PDA

View Full Version : Oh goody, another Daemon Legion.

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 20:35
Well, who is suprised for people posting daemon armies up now that the book is out and all. Ok, I've fielded a pure Slaanesh legion for a while with the SoC list and been quite happy with it.

I'm hoping this doesn't change that much with the new book, but already I've come across some problems, mainly losing all the punch from my army with 'nettes being reduced to S3. I will not start a daemon circus just because some ******* at GW things "oh, this'll be nice." So I'll just have to get around this and hope for the best.

Ok, my list. I've worked as long as there has been rumours out there. There's a clear theme behind this, so some of the choices might be "smart" but I assure you that there's a reason for them. I'm not entirely sure about one or two point costs nor names of certain things. I owned the armybook for a while today, bought it literally straight out of the box, but I also sold it forwards because a friend lives on the other side of the town and would have to travel all across the town to get it on monday. I work next to the store and can get a new one on monday.

But the list:

Daemon Prince(ss):
-Lvl-2 Wizard
-Winged Horror, Unnatural Swiftness
= 430pts.

A fluffy choice, so not gonna take any GD no matter how better they would be. Used to be an Exalted, but they disappeared in a puff of logic at some point from the daemon list.

No dedication to Slaanesh, since I'm not paying 35pts. for a thing that forces me to use a certain lore and gives me gifts I wouldn't use. I get ASF without the mark, so there. Mainly she's to buzz around, give Ld., cause Terror (have had plenty of success with that one) and throw spells. With the better stats I think she'll get to crack some heads as well with no threat of puffing suddenly.

Herald of Slaanesh:
-BSB
= 115pts.

BSB to fill the first rank in the 14x 'nette unit. Nothing else much.

Herald of Slaanesh:
-Mount of Slaanesh
= 115pts.

A fluffy choice. Will fill a slot in the 13x 'nette unit. I could use it in a Seeker unit, but she doesn't give them ASF. On the other hand I need her to be on a mount. Doesn't matter. I've seen plenty of vets use mounted heroes in infantry units. They get bonuses for the mount and can chase down a fast enemy unit fleeing.

Herald of Slaanesh:
-Chariot of Slaanesh
-Lvl. 1 Wizard
= 215pts.

I just have to have a chariot. I just have to. Can't live without it, especially my pretty pretty chariot conversion. Gave the herald magic purely because I'm not planning to throw the chariot in just any combat, so it can throw some spells from there (and I get some dispell dice as well) and charge where needed.

Furies (of Slaanesh, ke ke ke) (5x)
= 60pts.

Intended to fly with the Prince(ss), keep near to her for that sweet sweet Ld. and work as screens for enemy guns. Placing them between enemy archers, gunners, cannons and the Prince(ss), they can't shoot it. Also give some punch to the Prince(ss) in CC if needed to.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (12x):
-Standard, Musician
= 162pts.

Just a cheap block to buzz around. Mostly just a "I have to have 3 core units" thingy. But decided that lets make it something that'll work and not to just give the enemy free points. Champion was a little useless as it costs as much as a new 'nette.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (13x):
-Full Command
= 186pts.

A unit to take the mounted herald and get a nice 3x5 block.

Daemonettes of Slaanesh (14x):
-Full Command
= 198pts.

A unit to take the BSB and get a nice 3x5 block.

Seekers of Slaanesh (6x):
-Standard Bearer, Siren Standard (or what ever the "only hold when charged" banner was)
= 181pts.

First wanted to have 2 units with the standard, but the 'nettes drew so much of my points that I just couldn't affort two units of them and still have an effective backbone for my force. So now they're a unit to hunt down those pesky units that keep avoiding combat. Or long range fast enemy unit hunting.

2x Fiends of Slaanesh (3x):
= 165pts.

Always fielded two units of Pleasureseekers and with Fiends I get more fun with the same cost. I just can't say how excited I am about these things. Two units of 3 is just what the doctor ordered and apart from the characters, the only real punch my army has.

Total of 1992pts.

So, there's my legion and I'll try sticking to it. But I'm still bummed out with how 'nettes turned out. I'm afraid they're nothing but crap now and I have to field 3 units of them. Not fair. Horros are crazy mages, 'lettes have strength and aren't that frail either and Nurgle... You can't move those things anymore with a herald in them. So what do 'nettes get? Lose the S4 just to get AP, a little more speed, WS and ASF with a Herald. Come on. Soon the only reason to be a Slaanesh enthusiast are all the orgies (to which on one ever comes...).

RobG
11-05-2008, 01:22
(to which on one ever comes...).

Well, unless you count the overweight, unshaven and unshowered warhammer "vets".

The list is about as good as you'll get if you have to stick with the 'nettes. They really aren't able to stand up as a solid core anymore and I think you'll be hard pressed to take any wins from top teir armies with this.

