PDA

View Full Version : Branchwraith: worth taking?

mattieice
06-05-2008, 20:23
what do you all think of the branchwraith option? I personally don't see the point of them since putting them in a unit of dryads only adds 1 more attack on the front line and 1 more wound. same toughness and strength as a regular dryad so you're really not adding that much power to the unit. as a hero option you are really limiting yourself because they can't be a part of a kinband and can't take magic items. sure they can be a level 1 wizard but it's expensive and with the new power dice rules you can't even contribute that power die to another wizard who could actually use it. the only advantage is the ability to take more than one spite but in all honesty, is that really that much of a reason to take one? am i missing a crutial niche that they are supposed to fulfill?

W0lf
06-05-2008, 20:30
Lvl 1 wizard + Cluster of radients makes for nice cheap and easy bonus to magic defence.

Well i say cheap...

mattieice
06-05-2008, 20:33
i would still rather have a spellsinger with a dispel scroll or 2

decker_cky
06-05-2008, 20:41
Annoyance of nettlings means you can use it for a big boost to the unit. An extra L1 means an extra treesing, which boosts the army overall.

SlaaneshSlave
06-05-2008, 21:14
Its a dispel die that can fight. Kinda like a warrior priest.

RavenBloodwind
07-05-2008, 01:43
The advantage of a level 1 branchwraith with cluster over a level 1 spellsinger with 2 scrolls (which cost the same) are:
1) 2 dispel dice per turn instead of 1
2) better WS, S, T, A, I
3) a (sort of) ward save

As an upgrade to a dryad unit they're certainly not worth much. As an upgrade to your magic defense they're a bargain.

I usually take a spellsinger w/scroll and a branchwraith w/cluster if I'm going for magic defense. If you want pure power in the magic phase you're certainly better off with another level 2 spellsinger, but that's not really why you take the wraith.

warhawk95
07-05-2008, 01:54
Exactly what Raven said the better stats and the extra die can really help. Another advantage is if you like to play with the alter HB and you have only a SS and a branchie with it then you could have a less fragile general. Give her AoN if you have the points and she won't die as easily as a SS. Plus the spites can really do alot for her. You can give her pagent if you wanted too and use the dryad unit to kill wizards or give her AoN and challenge a unit in the front with them and challenge a hero possibly. offensively she dosn't add much but defensively she can plus she can really make that dryad unit a stronger hammer.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-05-2008, 02:05
I think that they are worth their weight in gold.. More power to dryads and magic for low points i would take that:) (if i was lucky enough to play wood elves with all their nice models...:) )

xragg
07-05-2008, 02:57
I hate taking scroll caddys in my WE army. Branchwraiths do everything that has been mentioned already. Also, they dont have to hide from combat. Your magic defense can actually contribute to your offense.

Darktheos
07-05-2008, 07:05
In any type of game except border patrol I use atleast one Branchwraith for the reasons listed above.

mattieice
07-05-2008, 13:01
The advantage of a level 1 branchwraith with cluster over a level 1 spellsinger with 2 scrolls (which cost the same) are:
1) 2 dispel dice per turn instead of 1
2) better WS, S, T, A, I
3) a (sort of) ward save

As an upgrade to a dryad unit they're certainly not worth much. As an upgrade to your magic defense they're a bargain.

I usually take a spellsinger w/scroll and a branchwraith w/cluster if I'm going for magic defense. If you want pure power in the magic phase you're certainly better off with another level 2 spellsinger, but that's not really why you take the wraith.

1) i'd rather have 2 scrolls any day. or another option is 1 scroll and the divination orb if you know they're getting a level 4 wizard.

2) i mean sure, you get a fighting wizard but again, you can only put her in a unit of dryads (or i guess you can put her with treekin but why would you want to?) and like i said before, you're only adding 1 attack at the same strength as the rest of the unit.

3) ok, i agree any ward save is better than nothing.

also, in a unit of dryads, she's quite vulnerable. who wouldnt direct their attacks at the 'just as easy to kill' branchwraith. i like my wizards far away from the front lines, unless they're vampires or something.

nightsrage
08-05-2008, 02:00
I personally like the Branchwraith option. As stated above the idea of a fighting character that adds 2 Dispel Dice and can cast a treesining is nice.

In regards to the Branchwraith being a easy VP target. If you go with a common Annoyance of netlings and Cluster or raidents then your branchwraith is more then a match for most hero characters. Even some lords will think twice about attacking a target they can only hit on 6's in a challenge. If you have your branchwraith with Annoyance and dont challenge then your not protecting your invenstment. So I disagree that the branchwraith is vulnerable, and easy VP.

In the end is about preferance. If you want a fighting character that can add some magice defense of 2 Dispel dice and 1 treesing the Branch wraith is your man(women). If you want a chance to add some more potency in the magic phase take a lvl2 spell singer. Neither is wrong or right. Its about play style.

mattieice
08-05-2008, 02:12
So we all agree that she's pointless to take without the level one upgrade and the cluster of radients then?

Leogun_91
09-05-2008, 08:49
As an upgrade to a dryad unit they're certainly not worth much.
I disagree here it makes alot of difference as peaople are far more likely to refuse duel against/getting killed by this one than the regular champion and removing your enemies heroes and champion really boost your unit.

I think that they are worth their weight in gold.. They are metal right? That makes them worth quite alot.

Bumble the Great
13-05-2008, 09:19
I would rather take the lvl 2 and keep her safe, a branchwraith in a unit of dryads (bearing in mind you should not take them in any unit bigger than 8 IMO) is just giving easy VP's to your opponent, better to take the spellsinger and keep her well hidden.

popisdead
23-05-2008, 21:57
try and see.

I take two in the all FS list and like them.

bufordbugman
24-05-2008, 01:59
So we all agree that she's pointless to take without the level one upgrade and the cluster of radients then?

Not exactly. I'd say she should have ONE of those two at least to be worth it. I sometimes do one or the other but not both, depending on points issues or other Spites I want her to have. (No one has yet mentioned another small advantage she has over Spellsingers: she can take two Spites.)

But I'd agree that a naked Branchwraith with no Spites or lvl 1 upgrade is pretty pointless.