PDA

View Full Version : 2,000pts Empire (What anvil unit?)

Milney
07-05-2008, 22:47
Well after being involved in alot of discussions about the new Vampire Counts (and ofcourse the ever increasing number of posts regarding the new Demons) and how this new wave of ItP and Fear-causing armies is impacting low Ld armies such as Skaven, Orcs & Goblins and Empire - I was intrigued.

Having got copies of the Skaven and Orcs & Goblins I've thought up a few lists for them, but I until recently I'd only had the 6th Ed. Empire book. Well having... erm... "acquired" the new Empire book I've been impressed.

So impressed that I've been moved to start a small force (to be later added to). I've decided on a largely 'Priesthood' based list, with a few unusual choices thrown in - to try and move away from the usual Handgunner/Cannon-fest that we see all so often.

Below, I've listed what my proposed 2,000pts list will look like. Unfortunately I see a lack of a decent "Hammer" unit being a big problem with the list, so any suggestions as to what might be a good swap in would be welcomed.

Lord:

Arch Lector; Heavy Armour, Sword of Sigimund, Shield of the Gorgon, Van Horstmann's Speculum.

Hero:

Warrior Priest; Great Weapon, Armour of Meteroic Iron, Icon of Magnus.

Captain; Full Plate, Battle Standard Bearer, Griffon Standard.

Wizard; Rod of Power.

Core:

30 Flaggelants; Prophet of Doom.

10 Archers; Huntsmen.

13 Archers.

Special:

Mortar.

Mortar.

27 Greatswords; Full Command.

Rare:

30 Flaggelants; Prophet of Doom.

Helstorm Rocket Battery.

I'm thinking of perhaps even making it a Cult of Ulric list (would make explaining the Wizard easier - as an Amber wizard, using Bear's Anger). However as much as I love the idea of 3 "Immune" to Fear units (2 ItP and one led by the Icon of Magnus) backed by Mortars pounding the enemy, once they get into combat with my all I have are sturdy anvil units.

What would anyone suggest I swap out for a Hammer unit (and which unit?).

Gimp
07-05-2008, 23:25
Having got copies of the Skaven and Orcs & Goblins I've thought up a few lists for them, but I until recently I'd only had the 6th Ed. Empire book. Well having... erm... "acquired" the new Empire book I've been impressed.

You downloaded it didn't you?

:angel:

I would have thought a Steam Tank would have been the number 1 choice when playing against Vampire Counts.

I question the 2 mortars. Yes the will blow Zombies and Gouls away but what about Blood knights and "giant bat thing" (cant spell it) :eyebrows: maybe a cannon would work well.

Milney
07-05-2008, 23:30
You downloaded it didn't you?

:angel:

I admit nothing!

*shifty eyes*

minionboy
07-05-2008, 23:36
I don't think this army will do to well against VC. The Flagellants are too easy to pull out of formation, which is very bad. Meaning they can use Dire Wolves to make your flagellants go running off into the distance while Blood Knights have their way with your squishy bits. One unit of Flagellants in the core of your army should be good enough.

Speaking of Blood Knights, I think the Ring of Volans (sp?) is my new favorite little surprise. Late in the game, unleashing "The Spirit of the Forge" can be devastating, especially if they've used up all their Dispel Scrolls. To properly get rid of some nasty dispel scrolls, I think you should drop the Warrior Priest and get a second wizard, load them both up with Lore of Light and watch the dispel scrolls fly!

Milney
07-05-2008, 23:45
There seems to be a missinterpretation in the purpose of the list.

I didn't mean that this list was designed to fight VC, or Demons. I was saying that the discussion about ItP/Fear causing armies was the catalyst for me looking into Empire.

The list is seperate, just something I thought would be fluffy and interesting. Currently it lacks a meaningful CC Hammer unit, which is why I'm asking for input.

I'll take the criticisms on board though - but remember I'm more interested in fluffly/thematic potential hammer units and how to reconstruct in general - not to fight specific armies ;)

Gimp
08-05-2008, 00:27
Why not try a unit of Inner Circle Knights with a Grand Master.

Strength 6 on the charge and immune to psychology that is very handy against fear causing enemy and is very much a hammer.

Once again the Steam Tank also makes a great unit against fear causing enemy.

Conotor
08-05-2008, 03:02
U should add a few halberd detachments.