PDA

View Full Version : Instant Death?

Deus Mechanicus
15-05-2008, 14:53
Im normally a 40K player who's been glancing at fantasy lately. Just checking something i noticed while skimming thrhough the rulebook and it's the lack of instant death in fantasy. Does a model that's wounded by an attack twice the strenght of his toughness still only suffer one wound and not instant death as in 40k? Can't seem to find it written anywhere in the book thx

Spirit
15-05-2008, 15:09
Yes a model wounded by an attack double his toughness only suffers one wound.There is only one (main) instant death rule, that is killing blow.If a model who has killing blow, wounds a man sized model on a 6, the wounded character gets no armour saves (may take wards as normal) and if wounded, dies.

This ability USUALLY does not work on anything bigger than man sized (such as a troll)

Of course there are magic items specific to armies that can cause instant death, as well as a spell in the lore of shadows that is "take an initiative check or die".

So there are ways to instant kill, just no general rule.

Bloodknight
15-05-2008, 15:13
There is no fixed instant death rule in WFB, but there are weapons available that deal several wounds per hit, for example 2, or D3, or D6, or the Killing Blow special rule which for example Grave Guard have.

BloodiedSword
15-05-2008, 15:44
Also a nice thing to watch out for is the "do this or die" kind of instant death, such as rolling a 2 on a Miscast, or Violet Fire, or Pit of Shades as mentioned, where literally if you fail something the model is removed as a casualty, full stop. There is no possible immunity or defence against it - you just pick up the model, and put it with the dead guys.

One of the things I like a lot about Fantasy really.

EvC
15-05-2008, 15:45
But you can ward save (or regenerate) being stuffed down a Giant's pants though, right?!

BloodiedSword
15-05-2008, 15:49
Can you? I don't have the Giant rules so I have no idea, but I thought it was of the "remove this model as a casualty, ha ha ha" variety.

Mercules
15-05-2008, 15:55
But you can ward save (or regenerate) being stuffed down a Giant's pants though, right?!

Nope... the model is removed as a Casualty unless the Giant is killed in which case they are put back into play. If the Giant eats them, they are simply removed for the game.

Faustburg
15-05-2008, 15:57
It is.

There is nothing to roll a save for, no wounds lost or anything. One moment he is there, the next he simply is (effectively) a casualty.

The Clairvoyant
15-05-2008, 21:09
or the good old frost blade - take a wound and you're dead.
Nice to see that go back to its old rules (albeit you do get an armour save now)

It was what my manticore-riding, carstein ring-wearing, armour of protection-wearing cursed book-holding vampire lord always took to battle with him. Mind you, that was many years ago now! (and he cost 850pts)

Lord of Skulls
15-05-2008, 21:46
Nope... the model is removed as a Casualty unless the Giant is killed in which case they are put back into play.[...]
I don't think he's put back into play. He just doesn't count as a casualty.

decker_cky
15-05-2008, 22:42
Correct.

And the reason fantasy doesn't need instant death is armour save modifiers, which are apparently too confusing for 40k.

Mike KK
15-05-2008, 22:42
ye i don' think you would be in much fighting condition after being mono e mono with a giant's ging gang goolies