PDA

View Full Version : Marauder armament?

Incoming
14-05-2008, 19:41
I'm not a veteran Warhammer player, I've mostly played 40K.
For the moment I have a couple of marauder blocks armed with Greatweapons.

Now I'm considering giving them Light armour and Shields as well..

Is it wise to give marauders on foot all 3, or is it a big blunder?

Havock
14-05-2008, 21:09
IMO, they should be used with HW/shield for static combat res, with a 4+ save and WS4, they are fairly okay for 'average' infantry.

Great weapons should be reserved for small, 10-man 'sacrificial flankers'.

badgeraddict
14-05-2008, 21:11
Light Armour, Shields and Great Weapons?

In combat the Marauders would only get the save from the Light Armour if using a Great Weapon.

Against shooting attacks the Marauders would get the save from the Light Armour and the Shield.

Personally I would not bother with the Shields, as I could use the points on something else..ok don't know what exactly.

snyggejygge
14-05-2008, 21:40
Depends a little, will you have a character leading them? If yes, then what equipment does he have?
If you have a character w. Helm of Many Eyes he will kill about 3 guys per turn before the enemy can strike, which means that Great weapons is a better option, allowing them to strike at the enemy w. S5 each turn, generating more kills than you would save models w. any armour anyway. If however you donīt use a character, or the character does NOT have the Helm of Many Eyes, then I would say that Light armour & shield is the best option, a 4+save in combat is good enough vs most troops, then either win by a flank attack w. knights/minotaurs/chariot or by the character getting in 2-3 kills.

Bloodknight
15-05-2008, 01:13
I'd say big units HW/S, small units of 10 flails. It's 10 points cheaper that way and those 10 man units will rarely see a protracted combat because they lack combat resolution and are basically only a flank hammer unit - and combo charges usually break the enemy unit instantly, what with ignoring rank bonus and dealing S5 hits. I like flails a lot on my Norse (these are infinitely better than Chaos Marauders, although being frenzied has its disadvantages).

Bumble the Great
16-05-2008, 12:32
I'd say big units HW/S, small units of 10 flails. It's 10 points cheaper that way and those 10 man units will rarely see a protracted combat because they lack combat resolution and are basically only a flank hammer unit - and combo charges usually break the enemy unit instantly, what with ignoring rank bonus and dealing S5 hits. I like flails a lot on my Norse (these are infinitely better than Chaos Marauders, although being frenzied has its disadvantages).

Flails in small units FTW man add a couple of units of Marauder Hoursemen with flails as well and watch those flank charges fly!

Havock
16-05-2008, 12:42
Too bad I hate the look of flails...

Neknoh
16-05-2008, 12:48
Blocks of 25 Marauders with Lightarmour, Shield and Full Command

Groups of 5 Marauder Horsemen with Flails and Musician

That's about all you need for Marauders

popisdead
23-05-2008, 21:56
LA/Sh for blocks, if you take 10 flails or GW's