PDA

View Full Version : Warseer built! 2k High Elves

Amornar
08-05-2008, 03:06
Dear fellow Warseers,

After making a ton of High Elf lists, none of which I am completely happy with I came up with an idea. Why not start from the ground up using input from all of you to make a strong and versatile elf list. I am open to any kind of list, magic heavy, star dragon, etc. I really just want to see what kind of list we can make involving everyone from the start. So if you have an idea for the list please feel free to post(and defend) a unit/character/theme/etc. So without further ado lets see how works...

Cheers,

Amornar

Nals
08-05-2008, 03:18
hmm i think a balanced list would be the best, with maybe a good core of either archers or spearmen depending on shooting or close combat then back it up with sword masters and white lions maybe a couple of repeater bolt throwers for fun.

Lord Dan
08-05-2008, 03:27
Spearmen core, no doubt. Two units of 18-21, with 6-7 across and 3 ranks.

Amornar
08-05-2008, 13:19
Ok so it seems for core we have:

20 Spearmen
Full Command

20 Spearmen
Full Command

Characters? Specials? Rares?

Amornar
09-05-2008, 13:47
What do you guys think about elite troops? Swordmasters, White Lions or Phoenix Guard? Also what would be the best eagle/rbt ratio? 4 Eagles? 2 Eagles/2 RBT?

brakke_aep
09-05-2008, 15:40
I prefer Phoenix guard over white lions and swordmasters.
Pro: 4+ ward save (kick ass), cause fear and most important Ld9 instead of 8
Neg: "only" S4.
Swordmaster are awesome in combat but are also very very vunerable. They die just as fast as a goblin from missile fire and magic.
White lions: Have good Strenght and have a decent defence vs shooting but not as good as Phoenix guard. They die in combat because they hardly have a save. There stubbornrule is very good, but not as good as causing fear + Ld9.

Phoenix guard will not do so much damage as the others but they are much more reliable. I think they have also got the highest fluff factor.

I would say 15-20 Phoenix guard + full command with a war banner. If you want to be annoying, give the champion the armour of meteoric iron and fight challenges with characters.

About the rare choices: 2 eagles and 2 bolttrowers. it worked in the past and it will work in the future

ehm about characters: You need at least a L2 mage. I suggest to take a second one. One with annulian chrystal and one with 2 scrolls and a silver wand. Magic defence is vital. High elf Combat characters are not my specialty. I'm not a fan about combat characters because I think that Dragon princes can do that job much better and cheaper. 30points for M8 2A, S5 Ld9 heavy cavalry is a bargain. I suggest to take at least one unit of 6 DP with a banner in your 2000p list.

WhiteKnight
11-05-2008, 21:14
If you want solid magic defence, equip a hard hitting unit like Dragon princes or phoenix guard with the Banner or Arcane Protection. Gives them Magic Resistance (2), 2 more dispel dice to use. Also get Caradryan for another Magic Resistance (2). Put Caradryan in the phoenix guard and the banner of arcane protection to a unit like dragon princes or another elite infantry unit.

TIP: Give one mage the seerstaff of saphery, pick lore of heavens, get spells Celestial shield for shooting and magic defence and comet of casondora to focus the opponents dispel dice on.

Demise Of Sanity
11-05-2008, 21:20
In my force i have a slightly obscure idea but here goes lol:
10 lothern guard ( full command)
12 spearmen (Full Command)
12 archers ( full)
20 archers ( with champion , needs standard and musician)
Big units for stand ground ideas to jsut stand thre , and smaller ones for other tasks so im not having vast amounts of infantry having to move. Obviouly i ahve other units.
Get some swordmasters ( i ahve 12 , champion needs completeing). Even get soem dogs of war liek Golgfag's ogres to jsut smash throguh enemy lines thn get your elves in....

Amornar
11-05-2008, 23:39
Alright well I've taken some comments and put together a few lists, thought I would see if I could get a little feedback about which ones people like and what they might change.

List 1

Archmage
Level 4
2 Dispel Scrolls
Jewel of Dusk
Folariath’s Robe

Noble
BSB
Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor
Amulet of Light

Mage
Level 2
Silver Wand
Ring of Fury

20 Spearmen
Full Command

11 Archers

14 Phoenix Guard
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery

10 White Lions

10 White Lions

5 Shadow Warriors

Eagle

Eagle

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL: 1999

List 2:

Prince
Star Lance
Helm of Fortune
Guardian Phoenix
Talisman of Loec
Dragon Armour
Shield
Star Dragon

