PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen slann mage priest tactic's

Necronoxz
07-05-2008, 17:46
Hi all,

I want to know what is the best to field my slann mage priest....

I can field it on his own and give him a 2+ ward save.
I can field it with a unit from 20 tempel guard's.

I want to know what the best thing is to do and ofc. why...

mayby some advice whit's unit's I can combinate the best with my army also ;)

Regard's Bas

W0lf
07-05-2008, 17:53
Best combo for a slaan in my tried and tested oppinion:

Slaan mage priest
2nd Gen
Plaque of Domnion
Plaque of tepok
Diadem of Power
BSB
Warbanner.
610 pts.

With 5 spells + Drain magic diadem and dominion this slaan is a power dice maniac.

The diadem is always useful and Tepok gives you another spell (which means you can get an extra free power dice).

It is the best set-up possible imo and several people i know agree.

theunwantedbeing
07-05-2008, 18:01
2nd generation slann, +1 spell plaque, +1 dice per phase plaque, diadem of power.
Skink with the staff of sorcery scouting to give you line of sight to things.

This gives you:
5 spells plus drain magic. (possible 6 free dice)
8 powerdice, 7 of which the slann can use (this goes up to 10 and 9 respectively if you stored 2 dice in your diadem the previous magic phase)
6 dispel dice ( 8 if you saved 2 in the diadem)
+1 to cast from the slann
+2 to dispel attempts

Put him on his own at first, see how that goes(he can hide in a forest if you really want..so long as the skink priest is alive to give him line of sight to things).
Then try him in a unit of temple guard.
Then try him in a unit of saurus warriors.

See which you prefer and run with that.
The combination of items is how I'de equip a second generation slann.
Swapping the plaque of dominion for the plaque of protection would get you the 2+ ward save when he's on his own at the cost of just 1 dice per phase.

Keep your character's cheap if you can.
(as cheap as a second generation slann can be!)
That way you have more points left to spend on your army.

Kroxigor are great(units of 4), as are salamanders (worth taking at least 2)
Even saurus cavalry are good (they hit like a train).

Necronoxz
07-05-2008, 18:13

Slaan mage priest
2nd Gen
Plaque of Domnion
Plaque of tepok
Diadem of Power
BSB
Warbanner.
610 pts.

With 5 spells + Drain magic diadem and dominion this slaan is a power dice maniac.

The diadem is always useful and Tepok gives you another spell (which means you can get an extra free power dice).

you field this one alone or in a unit tempel guard's??

Necronoxz
07-05-2008, 18:22
Put him on his own at first, see how that goes(he can hide in a forest if you really want..so long as the skink priest is alive to give him line of sight to things).
Then try him in a unit of temple guard.
Then try him in a unit of saurus warriors.

See which you prefer and run with that.
The combination of items is how I'de equip a second generation slann.
Swapping the plaque of dominion for the plaque of protection would get you the 2+ ward save when he's on his own at the cost of just 1 dice per phase.

Kroxigor are great(units of 4), as are salamanders (worth taking at least 2)
Even saurus cavalry are good (they hit like a train).

If I field my slann in a unit, I field him in a unit tempel guard's this is IMO the only unit in the lizardmen that stand there ground and keep fighting ;) with a ws4 s4 t4 not bad at all...

If I field him alone I alway's give him a 2+ ward save... for his own protection...

the kroxies are great on the flank charge ;)
salamanders never maded true for thear points... (mayby I use them wrong)
the saurus cavalry I never tried them before...

Oenghus
07-05-2008, 18:23
There's a great lizardmen website that has an article you might want to read. It goes over some of the nastier Slaan builds. I've never tried them out, as I run an Oldblood, but the site has some excellent advice and forums. Their Oldblood and Scar-Vet builds are very solid.

Clicky click click here. (http://www.pyramidvault.net/tactics/slann/slann01.asp)

MarcoPollo
07-05-2008, 18:23
The +2 to dispell can only happen if the Slann has the staff of sorcery (IIRC).

