PDA

View Full Version : Skarbrand

Amon 'Chakai
12-05-2008, 08:33
Am I right in saying that Skarbrand doesn't have any armour, even though he was/is one of Khorne's greatest Bloodthirsters?

Nabeshin1106
12-05-2008, 08:41
He has the Iron Hide daemonic gift, granting him a 3+ armor save.

isidril93
12-05-2008, 17:09
iron hide isnt a daemonic gift...the one you're talking about is armour of khorne

and no he has no armour...maybe this represent the fact that it could have gotten destroyed when khorne threw him

Nabeshin1106
12-05-2008, 17:50
Oh, woops, I looked in my Codex, not my Army Book.

isidril93
12-05-2008, 17:57
thats ok...i forgive you:p:angel:

Fulgrim's-Chosen
12-05-2008, 20:11
It DOES make you think it's a typo though.

EVERY Bloodthirster has at least Heavy Armor in the new book, by default.

SOME can even have 3+ Armor of Khorne or mighty Obsidian Armor.

Skarbrand, the (yes) exiled, but still 1-time General of Khorne's Armies....has.....nothing...not even a wee loincloth. :eyebrows: (lol)

-----------------

It's made more silly when you look at the picture that the artist drew for him and you can clearly see heavy Khornate armor adorning him. Clearly GW told the artist "yeah, give him his two axes, his snarling face, some nice armor, etc." - and yet in the rules entry, they (forgot ?) to list any for him.

There are at least 15-different issues/items/entry questions in the new book that badly need Errata/Clarification by GW.

This is a minor one...but it's still one that would be okay to ask.

Amon 'Chakai
13-05-2008, 07:38
It also seems strange that the armour issupposed to be fused to the bloodthirsters?!

Spirit
14-05-2008, 01:21
Im pretty sure the artwork for him is old stuff, not drawn for the book.

As for him, maybe he hates the armour. Seeing as he hates everything else, why not himself, just not QUITE enough to be a whiny emo kid.

neXus6
14-05-2008, 01:46
Yeah the picture in the Skarbrand entry is an old old John Blanch special :rolleyes:.

I'm pretty sure in the background Khorne took all of Skarbrands gifts away, except the axes, which would include Armour of Khorne if he did have it. :)

Famder
14-05-2008, 02:06
Khorne let him live and emboldened his rage so that he could suffer for his betrayal. It would make sense that stripping him of his armor so that he is returned to the warp more frequently and feels pain more often.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
14-05-2008, 12:10
True....it just results in him being that much more of a crappy choice for a Special Character.

The fact he costs SO much for what you get for him is what is most annoying.

If he was 585 points..or...600-tops...then he might be tolerable.

But at 650+ :eek:, when you can have a "standard tooled-up Thirster" for over 100-points LESS...that is NOT Frenzied....can FLY...can have pretty nice ARMOR...and only 2-less attacks per round (7 default for Thirsters)....which can be re-rolled EVERY round due to Immortal Fury as a Gift option, while Skarbrand ONLY has "Hatred" - meaning only re-rolls in the first round of a combat....etc. etc.

.......you have to wonder why you would ever take Skarbrand OVER the regular tooled-Thirster ?

E-616
14-05-2008, 12:13
This kind of reminds me of what happened with the new Vlad Von Carstein model, he's almost covered from head to toe in armour, yet no armour save in his rules or equipment...

eleveninches
14-05-2008, 12:22
All of the LORD special charachters seem underpowered for their points value in comparison with the special charachters from the HE&VC books

Fulgrim's-Chosen
14-05-2008, 12:50
Careful there....not ALL of them ;)

Several of the Heroes are EXTREMELY good for what they give you -most notably The Masque and The Blue Scribes.

The Lords (Greater Daemons) are not, admittedly, as impressive...with ONE exception - FATEWEAVER. He is amazing and in a well-formed Daemon list can be devastating.

KharnTheBetrayer01
14-05-2008, 13:36
Take him because he causes hatred in every model on the board!

Just for the amusement and self destructive ways. Seems a good enough reason to me.

eleveninches
14-05-2008, 14:13
I meant the lord special charachters. BLuescribes are awesome. Imagine playing a magic-heavy vampire army which casts 10 invokations per turn, giving you +10 PD in your turn, letting your lv2 flying herald (with master of sorcery) cast almost all spells from lore of tzeentch in one turn :)

Fulgrim's-Chosen
15-05-2008, 16:07
Indeed - I used that almost exactly to good effect last game ! Good ol' Bluescribes :D !

Baragash
15-05-2008, 16:48
Who thinks it's because they over-wrote the BT entry to create Skarbrand, where the Axes and Heavy Armour are listed as a single sentence?

Fulgrim's-Chosen
15-05-2008, 19:48
It's quite possible. Maybe in the Errata they will say "Weapons: Axes Slaughter and Carnage" and in Armor it will say "Heavy Armor" or better yet, "Armor of Khorne" (3+ Armor Save)....that might ALMOST make him worthwhile.....ALMOST...:p

sulla
15-05-2008, 22:56
It also seems strange that the armour issupposed to be fused to the bloodthirsters?!

so are the wings...

neXus6
15-05-2008, 23:28
Well the wings are broken cause he got thrown into the ground. I'm still pretty sure Khorne took Skarbrands armour away. I don't think it really matters if it was fused to him, that would probably just make Khorne happier. :p

Horus38
19-05-2008, 01:28
I think he's devoid of the armor. Also to say he's useless is a bit of a stretch, giving your entire DEMON army hatred has the potential to be a lot more powerful then what it gives the opponent.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
19-05-2008, 19:29
It really depends.

His best use...if you want to think up one...is leading an army of all Nurgle stuff.

Nurgle's general weakness is he has few attacks (normally) - GUO, Plaguebearers, etc. or they are weak STR- (Nurglings).

Beasts sort of break that rule, but they are random, so you could still only roll up 2-3 attacks with them.

The key to bolstering Nurgle is to make HITS re-rollable...doubling the combat accuracy of the army.

Give the Plaguebearer units the Icon of Seeping Decay and you can then re-roll failed hits (Skarbrand's Hatred) AND failed Wounds (the Icon)....that is HUGE in terms of winning critical combats.