PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Army

mulchie
18-10-2005, 05:00
I want to create a tournament army. i am thinking either chaos or empire.
any one have ideas....

mulchie.

Trunks
18-10-2005, 05:11
Yes.

Have some sort of core choice and some character choice in it.

(i.e., could you have been a little more vague?)

What kind of Chaos or what kind of Empire?

Magic heavy?

Shooty?

High on maneuvering?

Maelstrom
19-10-2005, 10:45
It also depends on how dark your soul is. Skaven SAD is a fantastic torunament army but you will have no friends and will ruin 6 peoples weekend. That aside skaven can be a perfectly good torunament army without going over the top. By general concensus the top 5 torunament armies are (in no particular order):

Lizards
Skaven
VC
Brets
Daemonic legion

I can't be bothered to give a run throug of all of them but say which one peaks your interest and i'd be happy to help.

mulchie
20-10-2005, 01:29
Personally i think i might give chaos a miss.
Empire army basically i am think of having plenty of state troops with a fair bit of missile troops (2 handgunners units of ten, unit of huntsmen, mortar and helblaster volly gun) greatsword are a must i am thinking, as well as a good block of spearmen... i am also going to take two units of knights, one white wolf.

i am also think brets at the moment, basically tons of knights and a couple of units of peasants

Advice. sorry if i was vague i was in a hurry when i wrote the message.

mulchie

Maelstrom
20-10-2005, 05:06
Well don't take spearmen, or halbadiers. Brets are a brutal army, I love pesants and I think they are great troops but knights are just a better alternative so in a compedetive tournament list you generally don't see many of them.

fubukii
20-10-2005, 06:11
got to love the all necro count list :)

mulchie
21-10-2005, 01:18
just out of curiousity what can the battle pilgrims do?

what units would it be worth while to take in a bret army?

mulchie

Maelstrom
21-10-2005, 03:56
In a torunament army they have no place. I think they are really cool though?

ironduke
21-10-2005, 12:38
The grail pilgrims are stubborn but don't take them to a toruney because they are just peasants that refuse to run for a couple of turns before somebody kills them all.

Chaos or Empire well Empire unless you go the route of heavy magic and shooting your on to a no win situation at the bottom tables. Chaos is too vague you need a general idea of what you want in the army cause its a jack of all trades list unless you go for daemonic legions which from my experience earns you little friends and much ire. Especially the Tzeentch list. What do you want the tournament army for too "win in expense of having fun" or "to have fun at the expense of coming near the top" Your choice not ours mate

Hywel
22-10-2005, 00:07
In my experience the best empire army uses combined arms to achieve a result greater than the sum of its parts.

A solid unit of swordsmen with the griffon banner and a detachment with the elector count and a BSB in another state regiment that takes a less 'main unit role.

Then two cannons, helblaster and a handgunner regiment for missile fire, pistoliers and a knight unit or two for impact and then whatever you like. Makes a very flexible and very effective force, if a little predictable - you have to supply the unpredictability.

Maelstrom
22-10-2005, 06:01
Well Wellington (Ironduke), I think it is really quite possible to win tournaments while still having fun, it just depends if you want your opponent to have any fun! Kidding aside you don't have to go OTT to win torunaments.

brother-marine
23-10-2005, 22:12
Any army has the ability to beat any army in my experience so it doesn't all rely upon army selection but, obvioulsy you stand more of a chance if you guess right. I will be entering the grand tournament next year hopefully so i am in exactly the same position as you apart from i'm taking tomb kings or ogre kingdoms. Well good luck with that anyway and inform me or your army selection i would like to hear it.

mulchie
24-10-2005, 04:16
Well after a couple of days of creating army lists for empire this is what i am thinking. (note this is a rough list and pts may not be under 2000)

Count on griffon
Priest of ulric
priest of ulric on barded warhorse
captain

19 swordsmen with full command and griffon banner and captain
detachments of 10 free company and 8 handgunners
24 spearmen with banner (include the priest on foot)
20 free companies
10 huntsmen
10 handgunners

8 knights of the white wolf with full command and banner of ulric (inner circle)
8 knights with full command

12 greatswords

mortar

and if i have the points a helblaster

mulchie

mulchie
24-10-2005, 04:27
Well after a couple of days of creating army lists for empire this is what i am thinking. (note this is a rough list and pts may not be under 2000)

Count on griffon
Priest of ulric
priest of ulric on barded warhorse
captain

19 swordsmen with full command and griffon banner and captain
detachments of 10 free company and 8 handgunners
24 spearmen with banner (include the priest on foot)
20 free companies
10 huntsmen
10 handgunners

8 knights of the white wolf with full command and banner of ulric (inner circle)
8 knights with full command

12 greatswords

mortar

and if i have the points a helblaster

mulchie

User Name
24-10-2005, 05:26
beef up the swarsmen to 25, you want to keep that rank bonus for as long as possable

Patriarch of Sigmar
24-10-2005, 05:45
If that's the kind of empire army you want, take a look at the Cult of Ulric. You'l find some great advantages with it, especially lower points costs for troops and some magic bonuses. You'll have to drop the handgunners and the griffon and swap the greatswords for Teutogen Guard, but I think that you'll find it worth it. You also can add hunting hounds, which are cheap fast cavalry that can run through woods with no penalty. Take a look.

mulchie
25-10-2005, 05:38
Well my empire army at the moment is painted in the colours of middenhiem and middenland.

and you can take greatswords in an army of middenland list. (soc armybook list)

but the teutogen guard are a better option then the greatswords but i love the greatsword models.

hunting hounds are cheap but i don't know how many points i will have for them if i want to include the those infantry units.

i was always aiming for doing Army of Middenland

mulchie
25-10-2005, 05:50
Well my empire army at the moment is painted in the colours of middenhiem and middenland.

and you can take greatswords in an army of middenland list. (soc armybook list)

but the teutogen guard are a better option then the greatswords but i love the greatsword models.

hunting hounds are cheap but i don't know how many points i will have for them if i want to include the those infantry units.

i was always aiming for doing Army of Middenland