PDA

View Full Version : Always hit Vs Needing 6's a precedence now?

Evil-Lite
11-05-2008, 14:53
After thinking about the Wood Elf FAQ (where the Netlings trump Always hit weapons) a few questions popped into my head. Not sure if any of these can apply (like I said, just thought about them).

1. If a Chariot needs 6's to hit do the impacts have to roll to hit (not sure this can happen ATM, more of a humor thing).

2. If a character with an always hit weapon fails a fear test do they need a 6 to hit now?

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2008, 15:00
1. Impact hits are never during a challenge.Netlings is only in a challenge.
You cant fail a fear test and then get to do impact hits....a failed fear test results in the unit not getting to charge.

2. The character still always hits....although I believe the FAQ says you roll for it.

Evil-Lite
11-05-2008, 16:38
I know netlings will not effect impact hits, was more in reference to how Dryads used to be with their tree forms (need 6's to hit). If a unit ever has that ability again (doubtful, but possible) would a chariot need to roll 6's for impact hits because always hits are not always hits anymore?

BloodiedSword
11-05-2008, 17:11
I don't think Impact hits will ever be affected by this kind of thing. Impact hits are not close combat attacks - they are free hits distributed on the defending unit before combat begins, that happen to contribute to CR.

There is no more justification for ever requiring a "To Hit" roll for Impact Hits than there is to demand that your opponent roll to hit when he shoots that Fireball at you, even if a unit were to have such an ability (which I doubt would ever happen anyway).

Solid State
11-05-2008, 17:28
The Direwolf FAQ states that auto hits vs 6s to hit now requires rolling of to see which takes precedence.

Though for the life of me I can't see why.

Faustburg
11-05-2008, 18:34
The infamous Canada/Direwolf FAQ is dumb, simple as that...

"Needing a 6" to hit and "always hit" should not cancel each other out, and certainly not out of the blue rule in favor of the "need a 6"... always hits in this case should have equaled "have rolled the 6 needed".

If it had been "always hit on 2+" (or 3+, or whatever) vs. "only hit on 6's" that should have been a roll-off to see what takes effect each turn.

But alas, someone thought they were right, and GW lack the sense to really think thourhg what they publish, so now we have "always hit on 6'" as the winner.

][nquist0r
11-05-2008, 20:46
The day chariot impact hits need 6's... Hell even need to roll for them is the day that the models go "into the box." Rolling to hit is so awesome on autohitting creatures, just look at how great Chaos spawn are!! What you havent seen one? Oh well they are these models that are unbreakable and roll a d6 for......

Yeah. cool

WusteGeist
12-05-2008, 06:19
Once again lack of logic amazes me. 6 to hit suggest a to hit roll is needed. If you hit automatically, then the need to roll is not needed. The to hit roll is made automatically. So the number needed to roll does not matter, as its made with out fail. It could be 5, oh look the roll is a 5 no matter what. It's that simple. Case closed.

T10
12-05-2008, 07:22
After thinking about the Wood Elf FAQ (where the Netlings trump Always hit weapons) a few questions popped into my head. Not sure if any of these can apply (like I said, just thought about them).

It's hard to say how a new ability along these lines will play out since it kind of depends on the wording.

Assuming an ability phrased as: "Enemies will need to roll 6+ to hit the character in close combat."

It is unlikely that this is in addition to the to-hit roll, which would mean that a WS5 attacker fighting a WS 3 model would need to both roll a 3+ to hit and then a 6+ on a separate roll in order to score a hit. However, only if the roll is separate from the to-hit roll will it come into play against attacks that cause automatic hits (impact hits, certain magic items).

-T10

FigureFour
12-05-2008, 17:24
But alas, someone thought they were right, and GW lack the sense to really think thourhg what they publish, so now we have "always hit on 6'" as the winner.

Unless they DID think through what they published and though "Hmmm, logically 'always hits' should trump 'always hit on a 6' but that's not the way we intended/want it to work, so we should clarify that this doesn't resolve in the obvious way."

GW is under no obligation to write the rules the way you like them.

Kaihlik
12-05-2008, 17:33
Once again lack of logic amazes me. 6 to hit suggest a to hit roll is needed. If you hit automatically, then the need to roll is not needed. The to hit roll is made automatically. So the number needed to roll does not matter, as its made with out fail. It could be 5, oh look the roll is a 5 no matter what. It's that simple. Case closed.I'm guessing you havnt actualy read the FAQ's then? The WE faq says that when the Annoyance of Netlings is up against an auto-hit weapon you dice off. This is where this argument has come from. Sorry but the case is not closed.