The way I like to kit out my distance damage phases with a lizzie army is this.

3 gen slann (so he allows for a second rare slot), and take 2X3 salamanders. You can tool up you slann to still be a monster in the magic phase, but the salamanders provided distance threats that cannot be "dispelled" and autohit.

I don't put him in a TG unit at 2K because that is too many points for one unit. Instead, I put him either by himself, or in a 11 man unit of saurus wariors (11+4=15 ... 3 ranks). I usually give him very little extra, to keep points down. This set up creates more consistency in my army for distance damage. If I want to shut down magic, like TK or Tzeetch then I use a staff of sorcery and 2 Dispell scrolls. If I want to tool him up for magic, I use the set up mentioned earlier.

redrum
07-05-2008, 18:30

Slaan mage priest
2nd Gen
Plaque of Domnion
Plaque of tepok
Diadem of Power
BSB
Warbanner.
610 pts.

This is the setup I've been the most succesful with (not that that's saying much). Obviously you only take the warbanner if the Slann in in a unit of Temple Guard or Saurus. Just as an aside, the 2+ ward save that a couple of people have mentioned is only good against shooty armies, in CC it's still a 4+ ward save.

If you're going up against fear causing armies the Totem of Prophecy, while expensive can be useful. I still contend that a 2nd gen (or any gen actually) Slann should be a fear causing creature. It just doesn't make sense to me that a zombie causes fear but the oldest most powerful being on the planet doesn't. Eh, just my $.02.

Necronoxz
07-05-2008, 18:32
the salamanders provided distance threats that cannot be "dispelled" and autohit.

the salamanders auto hit???
I tought I needed to toll to hit also...
mayby that's why they are so damn badly over here...

redrum
07-05-2008, 18:35
:eek:
the salamanders auto hit???
I tought I needed to toll to hit also...
mayby that's why they are so damn badly over here...

:eek: Yeah mate, that's what makes them so good. If you've been rolling to hit with them you've been cheating yourself.

Oh and as to the 3rd Gen Slann, I just don't see the value. For an extra 50pts you get 1 extra dice on every spell you cast, that's worth the 50pts right there, not to mention the +1 wound. I know losing a rare slot stings but with a Slann it's either 4th gen (for immunity to miscasts) or 2nd for me.

Necronoxz
07-05-2008, 18:45
:eek:

:eek: Yeah mate, that's what makes them so good. If you've been rolling to hit with them you've been cheating yourself.

Oh and as to the 3rd Gen Slann, I just don't see the value. For an extra 50pts you get 1 extra dice on every spell you cast, that's worth the 50pts right there, not to mention the +1 wound. I know losing a rare slot stings but with a Slann it's either 4th gen (for immunity to miscasts) or 2nd for me.

tnx good to know that I cheating myself hahaha :)
so let's give the salamanders another try and now I dont cheat myself :P

but for me it's also or a 4th gen or a 2nd gen slann...
3th and 5th just dont do it...

MarcoPollo
07-05-2008, 20:14
I guess you are right about the 3rd gen slann. I usually play alot against magic heavy armies like tzeetch, skaven or VC. So I like to be able to shut them down with drain magic. But now that I've read up on the slaan tactics on the "vault", I think I will save some points on that and go 4th gen.

The problem with using 6 sallies, is that you usually hear cries of cheese, especially with a slann.

TheMav80
08-05-2008, 00:12

Slaan mage priest
2nd Gen
Plaque of Domnion
Plaque of tepok
Diadem of Power
BSB
Warbanner.
610 pts.

I do mine the same way only with one minor difference.

I always run him in a unit of Temple Guard. The TG take the Warbanner and the Slann takes the Totem of Prophecy. I play VC a lot. I kept losing combat to fear causing units and auto-running. So the Totem of prophecy was well worth the price tag.

