PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed. TK vs WE. 4000pts

The Clairvoyant
08-05-2008, 11:18
Hello warseer peeps!

I have a game coming up soon where my tomb kings will be facing wood elves.

I've always had a hard time against WE, though i've only ever played them a couple of times and that was when using my vamps under 6th ed

One of the ideas i've had is to fight fire with fire and take a wood elf-looking TK army made up of lots of units of archers, 3 bone giants, a few scorpions and some ushabti.

Usually i take 2 HLPs (one on Casket), Khalida and a few liches to max out on bound items.

The problem i've found certainly with the vamps was my infantry blocks are just not mobile enough and they get shot whilst never actually getting into combat, except with treemen and treekin charging them, or those pesky wardancers.

I know i'll also need some support for the archers from the hawkriders he'll inevitably take.

So basically, i need a lot of help. I'm struggling to come up with a cohesive force that won't just be given the usual runaround.

Any and suggestions welcome so i can start writing a list.

Eigilb
08-05-2008, 16:40
2 ssc is a must to take down treemen (anchient) and treekin, and casket - ill always use it anyway. The casket is much more cost effective in bigger games like 4000pt.

Well... your archers are always good at killing his ashrai skimishers, but will do little damage against tree-spirits (dryads, treekin, and treemen)...

A chariot unit with Icon of the sacred Eye, and a prince with flail of skulls is an insane flanker against treekin, but watch this unit as it will be blown to pieces if you don't take care.

Use scorpions to hunt down his mages so his magic defence will be weakend, and drop down the amount of treesining. And the love of god - dont let him move the trees infront of your SSC's or casket.

IMO ushabties are a wate of points against WE, as they tend to be shot down, and 4t +5 save is not gonna keep them alive for long. - theyre too expensive.
I'm no fan of BG, but i'd imagine they would be shot down quickly aswell.

Erhm, i play WE regualy at 2250 pt and usually win, and uses these tactics.

I'd go with 2 HLP's and maxed out bound spells on the liches too.

Hope this helps :)

ThrowN
08-05-2008, 17:04
TG with Icon of Rakaph could be quite usefull, if you expect him to flank charge a lot...

The Clairvoyant
08-05-2008, 21:24
2 ssc is a must to take down treemen (anchient) and treekin, and casket - ill always use it anyway. The casket is much more cost effective in bigger games like 4000pt.

Well... your archers are always good at killing his ashrai skimishers, but will do little damage against tree-spirits (dryads, treekin, and treemen)...

A chariot unit with Icon of the sacred Eye, and a prince with flail of skulls is an insane flanker against treekin, but watch this unit as it will be blown to pieces if you don't take care.

Use scorpions to hunt down his mages so his magic defence will be weakend, and drop down the amount of treesining. And the love of god - dont let him move the trees infront of your SSC's or casket.

IMO ushabties are a wate of points against WE, as they tend to be shot down, and 4t +5 save is not gonna keep them alive for long. - theyre too expensive.
I'm no fan of BG, but i'd imagine they would be shot down quickly aswell.

Erhm, i play WE regualy at 2250 pt and usually win, and uses these tactics.

I'd go with 2 HLP's and maxed out bound spells on the liches too.

Hope this helps :)

That helps a lot, thanks!
The casket has never actually gone off in any game i've used it as my opponents always seem to buy extra dispel scrolls when i use my TKs! But the -1 to cast is still extremely useful and it does allow me to cast all manner of other spells while he saves the scrolls for the casket.

I've never had any success with bone giants either. They always seem great on paper and then i use them and they fail to hit with every attack!

So 2 x SSC + Casket will be in there. Maybe a BG if points allow, which they should now i won't be taking the Ushabti.

I'll make a list tomorrow and if you or anyone else could peruse it, i'd be very appreciative :)

Gerrok
09-05-2008, 03:02
I thought the bone giant would've been good against wood elves, since they need 6's to wound it with shooting, and it still has a great armor save (I want to say 3+). Since you can also heal it shooting against it is basically ineffective. Plus if it does manage to charge something, like lets say dryads, he can really wrack up the combat res.

The only way that I can really think of taking down a treeman is with something like the flail of skulls on a prince, or the SSC.

Eigilb
10-05-2008, 14:04
I thought the bone giant would've been good against wood elves, since they need 6's to wound it with shooting, and it still has a great armor save (I want to say 3+). Since you can also heal it shooting against it is basically ineffective. Plus if it does manage to charge something, like lets say dryads, he can really wrack up the combat res.

In a 4000pt game, you gotta expect your WE opponent to bring some nasty shooting lord, with no armoursave arrows. And Glade gaurds shoot at str4 at <15". IME, it get s shot down.

Please post your list once it's finished :)