PDA

View Full Version : Colors of the Fallen Angels

Dominus_Serui
12-05-2008, 23:32
Ok, so the regulars amongst the Fallen have their armour painted black as per pre-heresy Dark Angels armour, but what do we know about the colors of their Terminators and Bikers?

I can't remember what the current fluff over when the Deathwing and the Ravenwing were founded....

Feor
13-05-2008, 00:09
Ravenwing for certain existed pre-heresey, but they've just got pre-heresey armour colours anyways.

I don't know if they would have had a full terminator Company, probably. They didn't adopt the Deathwing colours until well after the Heresey, however.

Edit: Though, come to think of it, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Deathwing and Ravenwing were allowed to keep their pre-heresey colours because no one from either the first or second company fell to Chaos during the battle of Caliban.

Weaver
13-05-2008, 00:34
The Deathwing and Ravenwing were not made distinct units with their distinct colours until sometime after the Heresy

The Deathwing were painted bone white in honour of the members of a terminator unit that was slaughtered on some planet somewhere (I can't recall)

The Ravenwing was created after the Heresy for the express purpose of hunting down Fallen - hence why Ravenwing are often the first to appear at the sight of a battle or areas where Fallen are rumoured to have been seen.

I'm pretty sure that these two units did not exist pre-heresy.

PondaNagura
13-05-2008, 00:45
the deathwing were changed to the bone to honor the death of the terminators who fought to reestablish control over one of their recruiting worlds, which in their absence had been corrupted by a genestealer cult.

so any Fallen termies would probably be as black as the rest of them.

Drakon
13-05-2008, 00:45
This will prove helpful for my fallen army, thankyou :D

Dominus_Serui
13-05-2008, 01:21
And mine...danke...

Feor
13-05-2008, 01:27
Descent of Angels actually revealed that the Ravenwing predates the Dark Angels themselves, having existed as members of The Order on Caliban who acted as scouts and light cavalry.

Post Heresey they were re-tasked with hunting down the Fallen.

Weaver
13-05-2008, 04:10
oops, pardon that mistake then; I hadn't read Descent yet.

St.Germaine
13-05-2008, 12:21
Ahhh, gotta love BL retconning history.:rolleyes:

(see also Soul Drinkers as a Second Founding chapter from the Imperial Fists)

Leftenant Gashrog
13-05-2008, 13:56
Ahhh, gotta love BL retconning history.:rolleyes:

Is that actually a retcon though? The Codex says that hunting the fallen is their primary duty - but it doesn't actually say they were founded specifically to do it, and Ravenwing were a part of the Horus Heresy DA list for EPIC in WD126. (as were Deathwing - but likewise the codex says they changed their colours as a result of the Plainsworld incident, but not that they changed their name.)

Fallen DA
13-05-2008, 15:38
DA Terminators were originally black too. Space Hulk's deathwing edition ran the story of how 5 Terminators saved a planet they were recruiting from, from a Genestealer infestation. The planet was home to native Indian tribes, the Terminators in question had come from this planet. They were expecting to die in the coming battle, as so in keeping with the tradition of their roots, painted their Armour White to signify Death. In short they obviously kicked ****, saved the day and managed to get home in time for tea and purity seals.... Good story though.

The Ravenwing retained their original chapter colours. Black.

The only colur I have some trouble confirming is the colour of DA Pre-Heresy robs? I've done mine black, as it has been mentioned that they were dark!!!!

Vaulkhar
13-05-2008, 16:51
According to Descent, the Order wore white surplices over their armour as part of their uniform and the Legion adopted this (and by extension the robes) when they reached Caliban. Whether this was a mark of respect or to help compliance along is unclear.

Drakon
13-05-2008, 20:39
so your saying the armour is all black and the robes are white then??

I thought they were brown...

How come in the CSM codex the "unknown" CSM(which everyone knows are the fallen) have green armour and scorched brown robes?

Does this mean that they have recanted and changed the minds on the colors?

And i remember in descent of angels the ravenwing are in it. Which means it was around before they even became marines.

Atleast black is an easy army to paint :D

Feor
13-05-2008, 20:47
Well, to be fair, he is just "unknown" not automatically a fallen angel.

I wish The DA had retained the Ironwing. Haveing 6th company Deploy as nothing but Predators and Land Raiders would have been loads of fun. :)

razormasticator
13-05-2008, 20:51
There is no disputing that Dark Angels wore all black in Pre-Heresy and into early RT era days. Its after that they changed to the green and the black went to the succesors unforgiven chapters.

