PDA

View Full Version : Fanatics on a Waaagh!

stashman
15-05-2008, 06:51
When a shaman casts the Waaagh! spell, does the fanatics movement count as in the compulsuary - dead on a double roll?

T10
15-05-2008, 06:58
I don't think you should move the fanatics with the Waagh spell as this could result in them charging an enemy.

-T10

decker_cky
15-05-2008, 07:07
You move them just like everything else, I think they even deal with it in the FAQ. It's not random, it's towards the closest unit and they move through units just like they would in the movement phase.

Nekrodamus
15-05-2008, 07:30
Due to the FAQ the Fanatics are 'moved exactly like in the movement phase' which means they are killed on a double, unless they were revealed in this turn (read: your just passed movement phase).

Milgram
15-05-2008, 11:17
what do you do if you can cast waaagh in the opponents magic phase due to a miscast result of 5, after your opponent moved a unit in 8' of a night goblin unit to release the fanatic? the fanatic did not have a movement phase until then. :)

(you don't have to answer this question. but as odd as it seems, we had this situation more than once and not even thought about the stumble rule).

T10
15-05-2008, 12:11
The FAQ is a mashup.

It forces the Fanatic to move because the spell allows no exceptions.

The spell describes how models move (2d6" towards nearest visible enemy, charge if able to reach), something that simply doesn't work with Fanatics as they are not intended to engage or be engaged in combat.

But now the FAQ makes an exception for the Fanatic, having it make its normal move instead of the Waaagh! move.

I prefer to assume that the Fanatic does not move at all.

-T10

stashman
15-05-2008, 22:56
The Waaagh! spell moves everything, even warmachine crew! It's a magic movement, not a compulsary movement....

Is there anyone that have countered this problem in a game?

Shamfrit
15-05-2008, 23:08
I have...repeatedly...
They move 2d6 in a random direction, exactly as normal, dying on a double.

It's not that complicated, even with or without a FAQ.

Xyon
15-05-2008, 23:20
just a small question related to fanatics, dont think requires its own thread.

can a single unit, say, a great eagle, trigger two night goblin units to launch fanatics at the same time by landing at a point where both are 8" away?

Obviously moving in such a way so that at any point during the move it doesn't get within 8" or either before it is within 8" of both.

Or would this better be achieved by charging one unit at an angle so that it goes by the first unit within 8" first, and then continues its charge move to 8" within the other unit?

stashman
15-05-2008, 23:33
I have...repeatedly...
They move 2d6 in a random direction, exactly as normal, dying on a double.

It's not that complicated, even with or without a FAQ.

Found it!

NOT random direction as long as the fanatic see an enemy unit, just head on to the closest.

Moves just like normal movement, so he can die on a double.

Shamfrit
15-05-2008, 23:38
You're correct stashman, just looked at the wording on Waaagh, that's an interesting find for sure :D

Urgat
16-05-2008, 00:11
I don't think you should move the fanatics with the Waagh spell as this could result in them charging an enemy.

-T10

It's not like you really have a choice though. Anyway, having them get into contact with a unit would have them cross through the unit as usual, I assume? They remain fanatics, they just get moved towards the nearest enemy, so if they die on a double and such, I assume the rest applies too.
Btw, I don't really understand the popularity of the Waaagh!!! spell. To me it's a burden, from times to times. It's hard to cast, it breaks your line, it fubbars your artillery, it can spell instant doom for some units or lone characters... I've never thought it was that good. Sure, your army moves forward (or sideways, if the opponent is smart enough). But at what cost?
Well at least it won't instakill your smaller units if you roll a 1, granted...

Totally unrelated question, but I'd feel silly starting a topic just for that:
I'm building my boss on great cave squig, and I'm not sure which arm to give him (spear or sword), so... what's the US of that mini (aka porko's pigstika flanker or not?)?

Braad
16-05-2008, 06:42
Cave squig has 3 wounds, if I'm right, so US 3 + 1 for the night gobbo, totals US4 and thus he does not negate rank bonus. Go pigstikka!

Anyway, I think the FAQ very clearly explains what the fanatic does. Moves exactly like in movement phase with the exception of going towards the nearest enemy. So they do say BANG on a double.

Tarax
17-05-2008, 14:22
First of all I find it hard to believe a Fanatic is 'unbroken'.

Second, the FAQ has answered the question, as has been said.

Third and final, in which order do you move the units? I guess the player can decide, but has to take into account any unit of his own which would end up against or on top of his own Fanatic.

BTW, I agree with Urgat, the spell being to hard to cast, etc.

Urgat
17-05-2008, 14:58
First of all I find it hard to believe a Fanatic is 'unbroken'.

What do you mean?

Masque
17-05-2008, 15:51
What do you mean?

I think he means it mentally.

Tarax
18-05-2008, 15:37
Thanks, Masque.

Yes, a Fanatic has his mind broken and can not think for himself. He is too crazy to concern himself with anything happening on the battlefield.

But that's just me saying that, and in my head the cracks are showing. :p :chrome: :cries: :D