PDA

View Full Version : Falling to Chaos (or any other army)...

Overt_Spy
08-05-2008, 19:41
So, I'm working on my High Elves right? They're an army I've had a soft spot for ever since I've been in the hobby. I love the "good" guys, and the High Elves have fit that role perfectly, ever since I saw the image of Aenerion charging against the keeper of secrets, I've been hooked on the pointy hats.

Anyways, I'm working towards 1,000 pts of them right now, it's the number I generally start with, it's a good base, and easy to expand to higher values. So I have about half the models of that army, and I've painted more than half of those. So basically, I feel like I'm doing pretty well with the progress of my Elfses...

Until recently. Yesterday, I was about one inch away from clicking on the little cart icon beneath the Daemons of Chaos book. Now I usually buy the new army books because I like to read them and look at the pretty art, so this I wasn't too worried about. Until looking down the Daemon store, I came upon a box of the new Bloodletters, and was about a centimeter away from clicking on the cart icon! I resisted, but throughout the day, whenever I was on my computer, I had this nagging desire to just go buy them. To be honest, I still do.

Why is this? Why do we always feel like buying something new? (be it the most recently released army or another army, like I also had a craving for skaven.) Is it something inherent in the hobby, or in us, the hobbyists? I just don't understand it. Sure I understand new things are nice, but when it comes to Warhammer, it's almost insatiable. Based on what I read on here too, it seems like a lot of people have many semi completed armies, on top of their main force, why is this so common? Anyone have thoughts?

I thought it may be because price, because as my dark side was justifying to me, the bloodletters are only $22, it's not that bad, but I have easily $100 + of Empire stuff that I probably won't get around to finishing or using. I am into street art/graffiti, but every time a new DVD or book or whatnot gets released, I don't struggle with buying it or not, so why do I struggle when it comes to miniature plastic monsters?? Why is this such a common phenomenon with this hobby??

soulcrusher
08-05-2008, 19:47
games workshop bring out new models for a certain number of reasons, one is that with newer and ' flashier ' models about players will want to buy them. gw often does alot of advertising towards new armies such as wd , webby , store events etc, this is all to do with their selling strategy . like on saturday when i go to buy another great cannon it will seem out of place as the shop will be full of little loaded kids spending their masses of pocket money on bloodletters etc

seriously i totally understand, im on my empre atm and the new daemons along with vc when they came out is so tempting

Putty
08-05-2008, 19:52
we are all slaves of the consumerist culture.

imho, i got over this "need" to buy "another" box of models simply because i have future mortgages to pay and the numbers that roll in my head with regards to the upcoming wedding really puts me off buying anything atm.

i gave myself the ultimatium of not buying anything untill all my black templars, woodelves and chaos models are painted to a consistent tabletop standard.

given that my woodelves are my 1st army, i have to go abouts repainting some of them.

atm, i have about 150 models that need to be painted and throw in another consistant stream of consignments i need to paint for other people... i do not see myself buying anything except the eventual army books / codex that is released.

ps: im trying extremely hard not to buy the LotR Balrog.... a Bret Green Knight and enuff Green Stuff to sculpt my 2nd Treeman.... but these things... I don't need. -_-"

soulcrusher
08-05-2008, 20:27
ive got over this ' need to buy models! ' addiction , very recently infact it was last saturday when i chose empire over daemons