PDA

View Full Version : Quick Loken Question (Galaxy In Flames Spoilers)

teh_soldier
13-05-2008, 21:04
Just a thought, does it actually say in any of the HH books that Loken is dead?
I know its heavily implied, he's crushed under an amount of rubble that no-one could survive, under the foot of a traitor Titan.

However, it does seem to me the kind of "death" that teh hero always comes back from, the kind where "no-one could survive, but he found a way" type thing.

Torgaddon was shown to have his throat cut and die on the floor of the chapel, but Loken just "disappears" for want of a better phrase.

Just seems like he'll be making a suprise come back (even though Abnett's said that he'll be appearing later on in the series, however it may just be as a "flashback" to before the start of the Heresey.

Input?

chris.thor
13-05-2008, 21:14
Well, As with Saul Tarvitz and the loyalists holed up in the Warsinger's Temple, we never actually get "And then he was crushed/bombed/stabbed/shot to death" But it is inferred that this is the case.

I think we can assume that Loken is dead, and tbh I kind of hope he is, since any other outcome would screw up the fluff I have written for a Space Marine army.

Creeping_Death
13-05-2008, 22:12
Well, As with Saul Tarvitz and the loyalists holed up in the Warsinger's Temple, we never actually get "And then he was crushed/bombed/stabbed/shot to death" But it is inferred that this is the case.

I think we can assume that Loken is dead, and tbh I kind of hope he is, since any other outcome would screw up the fluff I have written for a Space Marine army.

You should stop worrying about your army fluff, I'm sure if they do bring back Loken in the series that there will be plenty more opportunities for him to die again before the end of the heresy :p

Personally I hope he does make some kind of return, even if it is just a flashback. The first three books have made much more of an impression on me than any of the others purely because you got to know a regular cast of characters instead of just one offs...

decker_cky
13-05-2008, 22:41
Yea, Tarvitz is heavily implied to be dead, but I got the impression that against all odds, Loken was sitting there under all the crushing rubble, but still living.

I'd imagine he could be one of the loyal space marines described as a possible founding of the daemonhunters:

Another possible source for their gene-seed is a purified 'cocktail' of the eight loyal Space Marines from the traitor legions, presented to the Emperor by Malcador the Sigillite, during the Siege of the Emperor's Palace. Malcador had been charged by the Emperor to gather a group of people whose loyalty, courage and strength of mind was unquestionable. The resulting eight marines possessed paranormal skills that were kept dormant (in respect of the Council of Nikaea's previous ruling) and had cast aside former loyalty to legion and Primarch. The Emperor is believed to have responded, "Malcador, you have judged well. These eight Space Marines do indeed have a vital role to play in the future of the Imperium, though veiled in secrecy will they be."

Possibly we'll learn more later, but I think that, along with Garro and some other loyalists from the traitor legions could be part of the geneseed. Though I suppose Qruze covers the Luna Wolves too.

Anyways, I see him as being alive.

Koryphaus
14-05-2008, 00:45
Was he wearing Terminator Armour? If yes he could be alive.

decker_cky
14-05-2008, 08:22
He was wearing torn open power armour. :D

Lastie
14-05-2008, 09:40
Hopefully he's dead, deceased, and extinguished; his soul torn apart by ravaging Furies in the formless wastes of the Warp. :p

Probably not though ...

Rockerfella
14-05-2008, 10:11
Well, i hope that hasn't happened to him. I like Loken, thought he was a top bloke actually. A good egg if ever there was one.

So there. ;P

=Angel=
14-05-2008, 10:21
I'd imagine that's Lastie's issue with him- he was a bit one sidedly good.
Not that he didn't punch his way through un armed civilians, which he did.

I hope the guy's alive , I quite liked the idea that not everybody in a legion turned from the moral high ground to kicking puppies because of some silver medallions and Horus' say so.

pookie
14-05-2008, 10:41
it doesnt say he died no, although as pointed out it is implied that he does, although i could certainly see him surving being buried under rubble, its not as tho normal people cant survive that.

electricwolf
14-05-2008, 11:31
Even if Loken is crushed could he not have gone into a form of hibernation to try to preserve himself?

Can't the space marines put themselves in some form of hibernation?

I have loved reading Galaxy in Flames. It's what i thought all along, not all of the traitor legions could have turned there had to be some that still believed in the Emperor and tried to stop the traitors.

Templar-Sun
14-05-2008, 11:36
Loken will return to avenge his friend Torgaddon's death. Little Horus watch out!!

Templar-Sun

x-esiv-4c
14-05-2008, 11:40
I'm fairly sure we will be seeing Loken again.

