PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Wight King as BSB

Ettercap_DMW
07-05-2008, 00:51
I am running a mounted wight king as my bsb in a unit of black knights. Other then adding a lance, I am at odds with what to else to add. The black knights standard has the banner of the barrows. The grave guard unit I take has the Royal standard of Strigos. Only reason I mention is to not be offered those to add to him.

I would really like that unit to be a thorn in armies sides as I can hide behind terrain and vanhel's into combat if need be.

sulla
07-05-2008, 05:18
The regen banner is kickass on him. Not only does it make a regenerating 3 wound t5 2+as killing blow monster, but it gives his unit regen too and can even be used vs crumbling.

Use him in your tarpit unit. He is hard.

Admiral Samuel Eden
07-05-2008, 07:49
The banner that allows regeneration works miracles. The words 'pain in an enemies side' flood to that piece of evil.

Ettercap_DMW
07-05-2008, 13:08
I like the regen banner but I find it uneconomcial. It also makes him a 225pt average character. In games of 2200 or less, I may just leave him generic and use the points elsewhere.

Spirit
07-05-2008, 13:09
I would not give him a banner, just give him the bsb and something cool, like hand of dust.

Noone expects to lose a rank against a knight unit charging them BEFORE the combat. 2d6 S5 always kills the important one for the rank, and can usually kill enough to make them lose 2 rank bonuses.

That, or give him the gem of blood and the sword of kings.

If you dont roll a 1 he has four wounds, and killing blows on a 5+ with +1 to hit (banner on knights)

Also, you should try the banner of the dead legion on your knights, 6 or 7 unit strength 4 knights (so they will get outnumber and the enemy thus loses it, so you get a boost of +2 to your combat resolution and auto break them) is a scary prospect when they hit the front of a unit, wight king or no wight king!

Chiron
07-05-2008, 14:41
Sword that grants killing blow on 5+ is a good one, backed up by the double unit strength banner

E-616
07-05-2008, 14:50
I ran a unit of 6 Black knights with the Banner of the dead legion led by a Wight king with the War banner, both banners are fairly cheap and will give the unit a static combat resolution of 4 usually.

I took down 800 vp worth of Empire knights with one frontal charge from this unit, even though I rolled poorly for damage (caused 2 wounds altogether) the Wights toughness of 4 and 2+ save stopped them from taking any damage.

popisdead
23-05-2008, 22:02
he's really good as you loose one less black kngiht each turn you loose combat. Give him the item that grants +1T and then use the helm of command to give him WS 7, and give the unit the warbanner.

If you take 9 Black knights and this guy you'll mow through most flanks.

txamil
23-05-2008, 23:13
How big is the unit? For the points the best weapon might be another black knight or two.

DarthBinky
24-05-2008, 04:14
It's not the popular answer, but I'm a fan of the Royal Strigos banner. Combine it with the Banner of the Barrows, and you eliminate the one weak spot of the wights- they can have some difficulty hitting stuff (especially for me since I tend to roll crappy). So hitting most things on 3s (with rerolls) and wounding almost everyone on 2+ means lots of ouchy.

My opponents are usually so focused on the Blood Knights that they forget how brutal Black Knights can be when they actually hit...

I'd consider sticking the BSB with the Bloods, but they have so many attacks, they can miss a whole lot of times and still do a ton of damage. Wights on the other hand, can't really afford to miss quite so often...

Shadowsinner
24-05-2008, 06:31
125 point regeneration banner, meet 5 point rune of burning

Lord Aries
24-05-2008, 06:42
I would tell you to take you BSB, put him in an infantry unit... oh and make him a vampire, cause they rock.

6 Black Knights without barding, with only a standard+strigoi banner is all you need to invest to be a pain in the flank. If you put too many points into the unit, you are going to make them too much of a target. Being movement 16, they can really take a flank.

With the points, get a Varghulf, and a unit of 5 wolves. move them up the other flank, with the wolves re-formed to be snaking. When you charge with both on turn 2, you will negate ranks with wolves, and kill lots with the varghulf. Its a cheap investment to ruin someone's day.

Spirit
24-05-2008, 08:09
I recently tried a mounted wight king, in a unit of 5 unbarded knights with the banner of the undying legion.

The wight king had accursed armour and cursed book. T6, 3 wounds, WS6 (helm of command) and reduces the ememy heros ws to 1 if they try to hit you.

He ran straight into the nearest general and gave him a piece of his lance. It worked surprisingly well, the black knights kill most of the front rank and the wight lord allocates on the hero.

