PDA

View Full Version : Charging around corners

Yanos
18-10-2005, 10:33
Hi all; I don't doubt this has come up before, but I encountered it last night and it shook my resolve that I was right, so I'm after some confirmation or condemnation here.

Quite simply (as I hope my diagram shows), unit of my Spearmen on one side of square tower. They have LoS and charge arc on the unit of Cavalry around the corner of the tower, and enough movement to get there. But they can't do it in a straight line. So start the charge by moving forwards, wheel once to bring all front rank models into combat, then move in and align.

It was just the idea of charging around a corner that seemed underhand, and although the combat went on for 3 turns and decimated both sides, I ended up feeling guilty about it. Any thoughts?

Crube
18-10-2005, 10:41
I dont have the rulebook to hand, so may be wrong, but even so, i would have no problem with you doing that in a game.

Even if its not to the letter of the rules, to me its in the spirit of them, so fine by me...

I'm sure someone else will have the rulebook handy for an 'official' response soon though...

McMullet
18-10-2005, 10:58
Even if the tower wasn't there, you'd still have to wheel. As long as you can see the target, there's no problem.

T10
18-10-2005, 14:31
It is a legitimate move.

To elaborate: You are not required to wheel as the first thing you do during a charge. You may in effect move forward,wheel and then move forward again.

Once in contact with the target unit you wheel again to align your unit against it.

-T10

Crazy Harborc
18-10-2005, 18:36
Well.....I've not seen it happen in a game around here. IMHO, it can work! No reason not too (unless you are the charged unit's player).

Markconz
18-10-2005, 23:10
You may make one wheel during a charge move. No problem.

Yanos
19-10-2005, 08:06
Cheers all, I was hoping you'd say that. My confidence in my own decision-making is now restored! :D

mageith
19-10-2005, 19:17
The diagram seems to indicate that you started the charge within the quadrant nearest the tower but wanted to charge a different quadrant. Is this only a problem with the diagram?

Mage Ith

Ganymede
19-10-2005, 20:09
I agree, remember that if you are on the flank of a unit, you have to charge the flank. If the tower prevents you from making contact with the flank, then there can be no charge.

ObiWan
19-10-2005, 21:45
Can you give a reference for this? I just checked on the rule book and I agree that you have to charge the closer cuadrant, but in this case this is the closer valid cuadrant so I don't see the problem

Yanos
20-10-2005, 08:12
I'd not considered the flank issue :eyebrows:. To be honest I can't remember if I was in the target's flank zone or not, but I suspect I was or that charge would have been easier to pull off (the units being angled together more). Fair enough.