PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts HE vs VC

marv335
09-05-2008, 19:44
I was in the shop painting today when the Manager asked me if I'd mind giving a guy a battle.
I didn't have my army with me (just a unit of archers and a couple of heros I was painting) but I had the Idea of using the shop army, just so the guy could get a game.

I couldn't use my usual army as I only had what was available in the shop case, so no Lord on horse or dragon, or cavalry or eagles.
I didn't have any lion chariots or white lions either.

He had (as best as I can remember)
Mounted Vampire Lord (Lvl 4)
Mounted Wight King BSB (banner of barrows)
Vampire (Lvl 2)
Necromancer

Unit 20 skeletons
Unit 20 skeletons
unit 5 Black Knights

Unit 8 Cairn Wraiths with Banshee

Vargulf

I had

Archmage (Lvl 4) RIng of fury, Seerstaff, Dispel scroll [Phoenix Guard]
Noble, Great weapon, Dragon Armour, Reaver Bow [Spearmen]
Dragonmage (Lvl 2) Guardian Phoenix, Silver wand

Unit 19 Spearmen (Full Command)
Unit 10 Archers

Unit 15 Swordmasters (full command) Lion standard
Unit 15 Phoenix Guard (full command) Banner of Sorcery

Repeater Boltthrower
Repeater Boltthrower

The Table.

One side of the table had a hill in the deployment zone on the left flank and a rocky outcrop. the other Deployment zone had a wood on the left flank and a hill on the right just out of the zone. between the two hills in roughly the centre was a ruined temple.

VC player wins the roll off for sides and places his first unit (skeletons) in the center of the deployment zone with the hill and rocks
The other unit goes beside it, and next to that, the veargulf. Cairn wraiths go on the hill. Vampire in the first unit, necromancer in the second, Black knights go on the other side of the rocks with the lord and WK in the unit.

I place my spearmen beside the woods, then the PG, an RBT, and the Swordmasters. the dragon is behind the woods, and the othe RBT on my left flank between the wood and the table edge (opposite the BK ;))

I win the roll for 1st turn.

Turn one
DM moves forward as do everybody else. archers move onto the hill.
I cast a firey blast and a fireball at the black knights and turns on his flaming sword, killing two.
archmage kills a bunch of skeletons with RoF and other magid (he has spells from lore of light)
shooting takes out another knight and takes a wound off the vargulf
plus a few skeletons.

VC player moves forward Amazingly the knights don't charge my dragon mage, instead moving into a position for a charge against my spearmen.
Vargulf moves forward, charging into my PG, CW march into the ruined temple.
the VC raises a unit of 12 zombies in the flank of the PG, everything else gets shut down.
vargulf kills two PG, losing combat by one.

Turn 2
Dragon moves into the flank of the skeletons, spearmen wheel round to face the BK, SM charge the necromancers unit.
magic does nothing much except the Archmage casts blinding light on the vargulf (reducing it to Ws 1). Zombie unit gets shot to bits, cairn wraiths too, reduced to the banshee and a couple of wraiths.
The bolttrower on the left flank is perfectly lined up on the flank of the BK unit.
I roll to hit......
Hit!
Roll to wound the Vampire Lord..
Wound!
He fails his ward and so I roll for wounds...
A 5, three wounds! Bye bye VC General :skull:
THe bolt continues through the unit, killing the remaining knight and the BSB

The PG kill the vargulf, wounding it twice in combat then taking it the rest of the way with combat res. the swordmasters take out the necromancer and a skeleton, but taking a wound in return. They win combat though.
The undead army start to crumble.
Things are not looking good for the VC army

Crumbling continues...
no magic from the VC, I dispell everything that works. swordmasters kill the remaining skellies.

Turn three
dragon mage charges into back of the other skellie unit. vampire challenges, mage accepts, wins combat by one.

More crumbling in the VC turn, DM finishes off the final vampire and his skeletons.
Game Over.

Not my best game, It went a bit one sided. the turning point was the general dieing on turn 2 from a lucky shot. Just shows what a moments inattention in the movement phase can do.
I was just very lucky with that shot.

