PDA

View Full Version : 2k Hordes of Chaos - Smashy or Casty?

Malagant
10-05-2008, 02:03
I’ve decided to ignore the WD temporary Hordes of Chaos list, and will continue to use the existing book until the new one is released…my gaming group actually recommended this, which I’m very grateful for.

I’ve had bad luck with my Horde army, but have been tweaking and fiddling with it for weeks.

With the models I have on hand, I’ve come up with two lists that I think would be fun: the “Smashy” list and the “Casty” list. Please note, I know chariots are effective, but I don’t own one, nor do I like them…the models are ugly and I think they’re not “fluffy” for this army.

Feedback, critique, and accusations of mental irregularity are welcome!

“Smashy” (this is actually about 15 points over…any thoughts on how to shave 15 points?) [6PD, 5DD]

Chaos Lord on Chaos Steed with Great Weapon, Shield, Helm of Many Eyes, and Gaze of the Gods – He’ll not join a unit, instead trying to form a hammer to something engaged in an infantry block, or he could even be bait for enemy to charge: five S7 attacks would blunt the charge of the most powerful enemy force, and his ward save & high armor save make him capable of surviving anything…and if he flees, he’s still fun! ;)

Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Disc with Berserker Sword and Enchanted Shield – He floats behind and beside infantry block, slinging spells then charging unexpectedly over intervening troops. The large base size of the Disc model should allow him to get a huge number of attacks

Aspiring Champion of Tzeentch carrying Army Battle Standard, with 2 Dispel Scrolls – Join an infantry unit centrally located to give BSB benefit and add some magic and melee firepower to middle of my line.

2x 15 Chaos Marauders with Full Command, Flail, Light Armor, and Shield – Static CR main line infantry, use flails if they charge, HW & shield if they take a charge

10 Chosen Chaos Warriors with Full Command, Shields, and Great Weapons – line up 6 wide to one side of Marauder blocks to charge with GW, or take charge with HW & Shield

5 Chosen Chaos Knights Marked by Khorne with Full Command – Smash things engaged with my infantry line

5 Marauder Horsemen with Musician, Throwing Axes and Flails – March block, harass with axes, kill artillery, rear charge with flails, cut off retreat, etc

5 Screamers of Tzeentch – Lone wizard, fast cavalry, & artillery hunters

5 Warhounds Try for flank charge something engaged with infantry block, US10 to take away rank bonus, etc

1 Chaos Spawn – More fun than you can shake a stick at! I’d love to make it a spawn of Slaanesh for the extra d6 movement, but already over on points.

The “Casty” list: (12 PD, 6DD)

Chaos Lord of Tzeentch on Disc, Halberd & Shield, Staff of Change & Golden Eye of Tzeentch – Maneuver for good line of sight, fling many spells, dive in to melee unexpectedly when appropriate

Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Chaos Steed with Great Weapon and Helm of Many Eyes – Same as Lord in “Smashy” list, with addition of spells. Try to stay within range of Lord to help stupid tests

Aspiring Champion of Tzeentch BSB – BSB for infantry block, sling spells, etc.

2x 15 Chaos Marauders with Full Command, Flail, Light Armor, and Shield – Static CR main line infantry, use flails if they charge, HW & shield if they take a charge

10 Chosen Chaos Warriors Marked by Tzeentch with Full Command, Shields, and Great Weapons – line up 6 wide to one side of Marauder blocks to charge with GW, or take charge with HW & Shield

5 Chosen Chaos Knights Marked by Tzeentch with Full Command – Smash things engaged with my infantry line

5 Marauder Horsemen with Musician, Throwing Axes and Flails – March block, harass with axes, kill artillery, rear charge with flails, cut off retreat, etc

5 Screamers of Tzeentch – Lone wizard, fast cavalry, & artillery hunters

Any thoughts on pros/cons of either list, or which might be more effective vs. O&G or OK?

Thanks all!

mistformsquirrel
10-05-2008, 02:18
I'm personally finding the "Smashy" list more appealing; but thats just me <@_@> I like the idea you have with that Exalted Champion, something I was hugely tempted to do with my Chaos Lord; but refrained. However I'm patently noobish so I can't really give much advice beyond "I think thats kinda cool"