PDA

View Full Version : Kindred of the Fall (CC WE)

Elanthanis
08-05-2008, 00:14
This is a close-combat oriented army I've been building- figured I'd throw this out there for critique. It evolved based on the ease of painting due to dipping and the absolutely magnificent effects I got out of my treeman and dragon models. This is an army which is built to what I want in a showcase, but hopefully will evolve into something somewhat competetive.

Second, I realized I can't outshoot firing line armies, so I might as well try and screw 'em.

1 * Highborn General w/ 2ndWeapon; Longbow, Starfire Arrows, Armour of the Fey, Bow of Loren, Forest Dragon @ 566 Pts

1 Treeman Ancient w/ Annoyance of Netlings, Cluster of Radiants, Murder of Spites, Resplendence of Luminescents @ 425 Pts

1 * Wardancer Noble w/ Wardancer; Wardancer Weapons, Blades of Loec, Gwytherc's Horn @ 155 Pts

1 Branchwraith w/ Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren, Lamentation of Despairs, Pageant of Skrikes @ 165 Pts

1 Glamourweave Spellsinger; Magic Level 2; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow, Calaingor's Stave, Elf Steed @ 182 Pts

9 Dryads, 1 Branch Nymph @ 132 Pts

4 Glade Riders, 1 Horse Master and command@ 156 Pts

11 Wardancers, 1 Bladesinger, command@ 237 Pts

2 Treekin, 1 Elder @ 215 Pts

4 Wild Riders, 1 Wild Hunter, command @ 216 Pts

1 Treeman @ 285 Pts

Casting Pool: 5

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 62

Total Army Cost: 2998

RavenBloodwind
08-05-2008, 02:44
Hmmm, where to start...

Highborn General w/ 2ndWeapon; Longbow, Starfire Arrows, Armour of the Fey, Bow of Loren

The second weapon gives no bonus when mounted. The armour of the fey only helps against melee magical attacks which won't be overly common, the BoL is fine, starfire arrows may work well although most people go for arcane bodkins and go shooting knights. I'd give this guy the stone of crystal mere which will protect the dragon as well as the rider for the same points.

Treeman Ancient w/ Annoyance of Netlings, Cluster of Radiants, Murder of Spites, Resplendence of Luminescents
The treeman is a forest spirit so his attacks are already magical, the resplendence is a waste of points. I'd leave the annoyance and maybe murder or give him pageant. Either he or the branchwraith can use the cluster but the treeman has a much bigger 'shoot me' sign on him and adding 100 pts to his cost just makes a more expensive loss when he eats that 3rd flaming bolt from a runed up dwarf bolt thrower.

Wardancer Noble w/ Wardancer; Wardancer Weapons, Blades of Loec, Gwytherc's Horn
Wardancers are automatically immune to psychology anyway and wardancer characters can only join wardancer units which are already ItP as well. Drop the horn!

Branchwraith w/ Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren, Lamentation of Despairs, Pageant of Skrikes
See comments on treeman above

Glamourweave Spellsinger; Magic Level 2; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow, Calaingor's Stave, Elf Steed
The kindred is an awefully expensive upgrade. You also have very little magic. I'd look at downgrading this to a plain level 1 on foot with 2 scrolls to plump up your magic defense. Keeping her mounted is fine but the lvl 2 upgrade won't add much.

Your dryad units are basically fine and I like putting champions in them (which half of posters will tell you not to day)

Glade riders have absolutely no right to have a banner or champion. They are fragile as hell and should only rarely enter combat (to hit a flank and negate ranks). Lose the champion (who only gets a bump in BS anyway) and the banner, keep the musician so you can rally on 9s after fleeing.

The wardancers are okay although 2 6-man units are probably better than one 12-man. You'll never get more than 8 in combat at a time and you really don't need that many ablative wounds. Spare points from characters could bulk you up to 2 8-man units which is really plenty.

Treekin are great but the elder costs you a TON of points for +1A and the option to issue challenges (and the handycap of then having to accept challenges)

Wild riders aren't my cup of tea, but the build seems okay. Giving them a warbanner is a reasonable option too.

Two treemen won't make you any friends but are probably fine at 3k. If you want to be really nasty take a BSB instead of the wardancer noble. Treemen with stubborn re-rolls? Very nasty.

Lord Dan
08-05-2008, 02:53
Raven hit everything I could have thought of (and more), however I will say that you have the smallest CC oriented 3,000 point WE list I've ever seen. No point in trying to out-CC someone if you have no models to fight them with. ;) I would consider dropping some of your expensive characters to pick up some more units. (I was expecting, honestly, at least 4 units of 6-7 Wardancers)

Elanthanis
08-05-2008, 12:55
I took most of the suggestions to heart-

I swapped the extra hand weapon for a spear, swapped the Radiants for Malevolents, dropped the horn on the wardancer, dropped the magic level and glamourweave but kept the steed, split into 3 units of 5 wardancers. The elder is gone, the wild riders are staying, and the two treemen are still gonna be in.

Now I just need to build my second treeman which needs to keep this guy company (http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/855/dsc01094is4.jpg).