PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts. of Goblin fun.

MrBigMr
15-05-2008, 20:00
Was just playing around with the idea of a little army of nothing but goblins, using mostly Skull Pass models, which are dirt cheap and I know some conversions that'll help.

So, with little knowledge on Orcs and Goblins apart from what I've faced, mostly from a friend, how does this feel as something fun to field in smaller games?

Goblin Big Boss:
-General
-Light Armour
-Martog's Best Basha
-Spiteful Shield (with Gork'll Fix It, this is murder)
= 77pts.

Goblin Shaman:
-Lvl. 2
-Dispel Scroll
= 90pts.

Goblin Shaman:
-Lvl. 2
-Dispel Scroll
= 90pts.

Goblin Mob (30x):
-Full Command
-Shields
= 140pts.

Goblin Mob (30x):
-Full Command
-Shields
= 140pts.

Goblin Mob (25x):
-Full Command
-Shields, Spears
= 145pts.

Forest Goblin Spider Riders (5x):
-Boss
-Musician
-Short Bows
= 88pts.

Forest Goblin Spider Riders (5x):
-Boss
-Musician
-Short Bows
= 88pts.

Goblin Spear Chukka (2x):
= 70pts.

Goblin Rock Lobba:
= 70pts.

Total of 998pts.

osirisisdead
15-05-2008, 21:36
The only thing that jumps out at me at first glance is that your goblin units are kinda small. Most people run with at least 25-30 to make sure your low LD units don't succumb to panic from shooting, it's pretty easy to knock down 5 models out of a unit of goblins with any decent amount of shooting.

MrBigMr
15-05-2008, 21:47
I could exchange the archer block into more models for the shield units, making them 30 a pop. That's 5 ranks with 6 in a row. Better? Should I exchange the chukkas for another lobba? I'm not very good in quessing and I though that the chukkas could target multi-wound targets or something.

Conotor
16-05-2008, 00:58
Common goblins suck. Take night goblins. If you want shields, you will pay 25 less points for the same ability. You can also take awasome upgrades.

BattleofLund
16-05-2008, 06:53
Agree on the 'more is better'. 25-30 is a good size for a Goblin unit.

While Rock Lobbas are fun, one is enough at 1,000 points. The Spear Chukkas bring reliability to your Shooting phase; while they might not hit, they absolutely will not Misfire.

Common Goblins are good. Adding the Night Goblin carnival troops (Herders, Hoppers and Fanatics) will quickly take up a large chunk of your army. Save it for expanding the army to 1,500 points.

MrBigMr
16-05-2008, 09:22
Maybe I'm not an old timer, but I don't really see that much problem with the common Goblins. You get light armour (so that's 4+ save with shields in CC) and they have better Ld.

But I'm one of those "brainers", those that don't go for the "no brainer" choices. I have a pure Slaanesh daemon legions (no "fair" and "balanced" daemon circus for me) and Carapace Armour with my 40K Imperial Guard, which many of the vets think is one of the worst options to take with the Guard.

Like I said, this is mainly a "fun" army (you know "fun", don't you?) that's more about getting off smiles with the conversions when deployed on the table rather than pwning on every possible front. Still doesn't mean it can't even try to work. And at the moment I've calculated that this army would end up costine me about 30-40€ in models. Not a bad price for a 1000pts. army. After that it's just painting and converting.

Bumble the Great
16-05-2008, 09:32
I think you will have a great laugh with this army also strating off with a force like this will probably give you more motivation to collect, build and paint a full 2000 point goblin army (or maybe more!) as this can be a very daunting task!