PDA

View Full Version : All mounted Tomb King's Force?: How effective?

Nightsword
10-05-2008, 21:01
The way I see it is that the heavy cavalry option is a lot better than a standard skellie, despite not being able to field as many of them for the same points. They have essentially 2 attacks (horse having the same WS and S - though one attack is S4 on the first turn), can have a higher save (lights armour, shield + hand weapon, mounted), and are far quicker, potentially being able to charge on the first turn with magic, which in a TK army is useful. So i settled on the idea, greatly bolstered by a purchase from ebay which gave an excessive number of both infantry and cavalry, and set about establishin a TK all mounted force. So how effective so you consider this list and would it be fun to play with/against.

Tomb King Chariot of fire. Armour of the Ages, Crown of Kings, and Flail.
Liche Priest Skeletal steed, 2 dispel scrolls
Liche Priest Cloak of the Dunes, Plaques of mighty incantations

2 x 10 Heavy horsemen w/ full command
1 x 10 Heavy horsemen w/ full command and Standard of the cursing word
2 x 5 Light horsemen w/ musician
1 x 3 chariots w/ standard
1 x 3 chariots w/ standard and Mirage Standard

3 Ushabti
Scorpion

1998 pts

Or should i drop the specials in favour of a third liche priest and/or carrion?

Alpha_Wolf
10-05-2008, 21:20
Tomb King – Chariot of fire. Armour of the Ages, Crown of Kings, and Flail.
The king can only take 100pts of magical equipment total. Out of that mix, I'd either go with the Flail+Crown or Flail+Chariot of Fire+Golden Eye
Liche Priest – Skeletal steed, 2 dispel scrolls
This is good, most people take/should take a scroll caddy every game.
Liche Priest – Cloak of the Dunes, Plaques of mighty incantations
This isn't a bad setup but you may also consider the H.Jar in place of the plaque, five points cheaper too.

1 x 10 Heavy horsemen w/ full command and Standard of the cursing word

2 x 5 Light horsemen w/ musician
Light horseman don't really need a musician since they can't flee. If they do charge, they should be charging alone and most of your other units do have musicians. Points could be saved here.

1 x 3 chariots w/ standard and Mirage Standard
Normally I'd reserve the mirage standard for a large unit of chariots. In this case once your opponent learns of the standard they will simply fire on the other chariot unit.

3 Ushabti

Scorpion
I'd try to scrape together points for two of these if I were you.

1998 pts

Or should i drop the specials in favour of a third liche priest and/or carrion?
Its up to what you want to do but that is certainly an option, if you want another priest maybe drop the ushabti since the rest of the army outruns them anyway.

Consider the banner of the undying legion for one of your units, its a great item at a low price.

Overall this is not a bad army but one weakness is that you have very little shooting. If the enemy takes a lord on a dragon/greater demon you won't really have any option but to engage him in combat where they thrive.

Oenghus
10-05-2008, 21:42
Keep in mind that the heavy cav don't get their HW&Shield armor bonus, as they aren't infantry. That is to say, they'll get a 4+ (Light armour, Shield, mounted) but not a 3+.

I'd follow Alpha's advice -- drop at least half of the command (all musicians and most champs as well as a couple of banners), as you're going to be relying on combined charges anyway. Have your units work in pairs, one with banner, one without. You only get the one banner bonus anyway. Do away with the cursing word standard (or put it on a nice big chariot base to kill more), get rid of the mirage standard, and try to find yourself the points for another mounted priest.

Other than that, it looks like an interesting list. I'd be very keen to hear how it works out on the table.

Time of Madness
10-05-2008, 22:37
The best Tomb King mounted list I have seen goes something like this.

TK - Chariot with equipment
LP - Cloak/jar
LP - Steed and staff
LP - steed and 2 scrolls

4 chariots (champ/standard with BoUL)
3 Chariots
3 Chariots

10 Heavy horse
5 light horse
5 light horse

5 carrion
1 scorp
1 scrop
1 scrop

Much more effective having multiple scorps and carrion.
Time of Madness

Nightsword
10-05-2008, 22:55
Some interesting comments. I wasn't sure about the hand weapon and shield bonus, so thats nice to be reassured.

How i managed to go over 100pts for the tomb king, i have no idea.

A second scorpion is easily achieved if i drop most of the commands.

I figured the ushabti would be good for there 9s6 attacks and i actually dropped 2 x 10 bowmen for them. Mistake?

The Tk would have gone in the unit with the mirage standard as i figured they'd be targetted first. Hopefully by that point the other unit would be behind terrain/engaged with the enemy. I think the third priest is perhaps a must in that case. Since there combat units, is it worth putting the priests in with the cavalry or keeping them out on there own?

Oenghus
10-05-2008, 23:27
I'd hide the hierophant in a unit somewhere for the first turn or two -- you don't want all of your Ld 3 horsemen crumbling if he dies. Otherwise, you can consider running the priests in the units (risky once they're in combat), running them solo behind the units (risky until shooting and mages have been dealt with), or running them in units until you're ready to charge (hopefully your scorpion{s} will have killed the mages by then) and then leaving the units and magically charging all at once (tricky, but best solution if you can get it to work).

Multiple scorpions become even better than the sum of their parts. Charge them solo into heroes and mages (even if they're in units) and let the fun begin.

Nightsword
10-05-2008, 23:34
Sound advice. I was planning on having them run behind the cavalry, augmenting them when necessary. Kinda like the corpse cart idea. I think a playtest is in order...

neapolitan-guard
19-05-2008, 15:14
drop the ushabti, put another chariot in each unit and get another scorpion.

Nightsword
23-05-2008, 15:27
Ok, so here's the updated list:

Tomb King – Chariot of fire. Golden eye of Rah-nutt, Crown of Kings, light armour and Flail -
Liche Priest – Skeletal steed, 2 dispel scrolls -
Liche Priest – Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar –
Liche Priest – Skeletal steed, Staff of Ravening -

1 x 10 Heavy horsemen w/ full command and banner of the undying legion
2 x 5 Light horsemen

Scorpion -
Scorpion –
Scorpion -

1999 pts

Ok, so:

- I readdressed the King's equipment. I realised that his previous set of equipment was actually within 100pts of magic items, because i was using a mundane flail, but figured the 5+ ward save on geezer's chariot was probably more beneficial than the 5+ armour save and extra wound.

- A third liche priest has been added. Hopefully the staff will target any annoying warmachines or unarmoured troops. I say hopefully...

- Musicians have been taken off the light cavalry, but the standards remain on the chariots because I didnt know what else to do with the 40 remaining points :) Cavalry keep there full commands, because they'll need the extra CR from the banner, and hopefully the extra attack will do some damage.

- 2 more scorpions added because they're amazingly good.

So, my main problem, as stated before, is lack of (and probably protection from) shooting. I'm not sure how effective two small units of bowmen would be, but if i drop a scorpion/fiddle with the commands, i could probably afford the 2 units of 10 bowmen. But is it worth it or should i risk flying across the board (i say flying, more like stumbling...) and nailing the pesky gits who are too scared to be real men?

Malorian
23-05-2008, 15:29
Looks good to me. I'm sure it would work just fine.