PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 point Daemon lists...

Ghrask Dragh
06-05-2008, 06:10
First of a few I'll post, haven't decided which one to go with yet so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Skulltaker on Jugger -200 pts

Herald of Nurgle -265 pts
magic lvl 1
palanquin
Staff of Nurgle

Herald of Tzeentch -140 pts
Flames of Tzeentch

Herald of Tzeentch -165 pts
Master of Sorcery
Spellbreaker

15 Plaguebearers, Command -227 pts
Banner of sleeping Decay,

30 Horrors -360 pts

16 Horrors -192 pts

10 Bloodletters -120 pts

5 Flesh hounds -175 pts

5 Furries 60 pts

5 Furries -60 pts

3 Bloodcrushers, bloodreaper -230 pts

-1994pts

:evilgrin: what do you think?

d3athb1ad3
06-05-2008, 08:18
Take more faster cc units like some more crushers, fiends or beasts of nurgle. Also take less heralds, but a lord choice. I recommend the bloodthirster or a daemon prince skilled on cc.

IronBrother
06-05-2008, 15:49
Looks pretty good, but I would even out the units of horrors, as the little one will get picked on until it no longer can cast. Also, I would put spellbreaker on the other herald, and give the herald with master of sorcery the flames of Tzeentch.

I am assuming that the Bloodletters are going to be used to counter-charge.
Everything else looks pretty good, try it out if you can and let us know.

SPYDER68
06-05-2008, 16:04
Im a big fan of power Vortex on the Tzeentch Casters, lets them have 3 power dice each.

that would give your Nurgle caster 2 dice, each tzeentch casters 3 dice, and your horrors 4 dice.

That or 3 dice on horror's and 1 extra for your tzeentch casters :P

Your Mum Rang
06-05-2008, 16:51
I prefer Master of Sorcey. MUCH more flexibility.

Damian
06-05-2008, 17:41
Why not try and find the points to add another plaguebearer so that you can get full rank bonus with the herald.

minionboy
06-05-2008, 18:33
Maybe it's just me, but I feel weird seeing a Deamon army without a Greater Daemon. Other than that I think that your block of 30 Horrors is going to quickly gather the attention of a Stone Thrower, or some cavalry, both of which will cut through them like a hot knife through a steaming pile of Tzeentchian goo. Maybe drop it down to 15-16 and get another block of infantry who can stand a fight.

Ghrask Dragh
06-05-2008, 19:15
Thank you for the replies guys!!

Take more faster cc units like some more crushers, fiends or beasts of nurgle. Also take less heralds, but a lord choice. I recommend the bloodthirster or a daemon prince skilled on cc.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel weird seeing a Deamon army without a Greater Daemon.

I can see what your saying about the cc units, I thought if I struggled I could break up the bloodcrushers into 2 units to try and spread the speedy cc units around the feild a bit more. A fiend or 2 sounds good, I haven't played yet but apparently Flesh hounds are pretty sweet in cc so I'm hoping they will prove themselves worthy in most games.

:D It is strange with no GD, part of the draw I think. If I was to add a BT (450pts no upgrades so we are talking something like 500-575pts) where do you think I could get the points from in this list?

I prefer Master of Sorcey. MUCH more flexibility.

Very true, I kind of thought it was enough to have one, but it makes sense to have 2 (they are the same points so maybe I'll be a bit of a sneek and choose game-to-game :eyebrows: shhh)

Other than that I think that your block of 30 Horrors is going to quickly gather the attention of a Stone Thrower, or some cavalry, both of which will cut through them like a hot knife through a steaming pile of Tzeentchian goo. Maybe drop it down to 15-16 and get another block of infantry who can stand a fight.

I like the idea, maybe I should keep the 30+ units for bigger 3-4000 point games. Do you not think it's worth the risk to try and get a few bolt of change spells out though? I've never used furries before, are they at all reliable to take care of those pesky machines? (Tzeentchian goo :eek: ;))

Why not try and find the points to add another plaguebearer so that you can get full rank bonus with the herald.

Of course, great spot Damian, Thanks!

minionboy
06-05-2008, 19:34
Bolt of change is hot, if you do go that route, be sure your enemy knows you have bolt of change and save it for the last spell you cast. This way, they're not likely to use up their Dispel Dice on your heralds spells! The only problem with Horrors is that since you can literally tell what spells they have just by looking at them, don't be surprised when they just Dispel Scroll your Bolt of Change.

Furies are just about as effective as they need to be, you can probably get by with 1 unit, unless you anticipate a fair number of war machines.

SPYDER68
06-05-2008, 19:42
After reading, discregard the vortex :P master of Sorcery is better.

Ghrask Dragh
06-05-2008, 21:40
:o sorry SPYDER, missed that quote, didn't mean to.

