4 kroxigors-232
3 salamanders-195

2003 points
10PD
6DD 1 scroll

This is mark 1 of a lizardmen list. any comments and/or advice is appreciated

Malorian
13-05-2008, 16:52
4th gen slann aren't worth their points. Just take priests instead. To be honest I've yet to come up with a 2000 list that a slann fit into...

Sotek on a big unit of saurus? Will be great if you get the charge off with them. Usually works better on small counter attack units, but this will be a nasty surprise if you catch someone with it ; )

Kai Itzah
13-05-2008, 18:05
If you scout or your priests or give them the Cloak of Feathers it will really help your Slann. You could leave it solo and as backwards as possible, using the Priests to get a line of sight. I'd also consider breaking your Saurus units down into two units of 15 and maybe a single unit of 10, or you could bolster your other units with the spare points, maybe Scout your Skinks/Priests. Also, I personally would choose Tlazcotl over Sotek to remove the chance of your Saurus being ridiculously beaten by Undead etc. Especially against VC, because of they're lack of ranged combat you'll have the best chance of getting into combat against them - you wouldn't want that moment to be ruined by psychology.

Other than that I think it's a pretty strong list. You may want to watch you don't get bad luck with the Scar Vet. Striking last against characters doesn't help with 2 wounds and a 5+ save, neither does being out in the open.

Numiel
13-05-2008, 19:51
I would always go for 2nd generation Slann, maximum kitted out, 2-3 skink Shamans and no Saurus at all. Rest of army is 2 x 3 Kroxigor, Stegadon, Salamander and Skinks. Works somehow brilliant for me. I always take all D6 damage spell of each list and blast away. Anyhing that comes near has to handle the Kroxis and the Stegadon. Flying Character Killers are always surprised to face a lone Slann that has Static +3...(army standard, War Banner and US 8!). But I am just crazy... :-)

vinny t
14-05-2008, 16:58
Should I switch spawning of sotek for spawning of +1 scaly skin and concentrate on a "thunder lizard"? Or, if Igo this path, should I ditch something for another block of saurus? I personally enjoy the 4th Gen. Slann, because miscasting can be a big game breaker, and I'd rather not run the risk(no matter how slight).

redrum
14-05-2008, 17:11
Flying Character Killers are always surprised to face a lone Slann that has Static +3...(army standard, War Banner and US 8!). But I am just crazy... :-)

Hmm, are Slann considered monsters? I don't see that anywhere. Unless he's a monster he wouldn't be US8, he'd be US5. Considering he starts with 6W and only has US5 I think he's always a US5. I could be wrong though.

@Vinny T - I agree with you about the 4th Gen Slann. For me it's either 4th or 2nd, no point in the other Gens. Sotek is just hard to get the benefit out of for Saurus since they really aren't set up to charge. I'd take Quetzl on any large units (or Talzcotl if you're facing fear causing enemies) and put Sotek on a small unit for supporting charges.

EvC
14-05-2008, 17:22
Yes, it's actually US5, but his point is still solid, most stuff that bundles into the Slann expecting an easy kill or CR victory are going to be surprised (I suffered recently having my Wight King BSB charge on his lonesome, as my opponent hadn't identified his Slann as a BSB. Three turns later, crumbled- but at least it neutered his Slann's ability to cast).

I really like the list, it's got nice character. Whatever you do don't switch the list to 2nd Gen, 20 Skinks, max special/ rare like some might suggest, unless you want a dull identikit army. Probably best to switch over to Quetzl, after all, it's your Krox that should be in the counterattack role.

N810
14-05-2008, 17:49
You might consider makiing one unit of skinks non scouting and give them javelins
so they can screen your krox.

Dragoonzero0
14-05-2008, 18:11
I agree with the previous poster. Screening the kroxi's is really important. Everybody knows what these guys are capable of. The lone slann list is pretty strong. I think you have put together a decent list. Keep things grouped. You could get hurt by bad terrain. Also never underestimate Salamanders. I always go with the 2nd gen slann myself but i think you could do alright with the 4th gen machine gun. Good luck. I would love to hear about how you do.

redrum
14-05-2008, 18:38
Yes, it's actually US5, but his point is still solid, most stuff that bundles into the Slann expecting an easy kill or CR victory are going to be surprised (I suffered recently having my Wight King BSB charge on his lonesome, as my opponent hadn't identified his Slann as a BSB. Three turns later, crumbled- but at least it neutered his Slann's ability to cast).

Oh I agree, it's most certainly a valid point. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't cheating myself with the unit strength issue :D

vinny t
14-05-2008, 19:16
Actually, all of my skinks are non scouting, I just love having 20 poisoned blowpipe shots a turn

N810
14-05-2008, 19:37
Oops I guess I mistook Skirmishing for scouting,
I'll consider it considered. :D

Blowpipes are definately effective with
3x10 skinks,
that 60 poisoned shots if they double shoot.