PDA

View Full Version : Goblin ninja

Mozzamanx
08-05-2008, 18:41
Ello,

I pose you people a question- what's better than bringing down that 300+ lord, on his shiny dragon and with all his shiny dohickies? Doing it with a smelly Goblin, of course!

Now, I think I have a pretty good idea for this green rascal, but I'm not sure about the specifics, particularly his items. However, for leadership, and sheer style, its gotta be a common greeny rather than a night goblin. Basic plan is to torpedo him into the shiniest enemy model, pummel it badly, then possibly explode. Awesome.
All of them have a fairly basic foundation- Riding a wolf for the range, carrying the One hit Wunda for str 10 goodies, and wearing the Collar of Zorga so he can bitch slap dem dragons. However, we are left with 30pts and 5 equally tempting choices:

Iron Gnasha- Killing blow. Possibly overkill with str 10, but still good.
Kickin' Boots- An extra attack. With str 10, this is good.
Tricksy Trinket- No more ward saves for yoo! With str 10, thats no saves at all.
Brimstone Bauble- D6 str 6 hits on everything nearby when he dies. Even killing him won't save you.
Battle Brew- Potentially frenzied hatred, but also potentially stupid.

All of these run him at 82-97 pts, so he's no bank-breaker.
Which of these would you say is the best for effieciency?

Lordsaradain
08-05-2008, 18:53
With so few attacks and poor WS I think this fell will be all about gambling. Sure, you might get lucky and wound(maybe even kill) something, but most likely the gobbo is just gonna die horribly. So give him the brimstone bauble. ;)

minionboy
08-05-2008, 18:56
I have to say the Baubles, so long as you model him with a dynamite vest on. Something about a goblin on a wolf flying at my general full speed with a bomb strapped to him frightens me.

Alpha_Wolf
08-05-2008, 19:02
I voted bomb. The trinket doesn't sound to bad either but I think the bomb would be more fun and make for a much better model. It would add more to the greenskin humour as well.

Fredmans
08-05-2008, 19:20
I voted Gnashas, although I was thinking more in terms of "Ninja skillz" :p
When the Wollopa's gone, he can toss it and vulcan neck grip anything to death.

/Fredmans

Defender of Ulthuan
08-05-2008, 20:10
Go for the bomb, there is a good possibility he won't kill his intended victim completely, and I'm fairly certain he doesn't stand much of a chance starting at round 2.

"lol"

Just don't take the gnashas, with the zorga effect, he really isn't for little US2 or less characters.

Defender

anuburos
09-05-2008, 00:51
Just make sure to keep him near your general on the turn you want to charge. Failing a fear check is the worst way to go.

Maybe have an Orc on a wyvern near by for leadership and to bring more attention to your boss instead of the Gobbo bomber.... or better yet model the wyvern so it has gobbo bombs. Your character on the wolf could represent the bomb zooming towards him from 18" away!

Bretonnian Lord
09-05-2008, 00:57
Lol very cool idea! The Baubles sound like a good idea... although maybe replacing his str 10 sword with killing blow and trinket? Might stand a better chance of killing enemy lords with that set up... I'm no expert on goblins though, so w/e

TheDarkDuke
09-05-2008, 02:25
id say the baubles as well. since most of the dragons you will face will be high elves and since the elf strikes first your character will probably die pretty quickly. it just gives you some insurance that this one hit wonder will actually do something even if he doesnlt attack.

soots
09-05-2008, 04:25
Just make sure to keep him near your general on the turn you want to charge. Failing a fear check is the worst way to go.

Maybe have an Orc on a wyvern near by for leadership and to bring more attention to your boss instead of the Gobbo bomber.... or better yet model the wyvern so it has gobbo bombs. Your character on the wolf could represent the bomb zooming towards him from 18" away!

Hes got >50pts magic items. Chances are he IS the general lol

Mozzamanx
09-05-2008, 06:13
Hmm, the baubles are ahead by a mile...
Cheers for the input so far guys!

@Bretonnian Lord: Can't, all of the items of the list are Enchanted, so 1 choice per character.

@soots: Nope, he's a hero! Note the pricetag :D

Mike KK
09-05-2008, 07:18
a kamikaze goblin is an awesome idea, especially vs dragons and the like

nikkcookie
09-05-2008, 07:29
just remember most of the dragons i believe ur talking about would be the high elves...and the lord ASF so take the bomb and run him in ull probly die b4 u can strike.

Brimstone
09-05-2008, 08:54
just remember most of the dragons i believe ur talking about would be the high elves...and the lord ASF so take the bomb and run him in ull probly die b4 u can strike.

How much extra effort does it involve to type you're instead of 'ur' or before rather than b4?

Not that much and it also avoids confusing others.

Please avoid 'txt speak' in the future.

