PDA

View Full Version : Get the Skulls: 2.5Kpts Khornate Daemons

BrianGeneral
10-05-2008, 07:21
And yet again, gotta make some further plans for forming armies in the future.

Heroes:
Skulltaker on Juggernaut-200pts
2 Heralds of Khrone with Armour of Khrone, Firestorm Axe, Juggernaut-190pts*2=380pts
Herald with Obsidan Armour, on Juggernaut-200pts

Core:
4x 16 Bloodletters with Full Command-222pts*3=888pts

Special:
2x 5 Flesh Hounds-175pts*2=350pts

Rare:
3 Bloodcrushers-210pts (Skulltaker and a Fire Herald join here)
3 Bloodcrushers-210pts (a Herald and teh Armour Herald joins here)

Total: 2438pts

Is the army looks good or not? And how can I fill up the rest of the points?
Or should I use teh super Khrone Lord or Bloodthirster as my choices of heroes?

neXus6
10-05-2008, 07:35
That is a VERY hard hitting list. I like it a lot. :D

Personally I would want to take a Bloodthirster just cause...well...he's the Big ********** noone really wants to mess with, but if I wasn't going to take one I'd take an army like yours.

The only suggestions I would make would be to put 1 or perhaps 2 of the character into the infantry units, to give them either hatred or the extra punch of Skulltaker. 3 Crushers + Herald on Jugger is more than enough, and a bit easier to maneuver than 5 wide.

Perhaps drop 1 Jugger rider and upgrade one of the Heralds to a Battle Standard with a magic banner? Fielding the Crushers as 1 unit of 3 + herald, and 1 unit of 2 + herald & Skulltaker.

Also I love the idea of 0+ save characters, so I'd probably give all 3 Armour of Khorne rather than 1 with obsidian.

For the extra points....a couple of Standards in the Crusher units?

Just some wee tweaks and things to think about, you've got a very solid base to tinker with, and the army is larger than would be expected because of the lack of a Greater Daemon, while really not losing any hitting power.

LooseMoose
10-05-2008, 09:53
I'd really go with the BSB and Standard of Sundering here on the Herald with Obsidian Armour (go back to Armour of Khorne) as nexus suggested.

soulcrusher
10-05-2008, 09:57
nice themed army and that really will hit bloody hard however you will get butchered by magic , gun lines and tarpits. good luck......

although many players are trying to make themed armies i disagree with them, the new daemons have been made so each god has its own strengths and weaknesses, when combined they are very powerful and balanced . by making a single god army you are taking there greatest asset away, like taking gun lines from empire and numbers from orcs

BrianGeneral
10-05-2008, 13:31
Soulcrusher: I don't mean to make a uber-powerful army (a BT will be considered for GT though) but a themed army will really make you to think deep further into tactics as you'll suffer some significant weaknesses IMO, rather than the jack-of-all-trades for me.

The reason to keep Obsidan Armour is because the Magic Weapons nowadays are more and more powerful, at a certain level that even "killing" can't prevent the death of some heroes (in town there're certainly people using Karl Franz and other characters, especially those from VC) so it's meant for preventation while not sacrificing offensive capability. It provides a 3+ Armour Save anyway.

I'll put the thought of the banner, but since my Herald will generally charging forward, is that risky for the enemy to lob teh standard instead?

neXus6
10-05-2008, 19:11
nice themed army and that really will hit bloody hard however you will get butchered by magic , gun lines and tarpits. good luck......

Personally I think Mono-God armies are going to do just fine. All of them can deal with pretty much anything with a little tactics.

This army will take some hits from indirect magic, BUT it has a lot of hard hitting fast units which can get in amongst the enemy and start tearing the enemy mages to pieces.
Vs Gunlines the same thing goes, use clever deployment and clever movement/use of terrain to get in amongst the gun line. Even if only a few Khorne Daemons make it they will scythe through a gun line.
Vs Tarpits hah, it's gonna have to be a hell of a tar pit unit to be able to take Bloodcrushers + a herald into the flank. Never mind if there are Letters in their front.

I really don't understand people that are writing off mono-god lists, all of them are very effective. Yes they have weaknesses, but that just means you've got to play to stop your opponent using those weaknesses.

EndlessBug
10-05-2008, 22:19
you've got to play to stop your opponent using those weaknesses.

quoted for emphasis!

Seriosuly, no list goes without weaknessess, you do realise that the majority of cheesed up armies are cheese because they take one part of the game and maximise on it? Therefore in theory by taking one god you are maximising in one area of the game as well.

Nurgle - points denial
Slaanesh - Movement Phase
Khorne - combat phase
Tzeentch - Magic Phase

Sure taking some of each is great as it emphasises a balanced list (I would generally agree with) but it doesn't mean a list can't function without every single aspect.

Personally I believe dual lists will work best.

It is spelled "Khorne".

Wow real constructive advice there my friend, by gods I didn't actually understand the title of the post until I opened it, Khornate is just so random. AND hells Brian, you miss-typed Khorne into Khrone what a shameful man, who'd have guessed what he really meant was khorne?

And onto the list again :) I agree with what neXus6 said, drop one herald in each of the units to bring them down to 4, you'll find that unwieldy enough without 5.

I'd love it if you dismounted the heralds and bunged them into the 'letter units. Also unit sizes of 16 don't really work IMO (im guessing 8x2?) so perhaps with the points saved bump them up to 18 (6x3), 20 (5x4) or 21 (7x3).

Nice list though :) with a few tweaks I think it'll be spot on!

