anything to back up this statement?

6th Edition BRB, Page 152, Magic Weapons
"A character who has a magic close combat weapon cannot use other close combat weapons..."

7th Edition BRB, Page 121, Magic Weapons
"A character that has a magic close combat weapon cannot use any other close combat weapons..."

See how there is only a minor difference in wording that changes the rule not at all?

DeathlessDraich
07-05-2008, 09:30
If a character has a magic bow can he use a mundane great weapon in combat? He obviously cant use the bow in cc...?

There are 2 possible interpretations:

1) The bearer of the magic bow does not use it in combat and could therefore use a handweapon and shield!

The best guidance for this is actually found in the HE book.
Any bow is not regarded as a weapon but 'Equipment'.

This is the only justification in not using a magic bow as a close combat weapon.

2) The bearer uses the bow in combat as demanded by the Magic weapon rules.
In this case there will be no modifiers from the magic bow in combat but the bearer's close combat attacks must be magical!

EvC
07-05-2008, 10:31
Nah. Read the first response to the thread, situation is covered :)

Mike KK
07-05-2008, 14:38
i'm sure all the wood elves are pretty pi**ed that their bows don't fire magic arrows anymore

also who said you can use a bow in combat, i'm sure a twack across the temple with one of them would knock you out

BloodiedSword
07-05-2008, 15:15
There are 2 possible interpretations:

1) The bearer of the magic bow does not use it in combat and could therefore use a handweapon and shield!

The best guidance for this is actually found in the HE book.
Any bow is not regarded as a weapon but 'Equipment'.

This is the only justification in not using a magic bow as a close combat weapon.

2) The bearer uses the bow in combat as demanded by the Magic weapon rules.
In this case there will be no modifiers from the magic bow in combat but the bearer's close combat attacks must be magical!

I'm assuming that what you're arguing here is that a magical bow is not explicitly stated as not being a close combat weapon?

Anyway looking in my HE army book I see that both the magical bows have in their rules "Treat this as a normal longbow with the following exceptions". In fact, looking in the 6th edition army book I see even back them GW had the foresight to use the same wording.

Seeing as a normal longbow is certainly a missile weapon and not a close combat weapon, neither of the HE bows are close combat weapons. I don't have the WE book so I can't speak for those, but I would assume that they're similarly worded.