PDA

View Full Version : The Ymga Monolith

Taos
21-04-2005, 06:13
While flipping through the background section of the new 4th edition rulebook (the only one I have), I came across the map of the galaxy, and noticed that way over on the Eastern Fringe, by the Tau, was something called the Ymga Monolith. Does anyone know what this is?

Rich
21-04-2005, 10:40
A place where young men of a certain sexuality can clan together?

On a serious note, its not something that has been fleshed out much in the fluff, but essentially it seems to be somehow connected with the necrons (as everything is nowadays) - your guess is as good as any as to what it actually is.

Sgt.Epoch
21-04-2005, 12:31
The Ymga Monolith is a dyson sphere containing 'The Outsider'.

The Outside is a C'tan who was tricked into eating the other C'tan by the Deceiver. The fragments of his brother C'tan were like glass and twisted and cut inside of him like fragments of glass, slowly driving him insane. Now he has returned from hibenation for revenge.

The Monolith is in the path of the new tyranid hivefleet, which is avoiding the Monolith as it approaches the southern rim.

Info from Necron Codex, forgot what page, will look it up later.

Wraith
21-04-2005, 13:14
The Ymga Monolith is NOT the Outsider's Dyson Sphere.

It could be related to the Necrontyr however, but it's likely it could be a chaos monolith which according to old fluff come into existance in the exact place when a Chaos Champion becomes a Deamon Prince. Certainly GW came up with the Ymga Monolith long before they came up with the Necrons and long before they came up with the C'tan in there current form.

The monolith first appears in the second edition Tyranid codex (as far as I can tell) and is to the galactic North of Macragge in the Ultima Segmnetum close to Delta Tao and the infested hive planet Radnar.

The Outsider's Dyson is right in the path of Hive Fleet Leviathan which is some way away from the two previous Hive fleets (Behemoth and Kraken) -- Leviathan is moving 'upwards' through the galatic plane rather than across it to the galatic East as per Behemoth and Kraken.

Lion El Jason
21-04-2005, 13:46
At first we all thought it'd be a chaos monolith but then when the necron codex was done they seem to have taken as many loose ends as they can and crowbarred them into necron background so it wouldn't surprise me if it were now a necron thingy...

Lord Balor
21-04-2005, 14:10
It may have been a Chaos Monolith at one stage but GW is know for twisting fluff to suit anything new they shove into the 40K universe. Like el jason said, the old fluff has been unoficially re-written to suit the Necrons in their current incarnation. Yet wraith's point does raise the question on whether it is a dyson sphere or not as Leviathan is no where near it and diminishes the whole 'the nids are avoiding it'...

Its most proberbly just another mystery and loose ends that GW will get back to in time.

He Who Laughs
21-04-2005, 15:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Epoch
The Ymga Monolith is a dyson sphere containing 'The Outsider'.

Just a question, where in the recent fluff does it talk about Dyson spheres? Not saying I don't believe it's not there - it's just I've only ever read about them here on Portent and was wondering where it coud be found.

And is it just me,or d'ya think that GW is taking the **** with 'Dyson' Spheres?
(Dyson being the first to patent those expensive funky neon-coloured cyclone/bag-less vacuum cleaners - that can apparently suck up anything ;)

Wraith
21-04-2005, 15:06
Theres a tiny picture of the Ymga Monolith in the second edition nid codex and its shaped like a hollow trapezoid...

Just a question, where in the recent fluff does it talk about Dyson spheres? Not saying I don't believe it's not there - it's just I've only ever read about them here on Portent and was wondering where it coud be found.

The Necron codex and a brief, cryptic refference in the white dwarf published Eldar Mythic cycles but nothing which on it's own you'd notice.

And is it just me,or d'ya think that GW is taking the **** with 'Dyson' Spheres?
(Dyson being the first to patent those expensive funky neon-coloured cyclone/bag-less vacuum cleaners - that can apparently suck up anything

:rolleyes: GW don't call it a 'Dyson Sphere' it's just 'in the real world' we call an artificial object which encloses a star a 'Dyson Sphere' after the physicist Freeman Dyson who theorised it's creation in a paper he published in 1959.

He Who Laughs
21-04-2005, 15:22
:rolleyes: GW don't call it a 'Dyson Sphere' it's just 'in the real world' we call an artificial object which encloses a star a 'Dyson Sphere' after the physicist Freeman Dyson who theorised it's creation in a paper he published in 1959.

And who says playing GW games isn't educational :p
Thanks for that one Wraith, that's quite interesting.

Lion El Jason
21-04-2005, 15:33
I only know of them from the Star Trek episode "Relics" it was the TNG episode with Jams Dogan (Scoty) in it

malika
21-04-2005, 15:33
The Outside is a C'tan who was tricked into eating the other C'tan by the Deceiver. The fragments of his brother C'tan were like glass and twisted and cut inside of him like fragments of glass, slowly driving him insane. Now he has returned from hibenation for revenge.

Almost right...the Nightbringer was tricked by the Deceiver. The Outsider was tricked by the Eldar Laughing God.

Sgt.Epoch
21-04-2005, 16:43
Almost right...the Nightbringer was tricked by the Deceiver. The Outsider was tricked by the Eldar Laughing God.