HiveFleetEzekial
14-05-2008, 20:25
DA Terminators were originally black too. Space Hulk's deathwing edition ran the story of how 5 Terminators saved a planet they were recruiting from, from a Genestealer infestation. The planet was home to native Indian tribes, the Terminators in question had come from this planet. They were expecting to die in the coming battle, as so in keeping with the tradition of their roots, painted their Armour White to signify Death. In short they obviously kicked ****, saved the day and managed to get home in time for tea and purity seals.... Good story though.

The Ravenwing retained their original chapter colours. Black.

The only colur I have some trouble confirming is the colour of DA Pre-Heresy robs? I've done mine black, as it has been mentioned that they were dark!!!!

it was 30, plus a librarian, not just 5 in total. The 5 (6 + libi actually) that you hear of through the story are just the sergeants of the multiple squads. (it even says such in the story, and talks of them each going back to 'their men' to organize).

talos935
14-05-2008, 23:26
People mentioning about the Unknown legion in the CSM codex, you have to remember that the fallen may of repainted their armour in mockery of the DA. Also to possibly try and confuse historians and tarnish the DA's name/honour [do DAs have honour?].

Drakon
15-05-2008, 01:05
People mentioning about the Unknown legion in the CSM codex, you have to remember that the fallen may of repainted their armour in mockery of the DA. Also to possibly try and confuse historians and tarnish the DA's name/honour [do DAs have honour?].

Never have and never will :evilgrin:

TheDarkDaff
15-05-2008, 06:45
it was 30, plus a librarian, not just 5 in total. The 5 (6 + libi actually) that you hear of through the story are just the sergeants of the multiple squads. (it even says such in the story, and talks of them each going back to 'their men' to organize).

Although this does bring up a small problem. What the hell were they doing sending 30 Terminators as well as a Terminator Librarian and a Captain for a recruitment drive?

HiveFleetEzekial
15-05-2008, 07:43
Well it was the *only* world they were recruiting from at the time. And at first, IIRC, it was just the sergeants scouting out, and they called on their squads only when they found out about the 'stealer infestation. (It's been a while since I read it, but I know they had a good reason for having that many there)

electricwolf
15-05-2008, 11:15
Ok, so the regulars amongst the Fallen have their armour painted black as per pre-heresy Dark Angels armour, but what do we know about the colors of their Terminators and Bikers?

I can't remember what the current fluff over when the Deathwing and the Ravenwing were founded....

I would recommend reading three books, Angel of Darkness, Descent of Angels and there is an old book called Deathwing. All of these are very good at giving the history of the Dark Angels.

The Deathwing would be blakc as black was their original colour before plainsworld.

I think the ravenwing would also be black but i'm not sure they had bikes during the heresy, i think the bikes may have come afterwards. (they rode horses originally).

oh also wikipedia has a good entry on the Dark Angels.

Leftenant Gashrog
15-05-2008, 14:33
Well it was the *only* world they were recruiting from at the time. I dont believe that was ever stated, tho the fact they only recruited from that world every 100 years would suggest otherwise - I think it was more along the lines of a reward, to let the honoured veterans see their homeworld again.

LordCypher
15-05-2008, 21:14
Original Fallen that were around during the heresy wore black armor. Post heresy fallen are dark green or a different color based on their patron god.

Koryphaus
16-05-2008, 03:28
I think the ravenwing would also be black but i'm not sure they had bikes during the heresy, i think the bikes may have come afterwards. (they rode horses originally)..

Why do you say that? I'd have mine on jetbikes like the Emperor's Children ride in the HH CCG. After all, the master has one, back then the rest if the company probably did too. Here's a thought: When the Lion wakes and all that, would he use his massive intellect to rebuild and teach the Techmarines how to build jetbikes for the rest of the Ravenwing?

TheDarkDaff
16-05-2008, 06:47
Well it was the *only* world they were recruiting from at the time. And at first, IIRC, it was just the sergeants scouting out, and they called on their squads only when they found out about the 'stealer infestation. (It's been a while since I read it, but I know they had a good reason for having that many there)

I got confirmation of this from Lexicanum so it might not be accurate but the story Deathwing was orginally released in 1999 with a lone Terminator Squad attacking the Genestealers. The book was then rereleased in 2000 with unspecified edits as well as 3 new stories. The extra terminators could have been one of those unamed edits to the story.

So if you have a copy of Deathwing (mine got lent out and never returned) have a look at the publishing date.