Nightsword
10-05-2008, 23:30
You can still put them into letters if mounted on a jugger, EndlessBug. Ive seen many people talking about. If you had 18 in a unit, then the herald would make that unit strength 20, in other words, full rank bonus.

Sarael
11-05-2008, 05:31
Yep, I would put the Heralds, on Juggers, into units of 'Letters. Juggers are just big cav now, not LTs nor do they have 3+ wounds. A unit of Crushers can handle themselves, and the Jugger Heralds will add all the punch a unit of Letters could ever want, while also giving the unit a long ranged charger should a pesky chariot (or Walter) rear its ugly head. KEEP the Obsidian Armor, it will TOTALLY shut Walter down, and isn't directly metagaming.

I'd give a second thought to the 4th unit of 'Letters too. Dropping them and boosting the ranks of your other units would mean those units could absorb some casualties before they begin to lose their ranks.

Question: If a unit of 'letters has 3 jugger heralds in the unit, would they take up the entire front of the unit? :P

EndlessBug
11-05-2008, 07:54
You can still put them into letters if mounted on a jugger, EndlessBug.

I'm well aware of that Night, my post refered to me asking him not to as I personally hate it when peeps put cavalry based heroes in normal units. Just one of the warhammer rules which really irritates me :). It just looks really bad.

StefDa
11-05-2008, 08:34
Kudos to you for going for a single God - most people that I've talked to and read says mono-god armies aren't going to fare too well these days.

How will you start it? Will you proxy a couple of games? When will you get your first game? If soon, I would like to hear *everything* about it! I have a friend who is possibly interested in going all Khorne, too.

Wow real constructive advice there my friend, by gods I didn't actually understand the title of the post until I opened it, Khornate is just so random. AND hells Brian, you miss-typed Khorne into Khrone what a shameful man, who'd have guessed what he really meant was khorne?

Oh relax. Mispelt it three times, I guess he wasn't aware of it. Why do you take it so negatively, chap? Its not like I assaulted someone personally.
As to constructive criticism, maybe I hadn't read enough on the Daemons at that time to give OP the advice he deserves from posting here? Jesus, dude.

Sarael
11-05-2008, 09:15
I'm well aware of that Night, my post refered to me asking him not to as I personally hate it when peeps put cavalry based heroes in normal units. Just one of the warhammer rules which really irritates me :). It just looks really bad.

Personally, I like the look of it. I run a ghoul horde led by a trio of dread knights, and I think they look frackin' sweet!

BrianGeneral
11-05-2008, 13:45
Thanks for the inputs guys. Now revised with 2 versions:

List 1
Heroes:
2 Heralds of Khrone with Armour of Khrone, Firestorm Axe, Juggernaut-190pts*2=380pts
Herald with Obsidan Armour on Juggernaut, with BAttle Standard+Great Banner of Sundering-275pts

Core:
2x 16 Bloodletters with Full Command-222pts*2=444pts
2x 15 Bloodletters with Full Command-198pts*2=420pts (2 Heralds will join 2 separate teams)

Special:

Rare:
3 Bloodcrushers-210pts (Skulltaker joins here)
3 Bloodcrushers-210pts (O-Armour Herald joins here)

Total: 2489pts

List 2

Lord:
Bloodthirster with 100pts Daemonic Gifts-550pts
-Obsidian Armor, Axe of Khorne, Immortal Fury
-Awesome Strength, Immortal Fury
-Obsidian Armor, Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury
-Immortal Fury, Axe of Khorne, Firestorm Blade, Armor of Khorne
(Which is better for general uses anyway? Especially in GTs)

Core:
6x 10 Bloodletters with Full Command-150pts*6=900pts

Special:

Rare:
3 Bloodcrushers-210pts (Skulltaker joins here)
4 Bloodcrushers-280pts

Total: 2490pts

Which list is better now? Is it wise to break up the Bloodletters into smaller squads anyway?
(Hint: quite a lots of people in town are using VCs, then Empires which mean Steam Tanks, Knights and sometimes Karl Franz)

neXus6
11-05-2008, 14:47
Personally I like the first list most, don't really see any problems at all with it. Pretty much exactly how I'd like a non-Thirster list to look. :D

A couple of things about the 2nd list:
Immortal Fury, Axe of Khorne, Firestorm Blade, Armor of Khorne, is the best of those combos in my opinion. They don't need more defence than the Armour as long as you pick your targets correctly. :D

Also I would probably suggest 2 units of 20 Letters and 2 of 10, rather than 6 of 10. MSU is all well and good but I think Khorne can really benefit from some nice block units should you have need of holding up the enemy while you get your support units lined up.

IronBrother
11-05-2008, 21:05
The first list looks fine. I would drop one unit of Bloodletters and increase the other three to 20 on their own. Then buy at least five furies to go after some warmachines. I would stay away from a Bloodthirster at this point level. Should be very competitive though. What about the Flesh Hound character? Have you thought about using him, as he is just plain nasty.

Dead Man Walking
12-05-2008, 00:19
You only have to worry about armies who cast spells on themselves, like ogres, undead and khemri. Since you only have 2 dispel dice you will get chewed up fast by khemri magic phase, as most of thier spells only effect them.

neXus6
12-05-2008, 10:09
I really don't think it's so much of a problem.

Most indirect magic isn't going to be able to overcome the sheer brutality of the Khorne army once it hits I think.

In the case of Khemri their magic only seems amazing when you take into account it wears through your dispel, if it's all getting through each spell can only be cast successfully once on a unit per turn and I don't feel that would be enough to bring skeletons up to a par with bloodletters. It will require tactics to minimise the magic charges but it's not that bad. :D