Lijacote
24-05-2008, 12:28
125 point regeneration banner, meet 5 point rune of burning

Meet Dragon Armour.

How is this relevant?

Shadowsinner
25-05-2008, 00:39
Meet Dragon Armour.

How is this relevant?

it shows that a 125 point banner can be worthless, so its a real risk to invest in such an expensive item

Max zero
25-05-2008, 03:49
it shows that a 125 point banner can be worthless, so its a real risk to invest in such an expensive item

Actually not really. If someone wants to waste their Cannon shots on my D6 raising GG unit they can be my guest. Means my Blood Knights and Wraiths get through unmolested.

Lord Inquisitor
25-05-2008, 04:01
I think the Wight King BSB in a unit of knights is tempting, much as I'm loathe to lose out on a wizard hero.

Personally I would go for a 2 magic banner combo. Royal Banner of Strigois is a must - the mounts also benefit from the hatred. After that, personally, I'd go for the War Banner. Only 25 points, and you're getting 3 points of combat resolution for the two banners.

sulla
25-05-2008, 05:21
I think the Wight King BSB in a unit of knights is tempting, much as I'm loathe to lose out on a wizard hero.

He's ok but in my experience, he's much harder mounted in a unit of grave guard with shields.

Unless you get him with crumbling, he's virtually unkillable (t5, 3 wounds. 2+ armour and regen). Combine this with a t4 3+ save block already generating +5-6 CR due to full ranks, 2 standards and possibly outnumber.

Even if they do lose combat (and it's no certainty with regen, vanhel's and the helm floating around) , they crumble one less than normal due to the BSB and then test to regen any losses they do make. Just a massive pain in the backside for any of my armies except for my Teclis one to deal with (thanks to his gamewinning IF spells).

Keep the knights cheap IMO so if they get charged of don't break the enemy, it's no big loss.

Max zero
25-05-2008, 05:45
He's ok but in my experience, he's much harder mounted in a unit of grave guard with shields.

Unless you get him with crumbling, he's virtually unkillable (t5, 3 wounds. 2+ armour and regen). Combine this with a t4 3+ save block already generating +5-6 CR due to full ranks, 2 standards and possibly outnumber.

Even if they do lose combat (and it's no certainty with regen, vanhel's and the helm floating around) , they crumble one less than normal due to the BSB and then test to regen any losses they do make. Just a massive pain in the backside for any of my armies except for my Teclis one to deal with (thanks to his gamewinning IF spells).

Keep the knights cheap IMO so if they get charged of don't break the enemy, it's no big loss.

Agree just one thing though. Crumbling wounds are applied to the unit first so you won't get him with crumbling until the unit is wiped out. No easy feat if its a GG unit.

Its not all that expensive either.

A ultra basic Wight King BSB with Drakenhof comes in at 225 points. T5, 3W, 3+ AS, regen.

A 19 strong GG unit with FC and a Warbanner is 283.

508 points for 20 strong heavy infantry block with magical KB attacks. It also regenerates and has 6 static CR (+outnumber potential). Raising D6 on 1 PD is just a bonus.

There is a reason they are so popular.

Cromenon
25-05-2008, 09:52
Ok, my question is, why not sticking him in a GG unit instead of in the BK? You can now put mounted characters in infantry units, and grave guard would give him the CR and (if you go for the GW) some punch, too...

Just a thought, for that's what I do...

sulla
25-05-2008, 17:33
Agree just one thing though. Crumbling wounds are applied to the unit first so you won't get him with crumbling until the unit is wiped out. No easy feat if its a GG unit.

Sorry, what I meant was, a unit of Black knights will crumble quickly, exposing the king. Whereas, in a unit of grave guard, he will probably never be exposed to crumbling (not to mention that;

a) grave guard are brought back d6 at a time as opposed to knights which are brought back 1 per invocation

AND

b) Grave guard are far more likely to be closer to your general anyway, so much more likely to be in range of invocations, vanhel's and the corpse cart. Knights can easily get out of range and rely totally on combat results.

For me, Grave Guard just make too much sense.

Lord Inquisitor
28-05-2008, 23:00
The fact that the Wight King is the only character that can join the Black Knights makes it tempting to put him there though.

The GG can always have a Vamp with them if they need it - but in my experience the vamps are better off lending their combat ability to the skeletons (who need it more!) - the GG can look after themselves.

The Black Knights, on the other hand, can often do with a bit more punch - and if you're plumping for the Regen banner, they can use it more. The GG are pathetically easy to resurrect, while the BK can do with a bit more protection as they're harder to raise.