PDA

View Full Version : Grave Guard or Black Knights...

Sloppyjayman
14-05-2008, 15:35
I cant decide which unit is better.... I love the models of both.... A unit of 25 Grave Guard are about the same number of points as 10 Black Knights... I have about 320 points left for my 2000 point list.

Brief Summary of my list...
12 Ghouls
12 Ghouls
20 Zombies
10 Dire Wolves
Corpse Cart w/ load stone
Black Coach

Vampire Lord lvl 4 caster heavy (raise ghouls on 2+ with skull staff)
Vampire lvl 1 fighter
Necromancer
Manfred the Acolyte on Abyssal Terror

12 power dice (+1 to cast)
7 dispel dice (+1 to dispel)
3 bound spells

Thanks in advance for the advice

theunwantedbeing
14-05-2008, 15:37
No drakenhof banner...so black knights it is.

Max zero
14-05-2008, 15:49
Why wouldn't you use a Darkenhof Banner with Black Knights?

Sloppyjayman
14-05-2008, 15:52
What does that banner do? How many points is it? I was thinking of using the banner that doubles unit strength for which ever unit i use...

Shamfrit
14-05-2008, 15:57
Two units of Black Knights, or one mid size with a magic banner should work. Ethereal Cavalry is wrong, on so many levels, and will support the fast nature of your list much more than another rank and file unit.

On a side note, you cast on 3+, unless I'm missing something since you need 3+ before modifiers otherwise the spell fizzles.

Sloppyjayman
14-05-2008, 16:37
I have the skull staff which grants me +1 to cast and dispel. Then i get another =1 to raise ghouls from the vampiric power. I am talking about invocation of N. But yes, to raise Grave Guard or Black Knights it would be 3+.

Thanks for the replies so far....

ThrowN
14-05-2008, 17:32
A spell is only cast successful on an UNMODIFIED roll of 3+...it's somewhere in the rulebook, probably the Magic section ;)

Lord Aries
14-05-2008, 17:36
yes, in the BRB any spell cannot be cast on less than a 3, so using the staff doesn't help much.

FOR your army, think about 2 units of 5 black nights...

One tactic is to take the banner of the barrows on grave guard. It gives them a +1 to hit. Then take the helm of command on your lord who hides in a unit nearby. This makes them hit pretty much everything on a 2+. Put a BSB with the regeneration banner in the unit, and you have an unstoppable anvil unit.

Shamfrit
14-05-2008, 17:41
One tactic is to take the banner of the barrows on grave guard. It gives them a +1 to hit. Then take the helm of command on your lord who hides in a unit nearby. This makes them hit pretty much everything on a 2+. Put a BSB with the regeneration banner in the unit, and you have an unstoppable anvil unit.

Case closed I reckon :cool:

Oberon
14-05-2008, 17:45
Works just as well on black knights, they can take the banner of barrows too. I almost always take GG just because of the added security of static CR, they won't win me games unless either player commits heavily in CC around the GG regiment, but they won't die too easily either, and keep a lot of points safe.

minionboy
14-05-2008, 17:45
Yeah, page 107 of the big book... Under the heading "MINIMUM 3 TO CAST"

However, having +2 to casting is still hot, it means you're effectively rolling a 5-8 on one dice, which means people will usually need to use 2 dice to dispel it. Unless they're jerk HE players with a Staff of Sorcery...

Spirit
15-05-2008, 00:54
I have been toying with both, and in a magic heavy army, Grave Guard win hands down.

Why? Because of one thing, they are infantry, they get d6 models back with every casting of a 4+ (3+ with lord lol) spell.

They are unkillable, give good rank bonuses and in no way need reat weapons to perform, 3+ or 4+ save for the win.

Anyone who says they need the drakenhoff banner is silly, people target them alot more without the banner, which is a GOOD thing! They have to get through T4 and 4+ save rather than T3 and 5+ save (or t4 ghouls) and thus kill LESS than normal, but you still raise them back at full strength just as easily as the skeletons or ghouls.

Edit: Just realised your using manfred on an abyssal horror... WHY?! He has t4, 2 wounds and no armour save, good luck letting him survive on a large target.