Draconian77
10-05-2008, 02:09
He, not much of a batrep when its over by turn 3(Against VC's no less) but still thanks for taking the time to put it up. I'm assuming the Dragon mage was taken because you needed the pts. I have heard nothing but bad things about this units rules since it was released.

marv335
10-05-2008, 08:23
I took the dragon mage because;
I like the model
He's a powerful spellcaster
Lore of fire is handy against units with the regenerate rule
I like the model ;)

I don't see the problem with a dragonmage, with the Guardian phoenix to protect him and the silver wand to boost his abilities (I usually throw out 3 spells a turn with him using six power dice. The extra free dice per spell is very handy)
I tend to ignore net opinions on what units will be best, and use what I please.
so far I've been very successful :D

SevenSins
10-05-2008, 09:57
nice going, and I think the fastest loss for vc I've seen so far (with the new vc that is)

Also enjoy your reaons for taking a DM :)

Zikan
12-05-2008, 03:15
I have absolutely no idea why the VC didn't take any dire wolves/corpse carts/ghouls. I find these (at least one of) units to be a cornerstone of any game i've played. And why he threw his varghulf at a fully ranked unit (with a 4+ ward no less) is beyond me. Anyway, thanks for the batrep albeit short one, and hope for more of a game in the future. :)

marv335
12-05-2008, 07:37
the vargulf went after the Phoenix guard because they had a Lvl 4 mage in in the unit, he was trying to take down my magical defence.

Kerill
12-05-2008, 09:13
Did he have less than five black knights when the bolt thrower hit the unit?

marv335
12-05-2008, 10:37
yes.
At that point the unit was (in order of the bolt moving through the unit) Vampire lord, Black knight standard bearer, Wight king BSB. three models in the unit, two of them characters.

Malorian
12-05-2008, 13:47
Wow, when I saw the lists I thought you were in trouble. 8 wraiths!!! Yikes!!!

But you did the right thing, go after the general.

Good report.

Manflayer
12-05-2008, 18:07
I'm assuming the Dragon mage was taken because you needed the pts. I have heard nothing but bad things about this units rules since it was released.

It shines quite well in 1500 points but anything from 2k onwards is uphill struggle.

Odd battle report but still good quick read :) thanks for taking time to write it up. Oh and the Vampire count player only has 2 core, when he should of had 3 to be legal list.

marv335
13-05-2008, 07:08
I thought Black knights were core?

McBaine
13-05-2008, 10:32
I thought Black knights were core?
lol, no. As VC player I would love it, but they're special. On a side note :

magic does nothing much except the Archmage casts blinding light on the vargulf (reducing it to WS 1). Zombie unit gets shot to bits, cairn wraiths too, reduced to the banshee and a couple of wraiths.
When the magic does nothing, what exactly shot the Wraiths to bits ?! Even with the Reaver bow you can kill one wraith max (each has 2 wounds and bow has 3 shots). The nonmagical shooting can do jack about etherals. did I miss something or was the shot to bits thing a bit exaggerated ?

marv335
13-05-2008, 11:14
Whoops, The ring of fury took out the cairn wraiths. the VC player rolled a 1 to dispel it, I rolled 11 hits :D

McBaine
13-05-2008, 12:24
Whoops, The ring of fury took out the cairn wraiths. the VC player rolled a 1 to dispel it, I rolled 11 hits
Now thats what I call shot to bits !! ;D

EvC
13-05-2008, 12:38
...but not what we'd call "magic does nothing much" ;)

marv335
13-05-2008, 13:22
I did that in the magic phase just before I shot the Vampire Lord with the bolt.
Bad turn all round for the VC player.

marv335
13-05-2008, 13:24
...but not what we'd call "magic does nothing much" ;)

well, the dragonmage either failed to cast or was dispelled, and the archmage only got one spell off.
out of seven spells and a bound item I got one spell and the bound Item
:D

g0ddy
16-05-2008, 23:11
pretty decisive bound item that kills 400+ points of models... ;)

~ zilla

Teran
16-05-2008, 23:18
Whoops, The ring of fury took out the cairn wraiths. the VC player rolled a 1 to dispel it, I rolled 11 hits :D

Haha well until you mentioned that I was under the impression an injustice might have occured... well an injustice did occur but a legal one at least ;)

marv335
16-05-2008, 23:27
The VC player was using the CW/banshee for the scream ability. he camped up in the ruins and looked like he was going to stay there. the CW were just ablative wounds for the Banshee.
Not how I would have used them, but it was his battle plan, and as napoleon once said, "never interrupt your enemys mistakes"

Dark_Mage99
16-05-2008, 23:27
Nice work.. it's good to see the dragon mage in action, it really is a powerful spellcaster and can often put level 4 mages to shame.

Teran
17-05-2008, 00:11
The VC player was using the CW/banshee for the scream ability. he camped up in the ruins and looked like he was going to stay there. the CW were just ablative wounds for the Banshee.
Not how I would have used them, but it was his battle plan, and as napoleon once said, "never interrupt your enemys mistakes"

I thought the scream only had an 8" range...