Bac5665
08-05-2008, 02:59
Never, ever, ever, ever take a Slaan without the totem of prophecy. The 1,000 point sink of a Slann and temple guard is too tempting a target, and since most armies can cause fear these days, the temple guard unit and the slaan are much too vulnerable to autobreak. Also, the banner really helps the templeguard break non-fear causing troops, which can be a real help too.

stampy
08-05-2008, 03:14
I use a slann that is on his own, not in a temple guard or saurus warrior unit. So, my set up is as follows:

2nd Generation Slann
Divine Plaque of Protection
Plaque of Tepok
Diadem of Power

I don't see the point of using a battle standard on him, as he is enough pts as it is and if he is in combat, then you have done completely wrong as he shouldn't be. If he does get in combat, he's had it anyway. 1 Skink attack will do nothing and opponents will defeat you through ranks, banners and outnumbering.

Conotor
08-05-2008, 11:48
Put him in 10 temple guard. They have stubborn, so u don't neeed rank bonus.

Always take the standard.

The_Dragon_Rising
08-05-2008, 13:36
I run a "machine-gun slaan" with tepok, BSB, 2+ Ward, Diadem and he runs by himself. Skink horde so magic banner rarely mattters and i find the 2+ ward to be needed for when (not if) my skink priest dies and he has to go out into the open.

ReveredChaplainDrake
08-05-2008, 14:07
I run a "machine-gun slaan" with tepok, BSB, 2+ Ward, Diadem and he runs by himself. Skink horde so magic banner rarely mattters and i find the 2+ ward to be needed for when (not if) my skink priest dies and he has to go out into the open.

I run basically the same Slann. Also on his own, because he's Warmachine bait. (Cannonballs tend to bounce right off him, and he can absorb a stupid amount of Hellblaster hits, even for a large target. And Bolt Throwers might as well be spitballs to him.) I've thought about taking the Sun Standard of Chotec for the Slann to offset the fact that he's a Large Target when shot at, but I've simply not been able to come up with the points, nor the effort. 8 wounds, T5 and a 2+ ward is sufficient.

Slanns really make the list, but even a 2nd Gen on his own can't dominate magic utterly. So what I do is I take the Host of Quetzl. Not only is the Spawning itself pretty cool, but the Lore of Death gives Skink Priests a Str4 Magic Missile as its base spell, or potentially a 2d6 Str4 Magic Missile if I'm lucky. This works great to either bait off Dispel Dice or to knock off Gunlines as I advance. Much better than that loser Portent of Far spell that Vanilla Lizards use.

Necronoxz
08-05-2008, 16:16

I think this is queit the slann I going to use...

@ ReveredChaplainDrake this is also a good one to think about :)

I have a little Question btw...
Can my slann join a unit of skink skirmishers???
and if he can do he get the -1 for shooting @ skirmishers?
and do he get the 360 range to look or not?

Eigilb
08-05-2008, 16:21
I have a little Question btw...
Can my slann join a unit of skink skirmishers???
and if he can do he get the -1 for shooting @ skirmishers?
and do he get the 360 range to look or not?

As far as i know, he can only join temple gaurds and saurus warriors - not skinks.

The_Dragon_Rising
08-05-2008, 17:19
@ Necronoxz:I don't know if he can join skinks but i think being a large target and US5 he cannot benefit from skirmish however being a large target he keeps whatever LOS rules he already has.

@Revered Chaplain: Funnily enough i also run quetzl for death

@ All: If you do this then i find skinks with shield also become great units when kept back as 4+ AS in combat coupled with LD9 cold blooded re-roll on break teste means they have stayed in many a combat slowing some formidable units enough for the slaan to march/float away and blast them when the skinks die.

Necronoxz
08-05-2008, 17:23
will I just readed in the BRB the skirmish rules and only mansize creatures can join skirmish unit's :( so he cant....