The Warseer Inquisition

nikkcookie
09-05-2008, 12:04
ok if txt speak is going to ruin warseer i wont do it again.......... im pretty sure u can figure out b4 = before unless of course ur 83 y.o brimstone....

Braad
09-05-2008, 12:47
There are plenty here that don't have english as there native language, so yes, it is bound to be confusing to them.

@ Soots, no he doesn't have more than 50 pts. The weapon is only 15, the collar is 5 so he has 30 points left to fill up to 50.

For some reason, suddenly a cool conversion came to mind. Take one of the bomb-squigs from the 40K range (the one with the dynamite), mount a night gobbo on it, and give him the brimstone bauble. Also add the one hit wunda and the collar, and you're all set for some destructivity...
The squig allows charges through woods to sneak up to big beasties, so that's cool.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/orks/catalog/tankbustas.htm

bodis
09-05-2008, 13:42
ok if txt speak is going to ruin warseer i wont do it again.......... im pretty sure u can figure out b4 = before unless of course ur 83 y.o brimstone....

Uhm it's really more a question of having a clean forum with some standard concerning how people type. Using 'txt speak' looks sloppy, gives a rather unintelligent appearance and is generally annoying. Reserve that way of typing for World of Warcraft servers and/or pre-teen community sites please :).

isidril93
09-05-2008, 13:48
use the bombs
chances are that you will die
and even if ou do attack back...doubt it...you only have 4 attacks (five if you take the boots instead) and you opponent will have 9 wounds...10 if it is a high elf dragon

Mercules
09-05-2008, 14:46

Oh, we can figure it out, we just don't want to. There are also policies in effect that ask that you not post in such a manner. Hopefully you read the rules for this forum before posting, but then again you can't be bothered to type out "before" so maybe not.

Back on topic:
I like the Brimstone Bauble. D6 Str 6 hits are nothing to sneeze at.

I had someone throw a One Hit Wunda armed goblin at my Tyrant. He just about killed him. If he had the Bauble there is a good chance he would have when I squashed him.

Brimstone
09-05-2008, 14:54

Of course I can figure it out but as others have already pointed out

A) It can be confusing for those whose first language is not English.
B) It's against our posting guidelines.
C) We are not a realtime forum it doesn't take much more effort to make a few extra key strokes and makes your point far better.

Edit - And when I said cut it out I meant it.

Coenono
09-05-2008, 15:14
What about putting him on a wolf chariot w/ the trinket.
Impact hits strike 1st with no ward save. If takeing on elves best to go after the dragon mage. But if he only has the dragon lord at the very worst he his going to be sore and will think twice about chargeing into your units.

Hes a little more expensive but still a good 4th the price of a Dragonlord.

anuburos
09-05-2008, 15:48
True, chariots have a great potential of destruction, but I've learned that characters in wolf chariots tend to scream... "Look at me in my 18" charge range of death that's held together by masking tape!" Your gonna attract lots of bow fire. If you think you can pull it off, do it, but in my experience my gobbo characters in chariots have shorter lifespans than most other gobbos.

Mozzamanx
09-05-2008, 15:56
While the chariot is a nice touch, it pushes him to 152pts. Thats almost the same price as a lord, for a one shot trick. The whole point of this is to keep him efficient.

Still, nice idea.

Punk_in_Drublic
09-05-2008, 17:31
I'm sure this configuration is old news, but I really really favour a common goblin lord with the screaming sword (+1 str, +1 a per enemy character within 12"), the trinket (no ward save for enemy) and Amulet of protectyness (Goblin saves on enemy's armour and ward save). It works wonders on tooled up enemy characters.

Laters,

-Punk

Coenono
09-05-2008, 20:07
I like your idea punk. Think that would work great in all night gobo army.

Im still ummm... green when it comes to O&G but wouldnt the best way to deal with a dragon character be Bolt Throwers(what list dosent have at least 2 of these) and maybe a unit of archers, maybe throw in a fanatic for good measure? Whats 21 gobos with bows come to 90 pts? And you proably already have a the bolt throwers.

Why tool up a throw away character when you can use his leadership in a unit?

Guess this defeats the point of the thread.. sorry if ive offened anyone.

Mozzamanx
09-05-2008, 21:47
Cos its still pathetic leadership :D

Seriously, its like upgrading poo into mud- yea its better, but its still bad. Plus, this is just a hero, meaning your big scary Orc Boss can give a much more respectable Ld 9 to everything nearby.
Plus, he's hardly tooled up when hes still in double-digit for cost.

Milamber
09-05-2008, 23:25
And a goblin missile is just far too cool to pass up. So much in character with the army, IMO.

Mercules
10-05-2008, 04:46
I like your idea punk. Think that would work great in all night gobo army.

