PDA

View Full Version : Got an extra 250pts to spend on wood elves ideas?

Bumble the Great
13-05-2008, 09:32
Hi
Im going to be playing in a campaign in a month or so and have just been informed that the point value has been put up to 2250 from 2k.

I rather like this idea as i already have an established list that works well at 2000 and this gives me the chance to have a bit of fun! As I type this up I dont have the list to hand so sorry for no point values or magic items but a quick breakdown includes.

Alter Kindred Highbourn
Wardancer Noble
2 lvl 2 spellsingers
2 Gladeguard x 10
3 dryad x 8
1 scouts x 10
2 wardancers x 6/5 (maybe one of each)
1 treeman

Something like that anyway, so any ideas guys also info on how to use any units that are not in this list would be great as I havnt really experimented much!

Cheers

chase the hero
13-05-2008, 23:09
you really cant got too terribly wrong with some waywatcher units.

Bumble the Great
14-05-2008, 09:09
Really I always think they are just a little over priced and scouts could do the same job for cheaper

Kukkelukke
14-05-2008, 21:19
I hate waywatchers.. overpriced and easy to catch..

- Scouts suck too, get fast cav. instead.. ;)

- Treekin are cheap, hard and the only thing that really can take a charge ;) Many would say that Eg are better at this, but i disagree. They have a stupid save and a ridiculos strength. Even with noble they stink.

Bumble the Great
15-05-2008, 10:10
I do like the scouts have not had alot of luck with waywatchers in the past however do like the idea of treekin although im not shore if they will do well in the almost all skirmishing offence.

whats your opinion of warhawks I tend to do alot of terror in this army and maybe something to chase fleeing units would be nice?

luckyguy
15-05-2008, 12:53
Warhawks might be good. In addition to catching stuff they are flying cav (US2). So if you can position a min size unit of 3 behind an enemy that ends up fleeing they will be auto destroyed.

20" flying also allows you to easily get them into postion to march block and they can pop a few shots off while doing it.

I like warhawk riders. I have six so I can field a large unit or two units of three if I choose to do so. Though 1 min size unit can be very useful for the reasons above.

Eigilb
15-05-2008, 12:58
4 treekin for 260pt seems like a viable choise... Works very nice in tandem with a Treeman, or alone.

Or dryads... I'm no huge fan of dryads myself ( I dont play WE myself, but face them alot), but they are very point effective, and can take on most things!

Bumble the Great
15-05-2008, 13:27
Warhawks might be good. In addition to catching stuff they are flying cav (US2). So if you can position a min size unit of 3 behind an enemy that ends up fleeing they will be auto destroyed.

20" flying also allows you to easily get them into postion to march block and they can pop a few shots off while doing it.

I like warhawk riders. I have six so I can field a large unit or two units of three if I choose to do so. Though 1 min size unit can be very useful for the reasons above.

ok so with the 250 points I could field 2 units of them which could be good fun or 1 unit of 6 I have the special slots for both not sure might have to get a game in before the campaign thanks very much for that

4 treekin for 260pt seems like a viable choise... Works very nice in tandem with a Treeman, or alone.

Or dryads... I'm no huge fan of dryads myself ( I dont play WE myself, but face them alot), but they are very point effective, and can take on most things!

I already have alot of dryads so not sure on taking more but the treekin option seems like a good idea as well I have a treeman and hopefully that will distract opponents so the treekin get in to combat also do you think the treekin champion is worth it?

What do you guys think about wildriders any good? if so what sort of numbers do you use and what role do they take with the rest of the army?

Putty
15-05-2008, 13:37
either dryads or bigger wardancer troupes.

for 2.25k pts, 5/6 wardancers is too lightweight.

Bumble the Great
15-05-2008, 13:50
kind of wanted to take something new and exciting for me. Besides I really like the way the 6 man units work IMHO thats the best unit size for them

xragg
15-05-2008, 14:22
Your list is lacking glade riders and bait.
1 unit of glade riders x5 w/ musician
1 great eagle
3 more wardancers to your thin units you have
=248 pts

By the way, waywatchers are not bad at all. The ability to possibly set up within and inch of the enemy if in a terrain piece is priceless. Add in the fact they have killing blow longbows that only miss on a 1 and 2 poisoned hand weapons so they can easily eliminate warmachines. I personally feel both choices can be a tad pricey when a 50pt eagle can do the same job for less points.

Admiral Samuel Eden
15-05-2008, 18:41
Great eagles are useful and work out often better than War Hawks in my opinion, glade riders are fantastic and you will wonder why you never used them once you start. I would advise to enlarge you wardancer troops and way watchers are nice. You just have to be careful how you use them. If you get them in a wood near enemy heavy cavalry, then your opponent is going to hate you. A unit of 6 has got an almost guaranteed kill statistically speaking and they will stop the cavalry from moving anywhere in a hurry which is very useful.

Bumble the Great
16-05-2008, 09:23
OK guys thanks for all advice! im going to try out taking a unit of 5 glade riders and sieroulsy beefing up the wardancers and see how that plays in a practise game.
Shoudl be this weekend so i will let you know how it goes
Thanks all once again!