PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point Daemon army

Firebreather
14-05-2008, 14:18
So, with three possible army lists in this thread, it seemed to be a little too convoluted and completely lacking focus. Instead, I've taken my favorite of the three lists I posted, deleted everything else, and hopefully brought a little order to the...errr, chaos.

Here's one of the first 1500 point lists I've written up since getting the new Daemon book. It's still very much a work in progress, so please feel free to suggest anything at all. Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Herald of Khorne-
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne

Herald of Tzeentch-
Disc of Tzeentch
Flames of Tzeentch
Master of Sorcery OR Spellbreaker

Herald of Slaanesh-
Level 1 Wizard
Allure of Slaanesh
Torment Blade

19 Bloodletters-
Musician
Bloodreaper
Standard Bearer
Icon of Endless War

12 Daemonettes

12 Daemonettes

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Screamers

2 Fiends of Slaanesh

TOTAL-1501pts.

bojo
14-05-2008, 17:58
One piece of advice; if u r gona make a good strong atemp at a particular face of the game focous on one god for the hroes. e.g.For a verry strong magic phase take tzeentch heralds

Firebreather
14-05-2008, 18:07
I think I see what you're saying, bojo. You mean, if I want my army to excell in just one phase of any given game(ie. magic, close combat, etc.), only take Heralds of the appropriate god that excells in that area?

While that makes complete sense, that's not really the way I want my armies(of any kind) to function. I much more prefer having a force that can do well in most, if not all, of the phases in the game.

Your point is well-taken, and I completely understand what you mean and see the effectiveness of it, but that's not really what I want out of an army. I like a little of everything that, hopefully with some luck, works together effectively and takes advantage of the latent synergy in the army list.

Thanks for the response!

Edit: I should also add that, while your idea is generally sound, in some ways it's not always the case. For example, both Heralds of Slaanesh and Khorne can be excellent in combat, but they excell at it in different ways, and in some cases are more effective against different armies, or even different units in different armies.

I'm a big fan of variety, to say the least, and limiting my character choices to that of one god wouldn't work all that well for me. I've often found that a varied selection gives you greater tactical scope, and the ability to respond to the enemy more effectively. It also makes things harder for the enemy, as instead of having to worry about you in one major way, s/he has multiple things to deal with from you.

I don't at all disagree with what you've said, however, because my preference for doing things has its' downsides. Variety often means that while I can happily participate in every phase of the game fairly well, I don't completely excell and dominate any one of them.

Firebreather
14-05-2008, 20:58
I've cleaned up the thread a little, as it lacked focus(thanks entirely to me, of course!), and just had too many army lists going on to really look at effectively. I've deleted wasted posts(once again, by me), and saved the army list I most liked of the lot for you folks to look at, and hopefully even comment on.

I'm really very new to the whole Daemon thing, so anything you've got to add will be incredibly helpful to me, I promise;)

Firebreather
14-05-2008, 23:05
I wonder if replying to your own thread is as bad as talking to yourself when there's no one around?
Oh well...

As much as I like the list posted above, I can't help but feel something's not quite right, what with it's shameful lack of a solid unit of Plaguebearers and all. The amount of raving I've done about them in a few other threads just makes it even more baffling as to why I've left them out here.

Well, I didn't want to go and change up the current list before getting at least SOME feedback on it, but my conscience has got the best of me. I'm going to switch up some stuff and add a goodly sized unit of Plaguebearers and a Herald of Nurgle, who's all geared up to buff his lesser brethren.

I'm thinking an additon like that will change the list up quite a bit, so I'll edit the original post with the yet-to-come new list when it's ready for inspection. Thanks for being patient with this, everyone. It's been a while since I've dived into a completely new and strange army.

Firebreather
14-05-2008, 23:43
I've decided to keep the original post as it is, and post the new list here. This way, it's all still there, easy to see and reference if need be, and also go back to if this newest one is utter trash;) Here's the list, complete with added Plaguebearers and whatnot. Let me know how it looks, and if there's some potential here...

Herald of Nurgle-
Level 1 Wizard
Slime Trail
Noxious Vapours

Herald of Tzeentch-
Disc of Tzeentch
Flames of Tzeentch
Master of Sorcery

Herald of Khorne-
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne

20 Plaguebearers-
Musician
Plagueridden
Standard Bearer
Icon of Eternal Virulence

15 Bloodletters-
Musician
Bloodreaper
Standard Bearer

10 Daemonettes

5 Flesh Hounds

4 Screamers

1 Fiend of Slaanesh

TOTAL-1500pts.

So, thoughts?

Gralph!?!
14-05-2008, 23:59
hmmm... the first thing i would do personally is drop the fire storm blade on the khorne herald. why? simply put why spend another 25pts just to get strength 7 attacks? you are already good against anything out there with high strength ad killing blow, the strength 7 is kinda pointless really. armour is fine on the herald.

with the army list as a whole i would probably do 1 of two things. the first would be to change the tzeentch herald in to taking the spell breaker gift and the wings so it can fly about and hide while taking pot shots and with the low dispel dice available the dispel scroll effect should help alot. if not then dropping the daemonettes for a unit of 10 horrors will make for some more magic and more dispel dice which is needed in the list. at the moment the daemonettes look kinda pointless in the list, they have no command, no herald to boost there strengths and the points would be better adding to the lists strengths and helping in one of its weaknesses which is dispel and power dice.

fleshhounds are outterly awesome, they dish ou a whole lot of damamgeand are hard to kill with the 2 wounds. it may be an idea to use them more of a flanking unit ratherthan frontal charges as with out standards and the like they will crumble to combat res.

a single fiend will not do a whole lot, it may be able to get ahold of warmachines pretty fast but will also be shot at alotbecause iof it. it will not negate ranks in a flank charge which is reason to take 2. all in all i would consider dropping it in order to bulk out other units or get another one.

from the looks of it, if you drop the fiend, the disc on the tzeentch herald and the fire storm blade you will be saving a fair few points. if you were to also drop the level 1 wizard upgrade on the nurgle herald it would allow you to get another unit of horrors which will cause more targets your opponent must deal with and on top of that it will give you a "reliable" killer to infatry blocks rather than the miasma spell which is not going to be in effect a whole lot to be honest.

minionboy
15-05-2008, 00:00
I'd consider swapping out your Khorne Herald for Skulltaker, he's a deal at 150 Points and can wipe the floor with any other hero he'll encounter at 1500 points.

Firebreather
15-05-2008, 03:56
First of all, thanks for the responses! I haven't had time to go through them both fully yet, so I'll do that as soon as I get a chance, and return with my thoughts on them, and perhaps some list revisions if adequately convinced....and like I've said, such convincing shouldn't be too hard, and I'm in the learning stage of things when it comes to Daemons, and very much open to any and all advice.

So, that said, again thanks for the responses! I'll be able to read them fully and give them the thought and credence they deserve sometime soon. So keep your eyes peeled for an update!

StefDa
15-05-2008, 11:11
I think you should get Flamers. They rock. 'nuff said :)

Firebreather
16-05-2008, 23:24
Okay, thanks again for the replies thus far everyone! It seems as though much of the suggestions given here point to making an entirely different(well, almost) army list than the one I've posted. Fair enough, and point well taken.

That said, I suppose I should mention that, at the moment, I'd like to focus things around Daemonettes and Bloodletters for the most part. They're plastic, cheaper, and look pretty....so they're a good place to start for me.

With that in mind, how is the best way of going about making the best out of Daemonettes and Bloodletters in a 1500 point army? Also, with them as the core of the army, what would I add to effectively support them and lead them?