I was going on advice I saw elsewhere that says the Vortex is more effective when you have a great magic user in the list, like the Lord of Change. Don't know how true that is though, we'll see how my games go. I think Master of Sorcery will be one of the more popular items from the book :D

Good point about the Dispel Scrolls minionboy, it'd alot to pin on the furries to get rid of any warmachines before they use up their Dispel Scrolls.

Damn those Dispel Scroll's, damn them all to hell!!!!

Kerill
07-05-2008, 03:57
It looks a solid list to me. I'm an advocate of big units of horrors (2 units of 28 atm) they are really hard to take down with +5CR, 5+ ward and (if you have a bsb) re-rollable stability tests, not to mention any units that get into combat are guaranteed to be facing gift of chaos every turn. Enemy cavalry aren't really a huge issue (with the possible exception of brets), unless its a huge hammer unit they will charge in, win the first round by a few points and probably lose the next round due to the +5CR and autobreak due to fear. If it is a huge hammer then your horrors will tarpit them and you can flank with plaguebearers or something else and then you have a lot of fleeing enemy points which you can potentially crossfire with your furies to boot. My horrors have held against a charge from 4 bloodknights+vampire hero with bsb, warbanner (in he unit) and walking death so they had +4CR and 16 S7 and 10 S4 attacks and the horrors held allowing a flank charge which wiped the unit out. I can;t think of anything that will hit me harder than they did and the horrors still held, but 20 horrors wouldn't have, I think your horror unit sizes are just right. He was fortunate to have the flag of blood keep and rolled insanely well for his saves (the unit got hit with three bolts of change and only 2 knights died).

The list looks solid enough, but how do you intend to play it? Skulltaker is great but he won't grant hatred to the crushers so if he is going in there you might want to go for a normal Khornate herald instead with armour of Khorne and firestorm blade (great for chariot killing). Alternatively if you plan to stick skulltaker in with your plaguebearers (legal but unfluffy) or in your bloodletters to use his threat range against enemy characters then fair enough.

Your heralds are a little static (i.e. not flying) for my liking since you won't be able to use gift of chaos as well as you could but with glean magic, flickering fire and boon of Tzeentch it won't be a problem against most people. And always take master of sorcery on the heralds (unless you have a super Lord of Change in which case vortex would be ok but I still would prefer master of sorcery because of boon of Tzeentch).

Minor issues:
Get a standard bearer and icon of sorcery for the larger horror unit, +1 to cast and a standard bearer in case of combat are both important. Also give the herald a bsb. I'd also consider giving the herald noxious vapours instead of the staff- bsb and vapours would cost the same and make the herald a lot more survivable as well as being able to smack ten bells out of pansy elf swordmasters and the like. Bsb in the middle of the line will also help with tarpitting and reducing losses as well as giving your plaguebearers an even better CR since enemy infantry units will almost certainly have a US of more than 17 and you can autobreak most cavalry with ease as well. The staff is cool and all but you already have an evil magic phase- 12PD + 2 boons of tzeentch is a hell of a lot to deal with and a single level 3 bound spell won't add that much more, especially since the staff of sorcery is getting a lot more popular due to VC.

So what tactics do you plan to use against most opponents?

Ghrask Dragh
08-05-2008, 12:52
Thanks for that great advice Kerill!

But I have to apologise, the above list doesn't add up right (must have spent too long on it and lost my head for numbers :o) so I've made a few changes taking on board some of the advice here and also to make sure it adds up to 2000pts :rolleyes:

Herald on Jugger 175pts
Firestorm Blade

1 Herald of Nurgle -265 Pts
magic lvl 1
palanquin
Staff of Nurgle

1 Herald of Tzeentch -165 Pts
Master of Sorcery
Spellbreaker

16 Plaguebearer, Command -239pts
Banner of sleeping Decay,

30 Horrors -360pts

18 Horrors -216pts

5 Flesh hounds -175pts

5 Furries –60pts

5 Furries -60pts

Fiend -55pts

3 Bloodcrushers, bloodreaper -230pts

-2000pts

Still contemplating what to do with the Herald of Tzeentch.
I'm not much of a tactition and I've never played daemons before so any advice would be much appreciated but a loose idea of what I would do would be to use the 2 main units (being the 30 horrors and plaugebearers with herald) where ever the chunk of opposition infantry or at least where the bulk of the fighting needs to be done, the flesh hounds and smaller horror unit would be used to protect any flank attacks on the 2 main units or reek havoc attacking the flanks of any units in cc with them. Obviously the furries will go straight for the warmachines. The speed of the Fiend and the bloodcrushers will be used to kill off dangerous units or at least keep them occupied in cc. All the while with magic bolts of god knows what flying about the place :D thats all I've got, I'll need to playtest this a couple of times before I decide on a final list.

What do you think?

Ghrask Dragh
09-05-2008, 22:40
:o Sorry for the double post :o

Yet another List -

Bloodthirster
immortal fury, axe of khorne
[500pts]

Herald of Nurgle
palanquin, level 1 wizard, staff of nurgle
[265pts]

Herald of Tzeentch