PDA

View Full Version : avatar of death?

pieplate
11-05-2008, 15:38
When using avatar of death, do you pick one opition and stick with it, or can you swap between them during the game?

To pick only one seems a bit harsh (20pt for hev arm + sheild), or a bit overpowerd to be able to choose before combat which combo to have. Mind you a black orc can.

Evil-Lite
11-05-2008, 16:41
You pick one of the options.

BloodiedSword
11-05-2008, 17:04
I believe Avatar of Death is worded so that the character is only equipped with one of the options.

Therefore, as you may not select to use equipment that you do not have, you may not switch in the middle of a battle.

IronBrother
11-05-2008, 20:51
You pick when you make your army list.

WusteGeist
12-05-2008, 05:36
When using avatar of death, do you pick one opition and stick with it, or can you swap between them during the game?

To pick only one seems a bit harsh (20pt for hev arm + sheild), or a bit overpowerd to be able to choose before combat which combo to have. Mind you a black orc can.

Please look at the Old VC codex and all the other codex recently written and those written for 7th, Empire, High Elves.

Once you have looked at the cost for a hero level of any sort to buy all the gear that avatar of death gives, let alone the price for a a lord choice, you can not tell me 20pts is steep. If anything it is a major discount.

EvC
12-05-2008, 08:12
Don't be ridiculous. Heavy armour and a great weapon does not cost 20 points in the new army books- there's not much difference with High Elves, but that's because they Always Strike First, making a great weapon even better.

Dread Knight on the other hand, really is a bargain!

T10
12-05-2008, 09:44
Please look at the Old VC codex and all the other codex recently written and those written for 7th, Empire, High Elves.

Once you have looked at the cost for a hero level of any sort to buy all the gear that avatar of death gives, let alone the price for a a lord choice, you can not tell me 20pts is steep. If anything it is a major discount.

I don't know where you want to go with this, but in general the cost of the following combos are (Lord or Hero):

Heavy armour and shield: 9 or 6
Heavy armour and great weapon: 12 or 8, 18 or 12 (high elves)
Heavy armour and additional hand weapon: 12 or 8

The Avatar of Death is overpriced in terms of points. Its not really a bad thing in my book: it makes it less viable to also take the magic oriented bloodline powers.

The Dread Knight package is more in line with the common cost of equipping a knight-like Hero, and certainly less expensive than equipping a Lord:

Heavy armour, shield, lance, barded warhorse: 36 or 24 (Empire), 39 or 26 (high elves).

Assuming that the Nightmare (M8, WS3, S4, I2) is comparable in value to its Empire and High Elf counterparts, then the Dread Knight package is a bargain.

-T10

Gorbad Ironclaw
12-05-2008, 10:30
Considering you are putting the equipment on either a Vampire or a Vampire Lord, characters who are some of the best fighting options in the game 20 points really isn't very much to pay at all.

GundamMecha
12-05-2008, 12:38
you also have little choice, since you can't buy armour as a standard upgrade for the Vampire its either Vampiric powers or magic items to keep him alive.

If you look at it as more of a skill than an item then it isn't so bad.

The higher cost also makes it a bit fairer since Vampire heroes or lords can be brutal killing machines in combat.

Generally though your better off just going with magic items, although this can be useful if you have lots of heroes and need a quick fix that isn't a suit of magical armour.