PDA

View Full Version : When does the destruction of catching fleeing units take place?

bluekitsune13
09-05-2008, 02:51
So, in my last game the other night, this question popped up. We had a setup like this:

Enemy Infantry

Enemy Chariot
My Infantry

So, his chariot charged my infantry models, and he had some of his infantry right behind them. Now then, I ended up breaking his chariot, so it would flee away into his infantry. He rolled the flee roll of 3d6, and I rolled my 2d6 for the pursue. He rolled very low on his flee roll, and I rolled high on mine. So, had his other enemy infantry not been in the way, I would have caught him. Here's the dilemma though.

When does the actual "destruction" of the broken unit take place? The reason I'm wondering about it is because I think that the chariot should have fled through his friendly infantry (causing impact hits and such). However, if it wasn't a chariot, I would say that the broken unit would move their flee distance through the allied unit and not be destroyed. The unit that broke them would run into the other enemy unit instead. That's because I think the actual "destruction" comes at the end. So if they fled 5 inches, and I matched that on my pursue roll, then once I moved my guys 5 inches the enemy would be destroyed. My opponent thought that as long as you beat their flee roll with your pursue roll, they would be automatically destroyed, even if there was an enemy in the way.

Please tell me if I'm reasoning this wrong. I remember a passage in the rulebook about pursuit into a "fresh enemy," but I can't remember that context.

ehlijen
09-05-2008, 03:17
When breaking from combat, fleeing units are killed instantly before any flee moves if any pursuing opponent rolls higher on the distance. So the chariot would not have fled through the other unit before being destroyed.

When fleeing from a charge it is different: First the fleeing unit flees (through units if necessary) then the charger sees how far he gets: If he can reach the fleeing unit, he destroys it when he reaches it. If he could reach it but there's an enemy in the way, he can declare a new charge against them. If he does not have enough movement to catch the fleeing unit (regarless of enemy units in the way)now, he moves as with a failed charge instead (which might still be enough to get into an intervening enemy unit, in which case again, new charge happens).

WLBjork
09-05-2008, 04:36
Think of the flee and pursue rolls as also being the reaction rolls.

Whoever rolls highest moves first.

bluekitsune13
09-05-2008, 11:02
All right, thanks. It makes sense now. Thanks for the quick replies!