Which would be a better option for a lone Bloodcrusher:
a) Bloodreaper
b) standard with icon

AMP187
11-05-2008, 18:42
Blah blah blah

zid
11-05-2008, 18:53
I have a converted model (that looks like a large, strange Chaos creature) on a 50x50 base that I used as a giant in my old Chaos army.

Now that Chaos has split, I'm playing Daemons and plan on still using the model.

I can't decide which rare choice to us it as, but Bloodcrushers have the proper base size.
I'll convert a rider (possibly with standand) if I go with the Bloodcrusher rules.

I don't want to pick an option that just ends up being a waste of points.

AMP187
11-05-2008, 18:59
blah blah blah

Braad
11-05-2008, 19:04
Remember though that if the one with standard gets killed, that's another 100 victory points for your opponent.

I would go with the Bloodreaper (assuming that's the champion upgrade).

By the way, maybe a pic of what we are talking about?

athamas
11-05-2008, 19:13
champion could be good, as you can charge in and challange, reducing the amount of hits you will take [either by sending the champion/hero to the back, or only facing them... ]

AMP187
11-05-2008, 19:45
blah blah blah

zid
11-05-2008, 20:22
Standards are also captured when a unit is destroyed.
I assumed that Daemon standards could be captured that way.

I am also unsure if I should include full command in my units of 10 horrors. Clarifying this issue would help.

Braad,
Sorry no pics at the moment. Let's just say it looks like a skinny brontasaurus.:D

AMP187
11-05-2008, 20:28
blah blah blah

Gralph!?!
11-05-2008, 20:29
they can also get the points if they kill you. it is stated under the section of unbreakable troops in the capturing standards section of the rule book.

Lordsaradain
11-05-2008, 20:43
champion could be good, as you can charge in and challange, reducing the amount of hits you will take [either by sending the champion/hero to the back, or only facing them... ]

I second that. Causing more wounds is always good too.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
11-05-2008, 21:03
On the Standard Capturing thing - this is odd though, if you look at the 7th Edition FAQ for the main rulebook on the GW site.

There they have the question asking something like:

Q: If I have lost a Standard to an enemy unit, can I get that standard back by simply destroying the enemy unit, or must I make them break from combat, then pursue and destroy them while they are fleeing, in order to recapture my Standard ?

A: You must make them break and then catch and destroy them, the same way you would have lost your Standard in the first place.

------------------

This is very interesting/curious - as it would SEEM to suggest that they are saying you CANNOT (errata going against/replacing what is in the Big Red Rulebook)...simply destroy a unit to capture/re-capture a Standard/Banner ?

IF true...it would mean Daemons and other Immune to Psychology units could NEVER lose their Standards ? Thoughts ?

Comments ?

Here's the link to the FAQ page I'm talking about:
http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/errata.htm

----------------

Braad
11-05-2008, 21:33
Your a bit wrong here, Fulgrim.
In the FAQ it says "defeated" and not "destroyed" which is something completely different. Defeated means you loose with combat resolution, but you haven't broken yet. That's what might happen next.

So according to the FAQ, you need to first defeat them, then break them and then catch them, to get the banner.

---EDIT---

Reading a bit further, and its actually even more different then you say. You only need to break them and do a pursue move to get the banner. You don't need to actually catch them, according to the rules on page 80 of the BRB. It also says that standards are captured when a unit is completely destroyed, by the way.
Even I learned something now, I always thought you had to catch the unit.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
11-05-2008, 22:03
My point was that the FAQ seems to suggest you must get the unit to BREAK first...then pursue, etc. to get the Standard or to RE-capture a Standard you have already lost.

Since Immune to Psych units, like Daemons, don't ever "break"...how would you ever get (or get back) a Standard from them, going off the wording in the FAQ ? It seems to suggest they could not lose it - since the FAQ would, essentially, be over-riding the wording used on page-80 in the BRB, which you mention. :confused:

decker_cky
11-05-2008, 22:21
The FAQ basically works it out so you only claim the standard if it falls when the unit breaks or is destroyed. That means a single bloodcrusher would give up 100 extra VPs.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this though: Don't take any command upgrades on a single model. They're expensive and fragile, so as a support unit, use it on it's own. 20 pts for a standard or attack is way too much.

There's only one reason to take a single model with command, and that's for a combo charge with hounds. Then, a standard would be handy, to use almost as the command and protect the hounds. Even then...I think I'd just put the 20 pts towards another hound.

Conotor
11-05-2008, 22:22
Never give a standard to a unit that costs under 100 points.

Spirit
11-05-2008, 22:35
Never give a standard to a unit that costs under 100 points.

Unless its a zombie unit! They are worth alot more than their points!

shartmatau
12-05-2008, 00:30
I as planning on taking one bloodcrushers with the skulltotem because he will be joined by skulltaker on a juggernaut, giving skull the benefit of the banner. And because I only have two juggernauts I'd rather take skulltaker than a champion.

zid
13-05-2008, 16:14
I think I'll go another direction and take a single Fiend instead.
It seems like the Fiend's special rule makes it more useful than a single Bloodcrusher.
Bloodcrushers get exponentially better with numbers.
Any thoughts?

StefDa
13-05-2008, 20:48
No less than three Bloodcrushers. I used two, and I quickly sold them off again. Bought more Plaguebearers instead.