Meh, your right. I didn't have the codex to hand at the time.

bigred
21-04-2005, 18:30
The Ymga Monolith is not the Outsider's Dyson Sphere, (which is much closer to the galactic core somewhere in the Segmentum Solar).

I've always thought the Ymga Monolith is the Design Studio's homage to 2001:A Space Odyssey. It's called a Monolith, and it looks just like the one from the 2001 series. Its been around since back in 2nd edition, and GW loves to plant homages to history and sci-fi in general all over the 40k fluff.

-bigred

Sir Charles
22-04-2005, 00:44

Who says that makes his statment wrong? ;)

Lord Balor
22-04-2005, 10:20
Oh boy, here we go agin, the whole Outsider=The Laughing God theory :p

*Listens to Bro's Sound System being turned up*

"...Disconnect and Self Destruct one bullet at a time..."

:eek:

Now that was possible the freakest thing that has happened to me all year...

devolutionary
22-04-2005, 11:20
@Lord Balor
That's just beautiful dude :D

In regard to the Ymga Monolith, I've always wondered myself what it was about. Scattered references make my head spin. Hopefully the NId dex will have a bit more info.

He Who Laughs
23-04-2005, 00:13
The Ymga Monolith is not the Outsider's Dyson Sphere, (which is much closer to the galactic core somewhere in the Segmentum Solar).

True, but actually underneath the galactic plane (I'm sure you meant this though).
I'm sure this has gone before - but what the hell, I thought it was pretty nifty when I figured it out...

The inside back cover of the Necron Codex shows reported Necron actvity - with four points of interest: Pavonis, Mars, Naogeddon and an anomoly that the 'Nids avoid. We know that Pavonis is where the Nightbringer was interned, Mars is where the Dragon should be, and the anomaly is where the Laughing God entombed the Outsider (theres a note in the page next to it saying that either this anomaly is huge, or has an albedo range near infinite - which would make perfect sense seeing as though the C'tan feed upon the energy of suns = light, and an object with infinte albedo range would REFLECT all light away - hence further weakening the Outsider) - hence we can assume Naogeddon is where the Deceiver popped up again from.

Now, these four points, and the lines of reported Necron activity form an almost perfect triangular pyramid - enclosing something in the centre of the galaxy. I originally thought this maybe the Eye of Terror (to tie in with the Grand Scheme to close off the Warp) - but this is too far off to the 'left/west' of the galactic plane. It's pretty obvious that it encloses something at the galactic core - but what? I know theres all manner of dirty great big stars (and black holes) - but what significance could this have?

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-04-2005, 17:14
Hold on, the Outsider is trapped in a dyson sphere? I read somewhere that he hates war [unlike other C'tan, which is why he's called the Outsider] and destroys battle barges, strike cruisers, Monoliths etc. to try and prevent war.

And the laughing god is not a C'tan, he is an Eldar god, Eldar are the most psychic of all species [apart from Orks, but Eldar make more use of their powers]. Psychic powers are drawn from the warp, C'tan are weakened by the warp, therefore the laughing god is most probably a warp god that may have [or had] a Necrodermis [such as Khaine].

gLOBS
05-02-2006, 05:49
Heh yea and I cannot see the deceiver in an audience with slaanesh bargaining for a solitaires soul.

^Well this will teach me to click on links and answer them without seeing when they are posted heh.

AgentZero
05-02-2006, 06:37
No one is confusing the Laughing God and the C'Tan Outsider as being the same being.
One tricked the other.Or so the story goes.

Mr. Shadowsun
05-02-2006, 19:19
well who do you think the eldar gods really are? just think who created the eladr, and for that most of the other races of the galaxy. the eldar gods are the old ones. the only source to this thory is that the blackstones were created by the old ones, but in a seperate story, the eldar god vaul, god of the forge. the eldar gods are in no way the star gods.

Cpt. Andreus
06-02-2006, 06:30
The SUGGESTION is that the Deciever is the Laughing God (not the Outsider, that also may be a contention but not a popular one). See, because the Decvier DECEIVES... apparently he rivals Tzeench in his conspiricies and machinations. If true, he could have easily posed as the Laughing God and done a whole lot of manipulating and lying. You can't take the Eldar's religeous beliefs at such face value, especially when GW has dropped hints that the Deciever was somehow involved. How, why, and to what extent is impossible to know, what we DO know is that GW has virtually said 'when it comes to the Deciever anything is possible'... the C'tan are older than old, I'm sure they've had plenty of time to do all kinds of twisted things to the mortal realms.

I say this not because I am some kind of C'tan lover, nor do I suggest GW supplant all older fluff with newer C'tan related content. It's simply that GW has rewritten history before with much flimsier contexts ("the bugs ate them", "zoats are dead", etc.). If you love the old fluff, that's cool, but realize and accept the fact that GW is going to move on with or without you, there are people who have sufficated and died holding their breath waiting for the Squats return or the appearance of Space Skaven.

Outlaw289
17-08-2006, 18:27
Hold on, the Outsider is trapped in a dyson sphere? I read somewhere that he hates war [unlike other C'tan, which is why he's called the Outsider] and destroys battle barges, strike cruisers, Monoliths etc. to try and prevent war.

Really? Why?

ArtificerArmour
17-08-2006, 19:50
Double necromancy!?!

Skrittiblak
18-08-2006, 13:03
Any chance there is a relationship between the Ymga Monolith and the Ymgarl Genestealers?