Thoth62
14-05-2008, 13:21
I hope we don't. I'm sure that most people assume that he's deceased, and I'd hate to see some author bring him back for the sake of bringing him back. It smacks of poor storytelling.

The pestilent 1
14-05-2008, 13:30
He better stay dead.

Besides, I think we all know by now which Horus it is that will be turning of the shields at a certain pivotal moment.
:p

Edit: And building falling on him aside: they bombed the crap out of the position as well, remember.

biggreengribbly
14-05-2008, 13:39
Loken will return to avenge his friend Torgaddon's death. Little Horus watch out!!

Templar-Sun

Isn't 'slaying champions of the dark gods' at the Siege of the Emperors Palace Sigismund's job? :angel:What with the majority of the Chaos characters being those that are still alive at the current point in the 40k timeline, that's kinda leaving precious few for the poor guy to have a go at.

... presuming of course that the First Emperors Champion isn't relegated to challenging 'redshirt' champions of chaos to single combat. :eyebrows:

pookie
14-05-2008, 14:32
He better stay dead.

Besides, I think we all know by now which Horus it is that will be turning of the shields at a certain pivotal moment.
:p

you stealing my idea :evilgrin:

x-esiv-4c
14-05-2008, 14:38
I agree that being stomped by a titan should be fairly terminal. However, I have a suspicion that he will show up in a later book to save the day...
As bad as that is.

*maccas*
14-05-2008, 15:02
i remember reading a bit of fluff in which a terminator was stood on by a titan and survived so although it could be possible for loken (albeit in power armour) to survive (possibly by entering the red dream) i would rather he stayed "dead" as novels where all the goodies end up fine get rather tiresome.

=Angel=
14-05-2008, 15:04
Isn't 'slaying champions of the dark gods' at the Siege of the Emperors Palace Sigismund's job? :angel:What with the majority of the Chaos characters being those that are still alive at the current point in the 40k timeline, that's kinda leaving precious few for the poor guy to have a go at.

... presuming of course that the First Emperors Champion isn't relegated to challenging 'redshirt' champions of chaos to single combat. :eyebrows:

Good point. Though 3rd ed defined chamipons as characters- Veteran sergeants and Exarch's were game.

Perhaps he killed Kharn, Lucius Ahriman and Typhus, only to find that they were actually Alpha legionnaires pretending to be Omegon posing as Alpharious in disguise as chaos champions.

decker_cky
14-05-2008, 18:46
Actually, now that I think about it, the biggest reason I think Loken will survive is that it doesn't make sense for Abaddon to not get the final blow if Loken isn't going to survive to come back later.

Barltok
14-05-2008, 19:04
I'd say be prepared for him to come back as a dreadnought. If I recall correctly the EC dreadnought made it underground, and would be fully capable of clearing some rubble away to get to his body, assuming he knew where he was. I don't know where they would get a dreadnought to put him in though, or who would "hook him up right," though I do know that if he has Loken take his place in the machine, I'll probably have a fit of nerd rage.

Lastie
14-05-2008, 23:01
A good egg if ever there was one.

That's pretty much my problem with him: good eggs simply don't belong in the 41st millennium.

Rockerfella
14-05-2008, 23:11
That's pretty much my problem with him: good eggs simply don't belong in the 41st millennium.

I see it the other way round i'm afriad.

I'm tired of the 'ooooh, everyone must be dark and emo and badass in order to be cool' ditritus. Its frankly suffocating. Its just, trash.

I liked Loken because he was more than capable of pulling your arms out their sockets if he wanted to, and would i'm sure if you gave him any gip, but more than that, I liked him because he was a man. Sort of, a real bloke. He had honour, didn't wear eye liner, didn't lose his temper at the smallest thing (please, change the record) and still would face down Abaddon and his cronies just to prove a point. I mean, what do you want?

Loken was a good egg. There's always room for a good egg, regardless of what millenium it is. In my humble and utterly meaningless opinion, of course. ;)

talos935
14-05-2008, 23:46
To be honest I hope he's dead, ironicly I see it as a kinda him as a anti-hero martyr. If the Imperium truely knew what happened on Istvaan III, he would of been writen in the annuals as a hero, but the official record is that Horus declared his rebelion against the commander of Istvaan III. Horus pretty much rode upto the planet and nuked it and then torched it, there isn't a single mention of an internal cull of 'loyalists'. The only the drop site massacre would have some potentially recorded heroes.

Firaxin
15-05-2008, 03:28
I liked Loken because he was more than capable of pulling your arms out their sockets if he wanted to, and would i'm sure if you gave him any gip, but more than that, I liked him because he was a man. Sort of, a real bloke. He had honour

That's exactly like Chewbacca. But we all know how he ended up.
(or do we?)