PDA

View Full Version : VC Forbidden Lore Question

Pantsless
08-05-2008, 23:52
My question is where do your spells go, when using the Forbidden Lore.

So the VC book says, " In addition to Invocation of Nehek the Vampire knows all of the spells from either the lore of the Vampires or any one of the lores of magic in the warhammer rulebook."

So you're getting all the spells from either lore, thats obvious... But what about your other spells from being a wizard? IE, if you're a level 4 wizard, you get 4 spells. Do you get to chose those extra spells from the Vampire magic? Or are they just lost altogether. It doesn't say you DON'T get those spells, so whats up?

SuperBeast
09-05-2008, 00:04
You pick your colour or vampire lore, and know all the spells from that, including IoN.

The point of this gift is that you don't have to roll for spells, because you know all of them.

You don't get additional spells.

Lord_Squinty
09-05-2008, 06:36
Agreed, you swap rolling the four spells to automaticly know all 6.

Nurgling Chieftain
09-05-2008, 07:10
RaI, I emphatically agree with everyone else. Nonetheless, I have to say that by RaW it looks like you get your normal spells in addition simply because (A) page 39 says you do and (B) Forbidden Lore fails to say you don't. Good catch. This should definitely be FAQ'd.

slasher
09-05-2008, 08:17
Except that the BRB states that wizards chose the spells from ONE lore, (there are exceptions to this such as the Slann but that is explicitly said in their AB entries)

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-05-2008, 09:02
This should definitely be FAQ'd.

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean it warrents a FAQ, remember, the F stands for Frequently, and I don't really think this is a frequent question.

Jedi152
09-05-2008, 10:19
As usual, this 'FAQ' represents people deliberately misinterpreting the rules to gain an advantage.

Forbidden Lore says "In addition to Invocation of Nehek the Vampire knows all of the spells from either the lore of the Vampires or any one of the lores of magic in the warhammer rulebook (except the lore of life)."

It makes it obvious that you get IoN and all the spells of your chosen lore. No more. If you're arguing that it doesn't say you don't get the original 4 spells, you're missing the intention.

Nurgling Chieftain
09-05-2008, 18:36
I'd far rather see an FAQ with answers to difficult questions - ones where people appeal to intent or invoke Easter-egg hunts - than an FAQ with answers to questions which are asked frequently but easily answered by simply reading the rule in question.

Lordmonkey
10-05-2008, 03:18
It doesn't say you DON'T get those spells, so whats up?

It doesn't say that Steam Tanks DON'T have flying...

Jedi152
10-05-2008, 11:14
Exactly. It doesn't say that chaos warriors don't shoot lasers from their eyes. Doesn't mean they do.

I'd far rather see an FAQ with answers to difficult questions - ones where people appeal to intent or invoke Easter-egg hunts - than an FAQ with answers to questions which are asked frequently but easily answered by simply reading the rule in question.
Again, agreed. I can't believe they had to FAQ that grave guard great weapons are 1 pt. each, not 1 pt. for the entire unit.

As i explained - the intent is obvious, the FAQ has to be used to stop people deliberately misreading and exploiting RAW to gain an advantage.

Lordmonkey
10-05-2008, 12:59
Exactly. It doesn't say that chaos warriors don't shoot lasers from their eyes. Doesn't mean they do.

Mine do :p

the_raptor
10-05-2008, 18:19
It doesn't say that Steam Tanks DON'T have flying...

But it does say Vampire characters dice for spells from the Lore of Vampires.

But still I don't see how that can be spun to give Vamps with forbidden lore extra spells. The text of Forbidden lore is fairly explicit as far as I am concerned (ie it overrides the normal rules for vamp magic).

wibble
10-05-2008, 19:46
Also, it would create 2 completely different versions of Forbidden Lore. If you choose all the Vampire spells, then the rolled spells are pointless. If you choose a different lore then it would be of benefit. but the difference between these two options would merit a difference in points cost. But it's all as one item so i think we can presume you don't get the extra spells.

WusteGeist
12-05-2008, 06:02
If not for the way the original question was posted, I would almost say it was some one trying to exploit a rules hole when none should have existed. The blood line power and the rule book both cover how magic and the two mix fairly well. So suggesting that you should get all the spells plus your level in another college is what I would call, wanton cheating. Or to be more pc attempting to cheat via a conduct of creative yet faulty logic.

Mike KK
12-05-2008, 08:48
this is deliberately misinterpreting the rules, as if knowing all the vampire spells isn't enough you're looking for an easter egg which isn't there