PDA

View Full Version : The Ruby Goblet

redrum
13-05-2008, 16:07
I'm not sure why but something about the wording of this item seriously confuses me.

Basically at the end of the phase in which you take your first wound (character or unit) "The bearer (and any unit he is with) cannot be wounded on better than a 3+ from any non-magical source."

Is it simply that any roll to wound against the unit that scores a 3+ fails to wound? That seems pretty powerful for a 30pt item. Or, and this is certainly possible, am I just totally reading this wrong?

Atrahasis
13-05-2008, 16:19
It's worded fairly badly, but what it means is that the bearer and unit cannot be wounded on the roll of a 2.

In other words, if they are T3, S5+ will wound them on a 3+, and not a 2+ as normal.

T10
13-05-2008, 16:28
A roll to wound of 2+ is considered better than 3+.

The item reduces the effect of high strength attacks (typically those S5 or more) by making the unit slightly more difficult to wound.

EDIT: As Atrahsis said.

A roll of 1 to wound always fails, but with this item rolls of 2 to wound will also (almost) always fail to wound.

-T10

redrum
13-05-2008, 16:32
Okay I see now, thanks guys. That is really worded strangely, I can't be the only person who was confused about that. The way it reads is almost exactly opposite of the way it actually works. Before I said it seemed overpowered for the points now I'm not sure it's actually worth the points, lol.

Atrahasis
13-05-2008, 16:37
If you view "better" from the point of view of the person doing the wounding, it should be a lot clearer.