PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point, first attempt

osirisisdead
15-05-2008, 12:07
Noble (tentative, might go with sword of might, heavy armor, enchanted shield, and helm of fortune)
great weapon
Armor of Caledor
Guardian Pheonix

Mage
Level 2 Wizard
Jewel of the Dusk
Dispel Scroll

Spearmen 20
sentinel
musician
standard bearer
War Banner

White Lions 12
guardian
The Gem of Courage
musician
standard bearer

Shadow Warriors 5

Sword Masters of Hoeth 7

Great Eagle

-------------------

brings us to 993 points

The noble rides in the 7x3 spearmen, and the White lions run in a 7x2 frontage. The Swordmasters stand in a cute little line of 5. I see the spearmen as a pokey anvil of death, and the White Lions are a secondary anvil as well as a nasty hammer. The sword masters are a dedicated hammer of slicey death. The shadow warriors and great eagle are march blockers, charge redirectors, and warmachine/mage hunters. The mage will be a good deal of magic support.

TK421
15-05-2008, 13:09
Can't use both the Silver Wand and Jewel as they're both Arcane Items I'm afraid. :(

I'd lose one of those and the Sentinal for the Spears and give them the War Banner. One additional Str 3 attack or an Extra +1 Combat resolution? I know which I'd take :D

osirisisdead
15-05-2008, 15:02
Ah, thanks for the heads up. Which one would be more useful at 1000 points? an extra die or an extra spell? My gut says to go with the extra die.

I edited things up a bit, bringing the spear unit up to 20, dropping an eagle (my spreadsheet didn't add that last cell, whoops! ), and dropping the swordmasters down to 5. This is more because now I'll only have to buy a box of shadow warriors, a mage box/blister, and a box of swordmasters to complete my 1000 point list than for tactical reasons.

Would it be a good idea to use either the lions or the swordmasters as a bodyguard for my mage? Which would be better suited to the task?

Also, any tips on a better way to outfit my noble? I guess I don't really need to worry about making a nasty character killer at 1000 points right? I just hope the 2+armor / 5+ward save will keep him alive well enough if he has to go up against any surprising nasties.

Marwynn
15-05-2008, 17:05
I'd suggest dropping 2 White Lions for 2 more Sword Masters. The optimal size for an HE Elite Infantry unit is 7-wide, getting the most out of the attacks. Having an extra rank of 5 behind them is good for the White Lions, but the SMs will get shot since everyone fears them.

Having 2 extra wounds before they become useless would be solid. As well as of course having extra attacks.

If this isn't possible, I know it's a waste of extra boxes and such, do with what you have.

As for which Arcane item, what lore are you trying to use? I would by default go with High Magic at this points level and the Jewel of the Dusk. You can reliably cast two spells per phase, and you have a third to rotate in there.

With that in mind I'd keep the Mage with the White Lions and move him out when they engage. If he gets the utility spells (Courage, SoS, etc) he doesn't really need LoS except with your troops if at that.

May I suggest Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix + Great Weapon? The Guardian Phoenix is rather optional, I flub those ward saves anyways. But you can get that Noble for almost the same price as your current one. +2 points I believe.

Far more dangerous with 3 S6 attacks, immunity to flaming attacks, and a 5+ ward save.

isidril93
15-05-2008, 17:14
in stead i would give the noble the sword of might since there are many attacks already from the spearelves and change the temakadors for guardian phoenix and mask of the merlord/enchanted shield

osirisisdead
15-05-2008, 17:43
I was going to go with High Magic, Drain Magic, and roll for 2 spells (trading one for Shield of Saphery if it's not something useful).

I'll go ahead and drop the cash on the extra boxes, it's not like I'm not going to have larger units of choppy death later on. :)

Thanks for the advice.

in stead i would give the noble the sword of might since there are many attacks already from the spearelves and change the temakadors for guardian phoenix and mask of the merlord/enchanted shield

Why would you go with this combination rather than the great weapon + armor of caledor?

What about heavy armor, sword of might, Enchanted Shield, helm of fortune

1+ save in hth, 3s 5 attacks, reroll failed armor saves...

or with the merlord mask + enchanted shield + pheonix

2+ save with a 5+ ward and 3 s5 attacks

or with the great weapon and armor of caledor

2+ save and a 5+ ward and 3 s6 attacks? hmm...