Mage
2 Dispel Scrolls
Gem of Courage

10 Archers

10 Archers

5 Dragon Princes

5 Dragon Princes

5 Dragon Princes

5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Shadow Warriors

5 Shadow Warriors

Eagle

Eagle

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL: 1997

List 3: (Chrace themed, really love the background and feel of Chrace, unfortunatly seems the least powerful)

Prince
White Sword
Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix
Talisman of Loec

Noble
Star Lance
Enchanted Shield
Dragon Armour
Barded Elven Steed
BSB

Mage
2 Dispel Scrolls

19 Spearmen
Full Command

19 Spearmen
Full Command

14 White Lions
Full Command

10 White Lions

10 White Lions

1 White Lion Chariot of Chrace

5 Dragon Princes

Eagle

Eagle

Eagle

Eagle

TOTAL: 1994

Amornar
12-05-2008, 23:02
Anyone? I am really interested in starting High Elves, just need some help with getting a list.

EndlessBug
13-05-2008, 00:52
well mostly it seems you've only partly listened to peoples suggestions.

Summary of suggestions:

Lord:
I suggest a Prince with armour of caledor white sword, guardian phoenix and talisman of loec

Heroes:
Caradryn
2 level 2 mages (One with annulian chrystal and one with 2 scrolls and a silver wand)
my personal set up choice would be: One with Ring of Fury and silver wand and one with a scroll and the seerstaff

Core:
2 units of 18-21 Spearmen
1 unit of these might be enough, a unit of 10 archers for the other choice might be good instead of the 2nd

Special:
Swordmasters (12)
Phoenix Guard (15-20) Would suit caradryn nicely
6 Dragon Princes (maybe multiple units)

Rare:
2 Eagles
2 RBT
I agree this seems the best set up

Using the above suggestions with a couple of mine a list like:

Lord:
none

Heroes:
Caradryn (With Phoenix Guard)
Noble - armour of caledor, great weapon (with spearmen)
2 level 2 mages (One with Ring of Fury and silver wand and one with a scroll and the seerstaff)

Core:
20 Spearmen
10 Archers

Special:
12 Swordmasters - fc
14 Phoenix Guard - fc, banner of sorcery
5 Dragon Princes - fc, MR 2 banner
5 Ellyrian Reavers

Rare:
1 Eagle
2 RBT

not sure on the points cost of the reavers but it should be within 10 points either way.

Onto your lists:

They all seem fairly alright tbh, I could see all of them winning with the right tactics, 4 eagles in the last list is too many though, I'd drop 2 for 100 points elsewhere (5 more white lions + Lion standard to make immune to fear/terror).
Lists 2 & 1 fine.

Brother Drakist
13-05-2008, 00:58
I would recommend going with the units you like the most. Me personally, I like the Phoenix Guard and Sword Masters. However you are going to need to protect those Swordmasters with magic or cover so that they actually make it to combat. If you are going with the Phoenix guard, I highly recommend sticking whatever flavor of BSB/Noble you can to add that extra needed killyness.

Sword masters I would go 12(2x6) or 14(2x7) per squad.

Phoenix Guard I would go with 18-19 per squad with Noble/BSB attached. Noble can be on steed(18) or on foot(19). Either way arm the Noble with a weapon that adds to their strength. This squad, with these numbers should provide a nice Anvil that is very capable of winning combat.

WhiteKnight
13-05-2008, 03:31
I tend to do a list of mostly infantry (I am making mostly cav and chariot lists) like having 2 units of 7-9 white lions, 1 unit of 14 swordmasters and for some more killiness, 10-15 phoenix guard. But if you want solid core, do something like this. I prefer this tactic as it actually allows you to get a bunch of attacks off and the ability to outnumber.

Spearmen (241)
- 24, full command
Spearmen (241)
- 24, full command

Or for some pain, get 28 and go 7x4.

Mages are definitely essential in High Elves so have at least 2 level 2's in 1500+ games.

For special choices, pick the units you like and play smart with them. I love Dragon Princes and lion chariots. They run around chasing infantry and demolishing them with wounds. 2 lion chariots can cause an average of 12 wounds on one unit. Dragon princes can cause an average of 4-6 wounds. Enough to win combat.

Rare choices are not hard to choose. I go for 2 eagles and 2 bolt throwers or in 3k games, 2 eagles, 3 bolt throwers. Here's my theory of high elf rare choices.

Bolt Throwers : Good for covering infantry and demolishing ogres, trolls, and the occassional cavalry units.

Eagles: Attack war machines, lone characters, and maybe even weak flyers like Fell Bats.

And you will most definitely fighting V counts so here's a tip, get the magic items talisman of saphery and ring of corin. Nullify the vampire magic items and it's game over. Have a mage take vaul's unmaking and dominate close combat.