PDA

View Full Version : The point of MK VIII Armour....?

Marsekay
21-04-2005, 08:51
I just read somewhere that the high chestplate is there to protect the progenoid glands.

Anyone else read this? possible truth? or ramblings of an insane mind?

Khaine's Messenger
21-04-2005, 09:10
It's there to prevent ricochets off the chest plate from going into the neck. It's not really there for the progenoids, just that taking a hit in the neck is generally bad news. Mark VIII armor also has extra armor plating over the lower abdomen, hiding the cables that are left exposed in other marks of power armor.

charlie_c67
21-04-2005, 10:13
Yup agree with all that, just don't understand why you don't see many models sporting it. Or is it still with the Mentors ;)

McMullet
21-04-2005, 10:28
I guess because it's brand new. In the 41st millenium, you don't replace things like old armour until they get destroyed. All the new armour acquired by chapters will be Mk VIII I presume.

Rich
21-04-2005, 10:31
The technology probably takes a while to be widely disseminated - there is also the way in which marines believe their armour has spirit, and would not discard it unnecessarily. I expect t is the case that new chapters would be equipped entirely with the new models of armour, wheras older chapters would replace theirs only slowly (hence why the mentors all have it!).

Brother Othorio
21-04-2005, 17:50
also remember the existing fluff is that not all chapters chose to upgrade from mk6 to mk7 armour, so not all would choose to upgrade to mk8 either

of course the old armour fluff almost entirely went out the window with the 3rd edition plastics:
mk5-8 in one squad, the mk6 sporting the mk7's "iconic" chestplate whilst none of the mk7's do, the mk8 lacking its neck ring but the mk7 sergeants body getting one.. (mind you its nowhere near as bad as the chaos box, mk 2, 4 and 6 bodies all with mk5 helmets..)

inquisitorautry
22-04-2005, 00:50
It's not all that strange for chest plates and helmets of different marks to exist in the same suit of armor. If a suit of power armor's helmet is lost/destroyed it's going to be replaced with what's available, which is not necessarily the original mark of the armor.

Brother Othorio
22-04-2005, 02:04
It's not all that strange for chest plates and helmets of different marks to exist in the same suit of armor. If a suit of power armor's helmet is lost/destroyed it's going to be replaced with what's available, which is not necessarily the original mark of the armor.

indeed, but it is a wee bit odd that they should ALL have helmets from a mark of armour other than the one they are wearing.. (i suppose i could be argued that their helmets are mk7 and that they have salvaged them since the heresy, but that raises the ugly question of how come they havent managed to salvage things like Multi-Melta's and Plasmacannons and Assault Cannons..)

charlie_c67
22-04-2005, 10:34
Err I assume your talking about CSM's here. If that's the case then they don't have them because they can't deal with the technology. They use Mk1 plasma guns and pistols which are even more tempremental than there imperial countaparts (at least they used to be) and they don't have the resources or ability to look after assault cannons, hence why they have reaper autocannons.

Rich
22-04-2005, 11:37

In fluff terms, it seems that marine's helmets are quite often irreparably damaged and discarded. I would imagine that they would as you say be replaced with the latest mark of armour design, rather than an older model.

Brother Othorio
22-04-2005, 16:01
Err I assume your talking about CSM's here. If that's the case then they don't have them because they can't deal with the technology. ah but they can deal with the technology, after all they can maintain their dreadnought mounted Multi-Melta's and Plasmacannons, actually, wasnt the fluff about Mk1 plasma weaponry that the CSM's had actually chosen to continue using it because they considered the possibility of catastrophic malfunction to be an acceptable trade off for the increased recharge rate, rather than that they just couldnt maintain safer but less useful later imperial plasma weaponry?

oh and i actually concur about the Assault Cannons too, infact i really like that with the new Horus Heresy fluff they have undone the whole 'all the imperial space marine cool toys are post-heresy inventions' thing (which implies the csm's lack of such cool toys is down to their lack of ability to maintain them)