PDA

View Full Version : Stand and shoot with light cavalry?

Urgat
08-05-2008, 10:22
Well, always wondered if this was allowed? I don't see why not, really, but I cannot find anything in the rulebook to support or deny this... so, can they? Is there a rule somewhere? If yes, where? Am I blind?

Arnizipal
08-05-2008, 10:24
Why wouldn't it be? All that is needed to stand and shoot is a model armed with a non-warmachine missile weapon.

And an enemy charge at said model within the model's LOS, of course. ;)

T10
08-05-2008, 11:03
The fast cavalry rules even describe how this works with regards to their 360-degree line of sight.

-T10

Faustburg
08-05-2008, 11:56
..which sort of made the Treeman FAQ a bit silly, but hey...

Atrahasis
08-05-2008, 12:03
Not really - fast cavalry WOULD be able to S&S to the rear if their rules didn't expressly forbid it. The treeman rules don't expressly forbid it, ergo they can S&S to the rear.

Urgat
08-05-2008, 12:24
The fast cavalry rules even describe how this works with regards to their 360-degree line of sight.

-T10

There it is, the line in the rules I was looking for. Thank you :)

The Red Scourge
08-05-2008, 12:32
But why do it?

The whole point of light cavalry is not to engage the enemy in CC, but run away, rally and shoot him again or set him up for a charge by harder units.

And again fast cavalry should be maneuverable enough to give you the charge, so they at least get the chance to strike first :)

Milgram
08-05-2008, 12:44
But why do it?

The whole point of light cavalry is not to engage the enemy in CC, but run away, rally and shoot him again.

uhm, 5 wolfriders get charged by 5 chaoshounds. why should you flee from a foe that will break even if 2:1 outnumbering?

The Red Scourge
08-05-2008, 14:58
uhm, 5 wolfriders get charged by 5 chaoshounds. why should you flee from a foe that will break even if 2:1 outnumbering?

Well then to disrupt your enemys plans. Those hounds will charge for a reason and they'll probably be within leadership range of the general, and why risk losing a turn of shooting and disruption with your wolfriders?

Unless of course it is the last turn, and the wolf riders won't have a chance to reform if the unlikely should happen.

EvC
08-05-2008, 15:17
Why would you lose a turn of shooting? You stand and shoot, kill 1-2, win combat, and run them down. Of course you have to judge every situation based on its own merits, but throwing a silly little unit of hounds after some Wolf Riders is a very sound use of them, if it keeps the Wolf Riders on the other side of the battlefield, unable to march block etc.

Urgat
08-05-2008, 16:21
Why? because the last time the question was raised, it was because my black knights charged a unit of pistolier who, if they had fled, would have left the battlefield anyway. So even if they were doomed, it was a sensible thing to do, I suppose.