Im still ummm... green when it comes to O&G but wouldnt the best way to deal with a dragon character be Bolt Throwers(what list dosent have at least 2 of these) and maybe a unit of archers, maybe throw in a fanatic for good measure? Whats 21 gobos with bows come to 90 pts? And you proably already have a the bolt throwers.

Why tool up a throw away character when you can use his leadership in a unit?

Guess this defeats the point of the thread.. sorry if ive offened anyone.

Bolt throwers don't work on things like Characters hiding in a block of infantry where they get a "Look out Sir!" roll. Run the Goblin up to the unit and hopefully take out the character on the charge.

redrum
10-05-2008, 06:44
How much extra effort does it involve to type you're instead of 'ur' or before rather than b4?

Not that much and it also avoids confusing others.

Please avoid 'txt speak' in the future.

The Warseer Inquisition

You're my hero Brimstone. Seriously.

God I hate net speak.

Braad
10-05-2008, 18:06
You're my hero Brimstone. Seriously.

God I hate net speak.

Now you might understand why Brimstone has got his own bauble in the new O&G book :p

jpf1982
18-05-2008, 13:56
This is a combo I used in a game. I've only used it once, not often enough to call it useful or give a good voice on it's general success but for me it was fantastic.

Goblin Big Boss with Wollupa's, Kickin Boots, on a chariot. 144 points.

Didn't even take the zorga; used it's 5 points to buy another goblin elsewhere.
2nd turn the goblin charged a dwarven cannon. Killed it with impact/attacks. 3rd turn; now behind enemy dwarf lines turned for the flank through. 4th turn charged an organ gun and killed it with impact/attacks. Overran through into 10 long beards flank. Turn 5 I count as charging for pursuit into fresh troops rule. Now with ST 10 attacks I slag some serious dwarf long beards. They break; I chase them down but also end up running off the table. Come back on in Turn 6, but at that point dwarf player now sick of him uses anvil and smashes my tiny skull apart. So in the end I killed about 380 points worth of stuff with a guy that cost half that. No I didn't assassinate any characters but I certainly can't deny that little dude was easy MVP of the game. It's worth noting that charging the cannons made a huge difference. He had a ton of hand gunners but cannons can't stand and shoot. :p

Urgat
18-05-2008, 14:32
True, chariots have a great potential of destruction, but I've learned that characters in wolf chariots tend to scream... "Look at me in my 18" charge range of death that's held together by masking tape!" Your gonna attract lots of bow fire. If you think you can pull it off, do it, but in my experience my gobbo characters in chariots have shorter lifespans than most other gobbos.

There's another problem with the chariot idea, I know, I've tried it. The guy in front of you sees your charriot chargibng, with the lone goblin character. Since he knows what he's doing, even if he doesn't know squat about O&G magic items, he will get that's there's a catch. Maybe that gob as a nasty thing, maybe he's coverd with saves or something. So what the guy does (assuming he can fight back)? He hits the charriot. Not hard to kill, a charriot, no nasty item bound to it. Usually, nasty magic items are useless when you flee. So your gob breaks, and flees. The brimstone bables won't go off. And the guy is safe ><. So a wolf is better, the gy has to actually hit the goblin, and has a good chance of killing him, and set off the bables.

jpf1982
22-05-2008, 07:22
As if to prove my point about guy on chariot I played a buddies VC tonight.

Goblin Big Boss with one hit wunda, guzzla's battle brew ended up with frenzy, hatred and killed his general on turn 2. Huge impact on the game; not to mention for 144 points he killed a 400+ point character. Needless to say my opponent was discouraged.

Cortomaltese
22-05-2008, 10:20
coenono's idea is quite effective, but i think it's for a different use:

a goblin hero on chariot, with Wollopa's and Trinket is better against units with Ward Safe such as demons and so on.. as a single hero catcher i fear opponent will understand your plan and take some counteract..

for a ninja or a missile (i like the idea!) i suggest wollopa's (which means 1-2 wounds on charge) and bombs, which easily will kill the hero after your so-certain death..

Grey Seer Skretch
22-05-2008, 12:14
Cos its still pathetic leadership :D

Seriously, its like upgrading poo into mud- yea its better, but its still bad. Plus, this is just a hero, meaning your big scary Orc Boss can give a much more respectable Ld 9 to everything nearby.
Plus, he's hardly tooled up when hes still in double-digit for cost.

AHAHAHAHAAA!!! UPGRADING POO INTO MUD!! YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MAN!!! I love it :D

Seriously though, its all about the bauble, or even better, vary it. Oooh, do I got it, do I don't, is you going to cause me to go THWAKOOM upside your head if you hit me with a stick or not...? What larks!

Defender of Ulthuan
23-05-2008, 14:24
Just make sure to give him a 5-man wolfguard (without shields to retain fast cavalry) so he survives 1 round of shooting.

Defender