What you have to see is that daemonette's aren't designed as a core block unit anymore, the army is ment to be mixed and the 'nettes fill the role of fast moving small unit flankers. Trying to adapt them into the majority of your army without an anvil unit like the plaguebearers is going to hurt, especially as you've got to try and use the 'nettes as anvils in your army for the fiends/characters and you'll be bloody lucky to have them hold long enough to work in this role.

With the HQ the daemon prince is a horrible choice for the points cost that softens up an already weak army but that's your choice as far as fluff runs.

MrBigMr
11-05-2008, 09:26
I know 'nettes suck. But a "theme" army of various daemons all painted the same way and converted Slaaneshy is just a big stinking pile of you-know-what. I would rather loose 10 out of 9 games than start playing into GW's pocket with this "all gods are friends" crap. And I know plenty of people who will keep their mono-god armies as well. I didn't spend tons of money, time and effort, spilling even my own blood (nothing like drilling into your own finger) just so that I would have to disregard all that in favour of some daemon circus.

I am making a mixed daemon cheese army for 40K with plenty of "counts as" and other idiocies GW has come up with just as a protest on how freaking gay that crap is. I don't get it how we're just ignoring all fluff and all logic in favour of some sort of a balance I don't really see.

Imagine if we'd get a "Super Best Friends" armybook. Humans, elves, dwarves, etc. squeezed into one book. Elves could be the archers and bolt thrower crew, empire the block infantry and light cavalry, dwarves the heavy infantry and hand gunners, Bretonnians heavy cavalry, etc. No one could really argue against that, now could they. Don't they good guys band together in times of need, just like daemons band together when there is manflesh to be devoured? So what if the faction might hold a grudge against one another, they'll disregard those thing in favour of fighting the bad guys.

Aflo
11-05-2008, 09:46
So the only way you would have been happy was if GW released 4 seperate books for each of the powers? Someone's over-reacting. I don't understand your apparent hatred for counts as, either. What I dislike is how all demons of a particular 'variety' are near identical to each other. Surely thier would be no problem, fluffwise or other, converting up some large, hardcore demons of Slaanesh with big weapons and using them as bloodletters? Looks cool too.

Max zero
11-05-2008, 09:57
So the only way you would have been happy was if GW released 4 seperate books for each of the powers? Someone's over-reacting. I don't understand your apparent hatred for counts as, either. What I dislike is how all demons of a particular 'variety' are near identical to each other. Surely thier would be no problem, fluffwise or other, converting up some large, hardcore demons of Slaanesh with big weapons and using them as bloodletters? Looks cool too.

Could of done it with demonic animosity and the Warband system like before.

Each God would have a division that needed a character to lead it plus some troops.

You could have multi god armies that were flexible but still looked cool and each 'division' kept their own individuality. Much better then this terrible melting pot crap.

Draconian77
11-05-2008, 09:59
Its a shame that mono-god armies aren't as powerful as multi-god but at the same time I still feel they can be used. Its a fun list although having to have 3 units of Nettes' is annoying. If you are also a DE player you could also try adapting MSU for your nettes' although with ITP and thus no flee reaction that could be tricky.

MrBigMr
11-05-2008, 10:02
So the only way you would have been happy was if GW released 4 seperate books for each of the powers? Someone's over-reacting.
No, but they could have made each faction workable withing the book without having to rely on others. In SoC no one really had any problems with mono-god armies and with the restrictions of having to have an undivided general to get daemon circus, things were organized. Now it's all for themselves.

I don't understand your apparent hatred for counts as, either. What I dislike is how all demons of a particular 'variety' are near identical to each other. Surely thier would be no problem, fluffwise or other, converting up some large, hardcore demons of Slaanesh with big weapons and using them as bloodletters? Looks cool too.
Counts as has nothing wrong with it when doing conversions and that sort of thing (I know I have), but when something like that becomes company policy, it just reeks of lazyness. "Oh, we could do even semi-balanced armies for all the gods, but lets just make one unit of each and let the players worry about the rest."

When I want pure Slaanesh, having "counts as" crap in the mix is not the same. It feel like cheating and I'm sure as hell not gonna get any points for it either. Something like that sounds and smells like an excuse to get good units and still seem like a theme army. Instead of getting a KoS, I'll just get a 'thirster, but use the KoS model with wings and call it "super butch flying KoS", etc.

That's the beauty of my 40K Slaanesh army. You got 'nettes with claws as 'nettes, you got 'nettes with guns as horrors and you got 'nettes with swords as 'lettes. Then you got Tzeentch princes with nothing to show that they're Tzeentch and so forth. All models are painted with same colours and even the standards are all Slaaneshi. Who wouldn't love to face something like that?

"I'm not afraid of your daemonettes."
"They're not daemonettes, they're bloodlettes."
*charge, hack hack hack*

"You're Slaaneshi prince took 5 wounds and get 5+ Inv. saves for them."
"Wrong, he's a Tzeentch prince and gets 4+ saves."